Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 19:31   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you see starter in the annual OTR, that was his first time off road, but he and his vehicle came out with almost no damage.
He he, thank you, thank you!
Bend in the bumper, i shud've listened to you. Shan must be laughing ear to ear reading this. Leaving that, some thousand scratches which din't disappear even after 3M treatment. But, absolutely no regrets!
Quote:
Its close to impossible to find a good vehicle, trust me i tried for 1 month and.... well thats a story which i will update soon.
What is it? Should be either a classic or a Gypsy.

Quote:
Monsoon time 2) Crawlers + Lockers 75k?

1.5 year to 2 years later 3) Chop off that darn rear overhang 15k?
Yup, spot on. Crawlers shall be there in a couple of months.
Lockers, haven't felt the need for it yet. Rear overhang chop, definitely, but the bloody thought of putting him through this makes me cringe.
An AC could also probably to be added to the list.

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 12th March 2010 at 19:32.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:36   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Now the above Quote is confusing for me, what exactly do you want the vehicle for?

a) Daily use + Offroad trips + Bullet proof reliability for next few years atleast?

OR

b) Extreme trails + occasional use + occasional visit to workshops?
Jaggu, sorry to confuse you. The term reliability is obviously "relative". I have never said "bullet proof" reliability anywhere. I am not looking for a "fill it-shut it-forget it" kind of vehicle - I want to get my hands dirty and mold it and build it. I will take care of the issues and make it good.. then I want it to stay good.

What I said is I want to have enough confidence (read realiability) to be able to drive around (highway, OTR, you name it) without the fear of break downs - far from bullet proof reliability me thinks. And, not having to worry about damaging hard to find parts and having the vehicle spend more time in the garage than on the road!

I am choosing option c) At least 3 times a week + semi-extreme off-road trails + decent reliability + visit to workshop for maintenance not breakdowns (mods don't count)

Mods of interest SPOA + Crawlers + Lockers + Chop of overhang (I still need to read up on all these )

Sorry, no disrespect, but loans in my opinion should only be used for assets - not liabilities (basic transportation ok, certainly not for big boy toys). Whole another discussion that we dont want to get into here.

Well, there you go.. I am kinda leaning towards a used Gypsy or 550. This exchange is definitely helping me think through this. Thanks guys!
Old 14th March 2010, 19:33   #168
Team-BHP Support

Ok then its used Gypsy if you want to keep it simple
Old 15th March 2010, 10:45   #169
Senior - BHPian

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
I am kinda leaning towards a used Gypsy or 550. This exchange is definitely helping me think through this. Thanks guys!
Hi Ganesh,

It has to be a MM550XD, after a Petrol CJ3B.

but make sure you get it registered before you buy the vehicle.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Gypsy's cannot me modified (mechanically like M&M JEEPs). Besides on OTRs the JEEPs are
Old 18th March 2010, 15:49   #170
BHPian

did not mean to start an out and out Gypsy Vs. Jeep war!

Nevertheless, it is interesting and hope many learn from the discussion going on about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...mon-myths.html

Don't blame me, it was bound to happen sooner or later!

Third Umpire: Decision Pending

Last edited by gbanavar : 18th March 2010 at 15:55.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:20   #171
BHPian

Re: 1968 CJ3B - upgrade project - NEED HEAD

Hi Folks,

I have been out of action for a while since my last OTR/Camping trip at Avalakonda. That is when I had a problem with my engine loosing compression.

The problem ended being a blown head gasket, which I got replaced, but that did not quite solve the problem! I continued to have problems and now my F-Head has been sitting idle for a couple of months. The diagnosis is that it needs a new head. There is a crack in the head casting that is letting water seep into the engine.

Does anyone know someone that has a Hurricane engine lying around?
Old 28th December 2010, 17:08   #172
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1968 CJ3B - upgrade project

I think that you could scout the scrap markets and I am sure that you would be in luck. Alternatively let me know, I will be visiting Mayapuri in a couple of days and inquire overthere
Old 28th December 2010, 17:35   #173
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1968 CJ3B - upgrade project - NEED HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Hi Folks,

I have been out of action for a while since my last OTR/Camping trip at Avalakonda. That is when I had a problem with my engine loosing compression.

The problem ended being a blown head gasket, which I got replaced, but that did not quite solve the problem! I continued to have problems and now my F-Head has been sitting idle for a couple of months. The diagnosis is that it needs a new head. There is a crack in the head casting that is letting water seep into the engine.

Does anyone know someone that has a Hurricane engine lying around?
Hi Ganesh,

You need a Miracle!!!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...-agencies.html

Contact Santanam and give him my reference.

Regards,

Arka
Old 28th December 2010, 20:21   #174
Team-BHP Support

Also check with Raju the mech, he was mentioning he saw a hurricane engine in gujri.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:56   #175
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions, Harjeev, Arka and Jaggu!!

I contacted Raju, and he confirmed that he can get a new Head for my "F-Head".

So, now my Jeep is in his garage and he is working on it diligently. Will let you know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I think that you could scout the scrap markets and I am sure that you would be in luck. Alternatively let me know, I will be visiting Mayapuri in a couple of days and inquire overthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Ganesh,

You need a Miracle!!!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...-agencies.html

Contact Santanam and give him my reference.

Regards,

Arka
Quote:
Also check with Raju the mech, he was mentioning he saw a hurricane engine in gujri.
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:26   #176
Senior - BHPian

New..!! Or from another scrapped vehicle? How much just for the head?
Old 9th January 2011, 12:08   #177
Senior - BHPian

^^^ New, I think is not possible and not worthwhile. I think that he meant from an old engine.
Considering engines used to go around for 7-9k in Mayapuri head should not be that expensive. But again I'd say that its a sellers market now with these things becoming rarer by the day.
Sometimes I think that I should but a complete engine + GB + transfercase and keep it with myself as a spare. No idea when I would be needing it, with working 2 hurricane's in my garrage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks