Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 11:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Willys restored, Hyderabad.

This is one Willys I wanted to share with you all, which was recently restored here in Hyderabad. The shovel, axe, Jerry can and the rest of the stuff still are ready and to be fitted on it, also the spare tyre and soft top.
Thanks!.
Notice the crowbar below the front bumper
Willys restored, Hyderabad.-willys-52-b.jpg
The scissors top frame design is evidently clear here, the winch ready bed in front with cable rollers.
Willys restored, Hyderabad.-willys-52-e.jpg
Rear view
Willys restored, Hyderabad.-willys-52-c.jpg
The specs. brass plate on the glove compartment.
Willys restored, Hyderabad.-willys-52-d.jpg
Bolero steering wheel deviates from originality.
Willys restored, Hyderabad.-willys-52-.jpg
Old 8th February 2009, 15:17   #2
BHPian

Hey Fazal!

Good Jeep there but something's on there that keeps it away from being original. Lights, I think?

Also is it a RHD convert? what engine?

More info if possible.

Cheers!
Old 8th February 2009, 16:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Vinay,
You are right, there are a few things that take it away from the original, oversized lights steering wheel, RHD etc. It has a silent and smooth MM540 under the hood and a 4WD.
For sale 3 lacs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Hey Fazal!

Good Jeep there but something's on there that keeps it away from being original. Lights, I think?

Also is it a RHD convert? what engine?

More info if possible.

Cheers!
Old 8th February 2009, 16:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice paint job!!
I was wondering where on earth you people source those NDMS. I was like hell searching for them.

BTW 540 in a willys, and that too for 3lac. Thats a Shame!!
Old 8th February 2009, 17:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Amazing restoration Fazalaliadil. The paint quality looks great. But yes, the steering wheel looks out of place.
Old 8th February 2009, 19:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent craftsmanship. Thanks so much for sharing it, was a real treat for the eyes.

Could you post a 'before restoration' picture please? Wanted to see how the JEEP looked before and how the awesome transformation came about

As they say, the devil is in the details. Things I noticed
- The pointed stoppers on the front bumper
- The KAISER treatment to the grill
- The horns at the end of the front bumper

Last edited by TheARUN : 8th February 2009 at 19:39. Reason: addition
Old 8th February 2009, 20:06   #7
BHPian

Excellent restoration there! I am guessing its a bit hard to drive with the original steering wheel and hence the thicker Bolero one for grip, but the original one would have completed the look.
Really wonderful.
Old 8th February 2009, 20:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

The windshield is old school craftsmanship. Glass hinged, whole structure hinged and vent flaps below. Looks like they were thinking of India when they designed it. Simple, rugged, economical and maintainable. My next wife is going to be a jeep.
Old 9th February 2009, 03:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
My next wife is going to be a jeep.
lol! well said Dan. i guess thats the reason our first wives (not machine/car) always crib that we spend more time with our jeeps.

Last edited by wads78 : 9th February 2009 at 03:10.
Old 9th February 2009, 09:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The windshield is old school craftsmanship. Glass hinged, whole structure hinged and vent flaps below. Looks like they were thinking of India when they designed it. Simple, rugged, economical and maintainable. My next wife is going to be a jeep.
My first wife is a Jeep.
Old 9th February 2009, 09:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Nice paint job!!
I was wondering where on earth you people source those NDMS. I was like hell searching for them.

BTW 540 in a willys, and that too for 3lac. Thats a Shame!!
SirALec,
As already mentioned, this is a Jeep, I happened to come by where I get my bodyworks done. The NMDS are in thousands here in Hyderabad retail market. Neither is the 3lacs my quote.
Old 9th February 2009, 11:02   #12
BHPian

Nice execution, please convey our compliments to Mr.Sharfuddin. This Jeep looks to me like a Willys CJ3A based 'military jeep' wannabe. I am not sure of the exact model of the donor Jeep because this old chap can do wonders with metal [Seen on other threads posted by Fazal].

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I was wondering where on earth you people source those NDMS. I was like hell searching for them
So, where on earth are you looking for them Sir? I have seen you asking this question on various other threads and I have answered before too. NDMS tyres seem to be available easily everywhere in India in size 6.00 x 16 and with great difficulty in size 7.00 x 15. Popular brands for NDMS in India are MRF (NDMS), Apollo (Hunter), Ceat, Metro etc. Post your requirement (again) on the "4x4 Tyre" thread and someone closest to your location should be able to help you in sourcing them :-)
Old 9th February 2009, 13:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Nice execution, please convey our compliments to Mr.Sharfuddin. This Jeep looks to me like a Willys CJ3A based 'military jeep' wannabe. I am not sure of the exact model of the donor Jeep because this old chap can do wonders with metal [Seen on other threads posted by Fazal].

So, where on earth are you looking for them Sir? I have seen you asking this question on various other threads and I have answered before too. NDMS tyres seem to be available easily everywhere in India in size 6.00 x 16 and with great difficulty in size 7.00 x 15. Popular brands for NDMS in India are MRF (NDMS), Apollo (Hunter), Ceat, Metro etc. Post your requirement (again) on the "4x4 Tyre" thread and someone closest to your location should be able to help you in sourcing them :-)
6.00x16 8 ply was my choice. I searched, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Calcutta, Siliguri, Delhi, Gauhati, Jodhpur, New Jalpaiguri.

Some bhpian tried to help, but same transportation problem.

Yeah! i have no source in south watsoever.

I was told CEAT stopped making them, Birla i managed to find but in 6 ply only. MRF dealer from jodhpur kept me waiting for months.

Last edited by SirAlec : 9th February 2009 at 13:58.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:51   #14
BHPian

This JEEP seems to be a mix and match of various variants of Willys. The Windscreen vents are inspired form CJ3A but the CJ3A had a single piece windshield as opposed to the split one found on this JEEP.

The headlights, dashboard look out of place, so does the obvious wrong sided steering. 4x4 is absent

I am wondering which JEEP was this before modification ??? if possible, please try to fetch and share some pics before the mod jobs.
Old 9th February 2009, 16:18   #15
BANNED

Congrats on the restoration.

Like all guys out here saying its a mix and match, i too agree, but there's lot more that can be seen.

This jeep is ready and finished wonderfully, nice paint, neat fittings and above all its in roadworthy condition.

Enjoy the jeep

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks