Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 13:24   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I have custom made rubber engine mounts for my car.
Quote:
My only point is that they can be made here and for cheap. Using my swift as an example only.
Oh my bad. I wanted to quote your previous post. I was interested in the custom made rubber engine mounts. My bro in law has a 6 month old Swift D and it rattles.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

For a 6 month old vehicle claim for warranty and get the engine mounts changed. Does not make sense to spend money when you can get it done for free. More over I have not seen nor heard of any Swift D rattles because of the engine mount. Must be something else.

@Siddhartha - If you refer to moulding as something that it is done only using a die, then yes it is not moulding. But even in my scenario you are using a template, albeit a very cheap one to get the shape. This is also moulding. In my method molten PU is poured where as in what you mention it is injected into a die.

Ok now this is going to turn into a 'how do define moulding' thread. Let's stop this discussion here or take it offline.

Last edited by vikram_d : 6th February 2009 at 13:35.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Even for moulding simple round bushes like the ones in the picture you don't need any special tools. Just two PU tubes (readily available) matching the correct diameters (inside & outside) is all you need.

For the steel insert bushes you just need the steel tube (preferably zinc coated) for the inner diameter and a PU tube for the outer diameter.
in the method mentioned by you there is no "moulding" in the real sense of the word. so if it were to be actually moulded( like you pointed out, for mass production or if its not a simple round/circular shape.)then the costs will definitely be high.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:35   #19
BANNED

Quote:
For a 6 month old vehicle claim for warranty and get the engine mounts changed. Does not make sense to spend money when you can get it done for free. More over I have not seen nor heard of any Swift D rattles because of the engine mount. Must be something else.
Oh ok. Will pass on the advice. The original mounts are good enough then? I am used to the Diesel engines in Jeeps making everything else in the vehicle loose. So implied its the engine vibrations on the Swift too.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Oh ok. Will pass on the advice. The original mounts are good enough then? I am used to the Diesel engines in Jeeps making everything else in the vehicle loose. So implied its the engine vibrations on the Swift too.
Yes original mounts are good enough provided they don't have any manufacturing defect in them. Also find out what rattles you brother in law is talking about. They may not be engine mount related.
Old 6th February 2009, 18:11   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the responses, @DD i will check that option. @Arka, My bushes were changed an year back (Ref: The service record in Vijay Auto). Its already started making lot of sound, and i can see cracks on them. Not sure about the quality though. i suppose the Authorized dealer will not use any cheap quality item, But you never know. Do you know how many body mount points are there on a 550?

Thanks
Sree
Old 6th February 2009, 18:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You don't need any special tooling for making a simple PU bush. Just buy the correct diameter PU rod and bore it out on a lathe.
The PU that you talk about is much harder than rubber. It will lead to more vibration and squeaks and rattles in the Jeep.

Replacing the rubber bushings with an OE part should be the way to go for your 550.
Old 6th February 2009, 19:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The PU that you talk about is much harder than rubber. It will lead to more vibration and squeaks and rattles in the Jeep.

This is the reason I chose rubber for my car.
Old 6th February 2009, 23:15   #24
BHPian

IMO, Rubber bushing is best suited for mounting the body as it helps in isolating the vibrations from the chassis/engine.
No point using polyurethane bushes as they will transmit the all the chassis/engine vibrations to the body.
Polyurethane bushes are more suited for used in leaf spring mountings as they last a lot longer although at the expense of increased ride harshness.

Cheers
Old 7th February 2009, 14:23   #25
BHPian

Afaik, PU bushes havent worked in any kind of market as they do not give the flexibility of rubber and also are not made to absorb vibrations as good as rubber. Pu is better used for Abrasion resistance something which rubber is not as good as but then it is much better in anti vibration, something which PU is not *** good.

Rubber Bushes are still the best and they work very well, specially when used in mountings be it engine or subframe.

Mansi
Old 7th February 2009, 15:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I have heard & read only good things about these polyurethene bushing. Too bad that they are not available in India -- at least to my knowledge for the Gypsy.

I would suggest that you go for it and then post a review here :-)
Poly Bushings as well as Body Mounts are available for the gypsy. In fact am using the bushings which are supposed to reduce roll, cant say I feel a difference but it lasts very long. Links below:

Suzuki Samurai 28pc RED Polyurethane Body Mount Kit - Samurai Parts

Olds., Scout II & Suzuki Truck Listings

Cheers

Shyam
Old 9th February 2009, 20:23   #27
BHPian

Ok guys, as everyone suggested i have replaced all bushes with OEM rubber bush. Dive is amazing and there isn't any unwanted noise now. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 10th February 2009, 13:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Thanks for the responses, @DD i will check that option. @Arka, My bushes were changed an year back (Ref: The service record in Vijay Auto). Its already started making lot of sound, and i can see cracks on them. Not sure about the quality though. i suppose the Authorized dealer will not use any cheap quality item, But you never know. Do you know how many body mount points are there on a 550?

Thanks
Sree

16-18 Body Mounts depending on the Model.

The NGCS us 22 Body Mounts.
Old 30th March 2009, 18:25   #29
BHPian

Some data on the DIY PU bushing here

Most Viewed