Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:37   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Hey Vijay, the snorkel looks very nice & neatly fabricated. Great work sir.

Now I need to get this done on my Gypsy soon.

Hi Sir
Design Concept From Your Postings only, you are still not patented it no ?
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:45   #47
Sha
BHPian

Vijay snorkel looks good all set for water splash OTR.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Viji sir,

Any information about the pricing part of your snorkel head ? Also let me know through what channel you them in here, may be I would like to have one after our plans as discussed over the phone got into implementation stage.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Viji sir,

Any information about the pricing part of your snorkel head ? Also let me know through what channel you them in here, may be I would like to have one after our plans as discussed over the phone got into implementation stage.
Hi Shiva

(please Don't use Sir ok)

I paid 5000-00 ,i bought it from Ozone in Bangalore, its readily available with him hence i am not tried other options. i am preparing it for TPC mean i don't have sufficient time to search and organize, only one thing left from Arkas must have list, Seat belt, i take up this on Monday-V.Vijay
Old 23rd July 2009, 07:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

A newbie's question. If the snorkel is facing forward (like the safari make), will it not imbibe water if you are riding on the highway when it is raining? Is there a place where water exits?
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:11   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
A newbie's question. If the snorkel is facing forward (like the safari make), will it not imbibe water if you are riding on the highway when it is raining? Is there a place where water exits?
This link must answer all your doubts.
4x4 Connection - Snorkel FAQ
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:44   #52
BHPian

Congrats Viji. Now your engine is splash proof One observation, was it possible to extend the pipe inside the bonnet so your rubber hose is not visible outside?

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 24th July 2009, 10:59   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
This link must answer all your doubts.
4x4 Connection - Snorkel FAQ
Thanks, Star_aqua. It does.
Old 24th July 2009, 22:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Congrats Viji. Now your engine is splash proof One observation, was it possible to extend the pipe inside the bonnet so your rubber hose is not visible outside?

Thanks
--Sree--
Hi Sree

Its possible but my tinker already done it, now again i cant ask him to take out and redo the same, next time when i have some time i will do it, who knows what extra ideas we get after one week
Old 24th July 2009, 23:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Hi Headers, Just wanted to knw how to waterproof the Starter Motor, Alternator & Diffrential nipples.

After the snorkel I think these will be the only 2 places that water can damage/stall the vechile in a OTR.

Pls let me knw the other points that needs to be taken care off and suggest the solutions

Redgs

Amit
Hi Tusker,

This is the reply we got from UBS sir,

Actually the breathers which come with spring loaded caps are not an all time protection from underwater fording. They do a temperory protection while crossing streams,etc.. But for longer duration under-water operations, the M38s had tubes connected from all the breather points to the intake manifold pipe, governed by a common flap open valve.. All the best.

Yours….. UBS
Old 25th July 2009, 00:12   #56
BHPian

Here are some pics of my snorkel, made use of a cielo snorkel and pvc pipes.
Attached Thumbnails
Snorkel for my 4x4-08072009002.jpg  

Snorkel for my 4x4-25032009012.jpg  

Snorkel for my 4x4-25032009011.jpg  

Snorkel for my 4x4-22042009001.jpg  

Old 19th May 2010, 10:48   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
9. All our Jeeps have the air intake from inside the engine. Which means the air that is going into the carb is already rarified so the engine will run hotter. One of the things I want to do is connect the aircleaner intake to a large pipe and have it suck in fresh unheated air direct, maybe a snorkel. This should help engine run cooler
Exactly what i was planning to do! Venki has already done something like this, he has made a hole in the firewall and taken the tube out and is running a bolero type air filter in his diesel engine.

What would be the best upgrade for CJ3B filter from the modern gen filters from other jeeps. BD was supposed to give us some pointers but i guess he has forgotten about this with his tight schedules
Old 19th May 2010, 10:53   #58
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What would be the best upgrade for CJ3B filter from the modern gen filters from other jeeps. BD was supposed to give us some pointers but i guess he has forgotten about this with his tight schedules
My Tata 207 has a large filter (like the ones that exists in our Jeeps) with dust indicator and it connects to external air intake. Perhaps BD can tell us if this is appreopriate. Its for a 3 litre engine so should be fine for the hurricane. But we need to confirm this.

If you notice there is a sheet metal plate behind the grill bars and the radiator. That would be the ideal place for the pipe intake to be installed, perhaps angled down so that water doesn't get in

Last edited by DKG : 19th May 2010 at 10:56.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:55   #59
Team-BHP Support

Air flow for diesel's will be more than petrol engines right? So i guess similar or slightly bigger diesel engine filters should work??
Old 19th May 2010, 10:58   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Air flow for diesel's will be more than petrol engines right? So i guess similar or slightly bigger diesel engine filters should work??
BD and Spike should be able to clarify this one Jaggu. I really wouldn't know. I am just assuming if its good enough for a 3 litre engine should be okay for our 2.2

BTW I've never studied the design of snorkels. How does that spout ensure water vapour/ rain doesn't get into the carb?

One more issue which I hope BD or Spike will clarify. If we create a slight ram air effect for the inlet into the carb would that enhance engine power and also help it run cooler because of unheated air?

Last edited by DKG : 19th May 2010 at 11:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks