Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 20:54   #1
BHPian

Snorkel for my 4x4

I have a MM540 which I use for Offroading with our Northern India Offroad Club (NIOC). Have been thinking of getting a snorkel istalled in the Jeep.

There is no snorkel available that can be installed in Mahindra Jeeps. I have been thinkin of installing a snorkel that is installed on Eicher trucks.

Wanted advice will that snorkel work.

Regds

Amit
Old 13th January 2009, 02:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
I have been thinkin of installing a snorkel that is installed on Eicher trucks.
On the newer Eichers it is located in the small space behind the cab and in front of the bed. It is a straight vertical pipe perpendicular to the ground with a T-shaped tip. You will have to measure and check the existing connection points on the part. Just from memory I would say it might be a little long, needing alteration. You might get better, cheaper results fabricating your own snorkel. Dunno. Interesting idea, though.

Search on "snorkel" in this forum. There are some unique answers to this including the use of plastic pcv plumbing pipe. Not my first choice.
Old 13th January 2009, 06:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a MM540 which I use for Offroading with our Northern India Offroad Club (NIOC). Have been thinking of getting a snorkel istalled in the Jeep.

There is no snorkel available that can be installed in Mahindra Jeeps. I have been thinkin of installing a snorkel that is installed on Eicher trucks.

Regds

Amit
Amit
Laxman has a snorkel on his 550 I think Safari and if I am not mistaken Arjun has the same on his Land Cruiser. Do you know where did they get that from and how much did it cost?
Old 13th January 2009, 13:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Regds

Amit
Amit,...laxman has a safari snorkel in his 550,..you could check with him.
Cheers
Old 13th January 2009, 13:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Amit
Laxman has a snorkel on his 550 I think Safari and if I am not mistaken Arjun has the same on his Land Cruiser. Do you know where did they get that from and how much did it cost?
Hi Harjeev,

about 35 k ,..Arush could do this for you.
You could off course also check with Laxman
Cheers
Old 14th January 2009, 00:16   #6
fk7
BHPian

Hi harjeev and all,

i am also thinking of getting a snorkel for my 550. Any ideas on the particular model bought by your friend? Please find out and I will appreciate it. Does it need to be further cutomised or is it just easily installable as is? I think the brand you mentioned is Safari, but they dont make one for MM550.

Any help appreciated

FK
Old 14th January 2009, 03:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

You need is a piece of pipe that you can fasten to the outside of your jeep. You will need to make a hole into your engine compartment to route the pipe or hose. You can connect the pipe to your intake via rubber hose held on with clamps similar to radiator hose clamps. I would double up on the clamps if I were doing it. It is a good place for redundancy. You have to be careful not to restrict or disrupt (cause turbulance) to the intake air flow. This can easily happen if you bend the pipe. It seems to me you should be able to fab the whole business for well under 5000 rupees.

If you do deep fording, water is going to come into the cab thru the doors and the firewall. You will risk long term corrosion of your electricals including your alternator and lights. If you should happen to stall in deep water you may take water up your exhaust pipe and into your motor. Your differentials are vented. You may take water into them and dilute or wash out your gear oil.

My point is that if you are thinking of fording, a snorkel is not the only thing to worry about.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2009, 08:32   #8
BHPian

DirtyDan, Thanks for the details given below, I always wanted to understand about all those impact on machine in deep water.

However, I want to fit a snorkel on my Jeep for a reason that if by mistake I go into water, at least there is not chance of entering the water inside the engine throught the air intake and no major problem.

Here I want to clarify my doubt that if the engine is on ideal run, and the exhaust pipe is inside water what will happen. Will the engine stop and the water will enter into it though the exhaust pipe??
Old 14th January 2009, 09:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post

Here I want to clarify my doubt that if the engine is on ideal run, and the exhaust pipe is inside water what will happen. Will the engine stop and the water will enter into it though the exhaust pipe??

If the water is not flowing but still water and your exhaust a little under water will not cause the engine to stop! in a 540 or any diesel engine!
Old 14th January 2009, 10:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
DK,

If the engine is running and the exhaust is below water, the only chance water can enter is when the engine decelerates as while is engine is maintaining a particular rpm, theres always gases flowing out with pressure, only when you take the foot off the pedal does a small amout of reverse pressure (there is a term for it which i am forgetting) happens and then is when the water can enter.

Moral of the story, never go below the rpm you entered with when the exhaust is under water. I have experianced this a number of times and it worked (though it always wasnt deep beyond the exhaust).

I hope I am correct. Gurus kindly confirm.

Cheers
Vinay Rathore

Do not use font/colour tags. Do not copy paste your reply from other applications.
Old 14th January 2009, 12:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are going to ford through deep water, have a look at this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...r-vehicle.html

and what Danny says is perfectly true. There's a lot more to deep water fording than a snorkel. And a snorkel for 35k?!?! Thats insane.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Regds

Amit
Amit - why dont you check with Shyam/Romi as they have a fabricated snorkel on their white jeep. It was not be best looking snorkel but seemed to be proper job functionally.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 19th January 2009, 11:17   #13
BHPian

Hi Harjeev, Ankit and all

Laxmanjee bought the snorkel from US for about $200.

Romijee has used a pipe and made it into a snorkel. I have not seen Shaymjee new Jeep so cant say.

Infact romijee has chaned the location of Air filter to in t inside of the vechile.

540's Air intake is on the rightside (the Driver side) top.. so it has to be done through the bonnet.

I was thinking about the eicher truck snorkel with a T on top as the two pieces are made as a snorkel and would look decent. Further the 2 pieces only cost around Rs.475/- from the original Eicher workshop. I have 2 eicher 1059 for office use so it is easy to get than fabricating it.

Redgs

Amit
Old 19th January 2009, 11:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Amit
Dear Harjeev/Anikit and All,

Laxmajee's snorkel costed him around $200 from US. The eicher snorkel costs Rs.475/- for 2 pieces. It is actually a 3 piece contraption. I have 2 eichers 1059 for work. Infact I was taking delivery for my 2nd one on friday then I thought of this and enquired the price. They did not have it in stock.

Rs.475/- plus some other costs the whole thing should not cost more than Rs.1500/0 its worth a shot. Lets see how it goes. If it works it Balle Balle !!

About the exaust I agree with Vinay that if your engine is running, water will not go inside the exaust. but a removable contraption for that can be made to protect it. I have had the problem of water entring exhaust at the lake in behrampur. It can be a removabele pipe which is just puton before entering the water.

regds

Amit

Last edited by Tusker4x4 : 19th January 2009 at 11:49. Reason: wordings not clear and additions
Old 20th January 2009, 10:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

here are some different types

Snorkel for my 4x4-sno-1.jpg

Snorkel for my 4x4-sno-2.jpg

Snorkel for my 4x4-sno-3.jpg

Snorkel for my 4x4-sno-5.jpg

Snorkel for my 4x4-sno-6.jpg

Snorkel for my 4x4-sno-7.jpg

Snorkel for my 4x4-sno-8.jpg

Snorkel for my 4x4-sno-4.jpg

Most Viewed