Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 11:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

My take on the Oil Bath type. It is not completely water proof, the bottom half will let water in when deep fording (the coorg, sakleshpur, munzerabad kinda places). My mech too told to go for the paper type in case of Snorkel/WaterProofing.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:39   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
If you plan for a snorkel, then Paper filter is best. Besides, Suresh once told that it will reduce the clatter a lot, i don't how. Don't fit the snorkel but make a cut on the bonnet so you can install it later on. Otherwise you need to do a cut job again which will end up touching the paint one more, if the mech do not have proper cutting tools.

--Sree--
On the contrary, the paper type increases clatter. Both GTO and I have experienced this.

The problem about the CL/CJ340 is that even if you make the cut in the bonnet, you need to extend the snorkel out of the wheel arches if you plan to fold your windscreen.

I procured a Britpart mushroom type snorkel head for 27 pounds from UK but am still figuring a way to solve this issue.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 19th May 2010 at 11:40. Reason: typo
Old 19th May 2010, 12:04   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Isn't oil bath filter better for offroading than paper filter? Besides, I haven't planned for snorkel fitting this time. I don't want to delay painting anymore, the monsoon is too near.
Sharath, Oil bath provides a better protection in water fording. if the below half is submerged in the water, the engine will immediately stall as it cannot suck air or anything from the top. go for a vertical one which you already have in your jeep. A paper element with snorkel will give you better flow but not better protection as oil bath type. anytime you can remove the water or replace oil easily.
we had one such incident when crossing mallalli falls, the water was stored in the filter, but never entered the engine. This was with oil bath type.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:22   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
BTW I've never studied the design of snorkels. How does that spout ensure water vapour/ rain doesn't get into the carb?

One more issue which I hope BD or Spike will clarify. If we create a slight ram air effect for the inlet into the carb would that enhance engine power and also help it run cooler because of unheated air?
What i have seen in stock intakes, generally they will have collection area and drain spots in the circuit to drain water, that gets in through the mouth. Usually at the lowest spot which is furthest from the air filter. This should work for snorkles also. The actual snorkle can be mounted slightly at an angle (mouth down) to reduce the chance of rain water getting inside. And this also acts like Ram air.

Snorkel for my 4x4-pic_snorkel_diag.jpg

Ram air effect through snorkle am not sure since the routing is so long, but yes should definitely better than stock anyday especially while cruising. On OTR's and low speed don't think it will really help with the Ram effect. The cold air intake point would help there.

Pic source: http://www.tjmperth.com.au/products/snorkels/

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2010 at 12:24.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:32   #65
Team-BHP Support

I moved the posts here since both the discussions are on the same topic. Starji your info is really valuable, so its a good thing to retain the oil bath type of filter!

Am getting a wild idea to have one paper type in parallel for summers and oil type for rains and water wading What say? jeep has loads of space inside the hood he he
Old 19th May 2010, 12:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Am getting a wild idea to have one paper type in parallel for summers and oil type for rains and water wading What say? jeep has loads of space inside the hood he he
Lol.. what an idea SirJi.. You better get hold of good plumber in town. in future you would need a mechanic, a electrician and a plumber to live with your jeep.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:00   #67
Team-BHP Support

Why not? all it needs is two filters permanently installed and set of tubes which can be connected on or off, on demand. I know your jeep has similar snorkle on off switch so inspired from you sirji.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:24   #68
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I procured a Britpart mushroom type snorkel head for 27 pounds from UK but am still figuring a way to solve this issue.
Route the pipe out through the side of the cowl so that way it won't get affected either by the bonnet opening or the windshield folding down.

What that means is the pipe will go through the firewall and come out through the tub's side wall close to where your windshield hinges
Old 19th May 2010, 13:40   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Route the pipe out through the side of the cowl so that way it won't get affected either by the bonnet opening or the windshield folding down.

What that means is the pipe will go through the firewall and come out through the tub's side wall close to where your windshield hinges
Thought of it, but will interfere with the mirror while folding.

Any other thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Snorkel for my 4x4-mahindra-classic-008.jpg  

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 19th May 2010 at 13:41. Reason: added info
Old 19th May 2010, 13:48   #70
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
will interfere with the mirror while folding.
Why would it if it clears the windshield folding plane by two to three inches?

Another option is to have it sit atop the fender, a low snorkel, perhaps leveling off at the bonnet height. Should look cool too

Usually the way they have the snorkel so high up even the driver would need a snorkel !!

Last edited by DKG : 19th May 2010 at 13:50.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Snorkel

Hi Tejas & DKG

There a few points I would like to add.

1) Please do not cut the TUB or FENDERS If you cut the bonnet and want to do away with the snorkel, it is easier to replace the Bonnet than do expensive patch work.

2) Make a full snorkel, raise the dome/mushroom to the top of the wind-screen.

3) You can fit the entire air-filter assembly on the RHS Fender and then further increase the height of the inlet.

4) The Dry Paper Element is better even in wet conditions as it is easier to service and environmentally friendly.

5) For the Petrol CJ3B, you can use any of the M&M Paper Filters (2-2.5L Engines). I would suggest the MDI3200TC Plastic Drum type, it is similar in Size and Shape to the Oil Bath CJ3B Filter.

Regards,

Arka
Old 19th May 2010, 14:06   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why would it if it clears the windshield folding plane by two to three inches?
The mirrors of the classic jut out nearly 6 inches from the body!

Quote:
Another option is to have it sit atop the fender, a low snorkel, perhaps leveling off at the bonnet height. Should look cool too
Can't. The attachment to the mushroom head is from below so will need atleast a few inches to connect. This will take it about bonnet level.

Quote:
Usually the way they have the snorkel so high up even the driver would need a snorkel !!
So true. That's why in my pic i have illustrated it at an ideal height.

EDIT:

Arka,

I want an option to fold the windscreen down. That's the issue.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 19th May 2010 at 14:09. Reason: see edit
Old 19th May 2010, 14:18   #73
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Arka I actually am not interested in a snorkel as I won't ford beyond 18 inches ever in any case. I feel its too dangerous to ford a stream at a depth beyond 2 feet and there's a strong chance of the Jeep being washed away. Besides so much gets buggered when you dip a car into water !

What I want to do is install an inlet for the current aircleaner so that the carb doesn't feed off hot radiator exhaust air. What do you think about routing a pipe from the side of the shroud (skin between radiator and grill) and connecting it to the aircleaner?
Old 19th May 2010, 15:23   #74
Team-BHP Support

If its just cold air intake a small cut at the raidator fan shroud is only required and then you can discretely route the intake pipe between the front grill and the radiator.

EDIT: oops i just read the whole post again

Ok so now what does other think about paper vs oil filters? Which will stand better against water? Star and Arka has confused me well lol

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2010 at 15:25.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:41   #75
BHPian

tejas,
recollet kunals snorkel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks