Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:00   #31
BHPian

Yes, Jeep from Coorg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3b View Post
if this has been picked from Coorg,
Hi Vinay,
, this is the same one you probably saw in Coorg. Your last name is the first name of the previous owner - Thomas D'Souza.

Quote:
want to know from where did you manage the parts for the engine
My mechanic has good contacts since he has been working on government Jeeps for a long time. There is a guy who runs a machine shop and he was able to get all the parts and was able to do the seating and turning of the crank, bearings, cyclinder, valve seating etc. Let me know if you need something specific and I can try to arrange.

Quote:
I hope you have managed the original exhaust pipe, that the main part which will give you the real note of an hurricane engine
Actually there is a modified free flow exhaust on this Jeep and I am planning on replacing the air filter with a K&N. I think I will also have to tune up the carb with larger jets. I am really hoping that this will give me a smooth ride as well as deep base !!
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:21   #32
BHPian

Dear Ganesh,

Good to hear, well he had couple of jeeps with him,

I was looking for Lucas delco, & complete set spark plug wires, & where is the work shop,

So that i can visit the garage to see your jeep,

well stick to the orginal fitting it will work better,

regards
Vinay thomas
-----------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Hi Vinay,
, this is the same one you probably saw in Coorg. Your last name is the first name of the previous owner - Thomas D'Souza.

My mechanic has good contacts since he has been working on government Jeeps for a long time. There is a guy who runs a machine shop and he was able to get all the parts and was able to do the seating and turning of the crank, bearings, cyclinder, valve seating etc. Let me know if you need something specific and I can try to arrange.

Actually there is a modified free flow exhaust on this Jeep and I am planning on replacing the air filter with a K&N. I think I will also have to tune up the carb with larger jets. I am really hoping that this will give me a smooth ride as well as deep base !!
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:29   #33
BHPian

Free flow exhaust, K&N filter and and larger jets.What are the mileage predictions??.Will be fantastic drive when completed.

Actually there is a modified free flow exhaust on this Jeep and I am planning on replacing the air filter with a K&N. I think I will also have to tune up the carb with larger jets. I am really hoping that this will give me a smooth ride as well as deep base !![/quote]
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:14   #34
BHPian

It will be something else!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Free flow exhaust, K&N filter and and larger jets.What are the mileage predictions??.Will be fantastic drive when completed.
If it is anything like my Bullet Machismo 500 with free flow exhausts, 120 jet and K&N filter setup, it will be one rocking Jeep!

Not to sound rude.. but I never check mileage on any of my vehicles !
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:43   #35
BHPian

Garage in Basaveshwara Nagar

Quote:
I was looking for Lucas delco, & complete set spark plug wires, & where is the work shop,

So that i can visit the garage to see your jeep,
Vinay,
The garage as well as I am in Basaveshwara Nagar.. you are welcome to visit anytime. The parts you have listed are not exactly engine parts but I will check with the electrician. I have spent a lot of time myself and also my driver to look for mechanical and electrical components, but it never hurts to try.
Old 25th February 2009, 08:23   #36
BHPian

The new Oil Pump did it

Guys,
Changed the oil pump and viola! the pressure is right where it should be. We are going to let the engine run for about a couple of hours today and make sure the engine re-build is good!

The plan now is to start assembling the mechanical parts and put the body back on the chassis. The major things remaining now are the Body painting and electrical work!
Old 25th February 2009, 09:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ganesh,
I might too get my jeep by the end of this week. VERY EXCITED

I am been told that I should not take the jeep off-roading for atleast 1000 kms. Now if I let the engine run for lets say 4-6 hrs each day for 3-4 days, how does that translate into number of KMS's.
I am asking as there is a big OTR coming up next week in Delhi and I want to take my jeep there, but if the run in is not complete I do not want to screw up the engine for just one OTR.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:15   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Now if I let the engine run for lets say 4-6 hrs each day for 3-4 days, how does that translate into number of KMS's.
One of the worst run in job you can do to a newly built engine, take weekend off and drive around much better for your money spend
Old 25th February 2009, 11:11   #39
BHPian

Engine Run-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Ganesh,
I might too get my jeep by the end of this week. VERY EXCITED

I am been told that I should not take the jeep off-roading for atleast 1000 kms. Now if I let the engine run for lets say 4-6 hrs each day for 3-4 days, how does that translate into number of KMS's.
I am asking as there is a big OTR coming up next week in Delhi and I want to take my jeep there, but if the run in is not complete I do not want to screw up the engine for just one OTR.
Harjeev,
I understand your excitement and I can't wait to get mine on the road either and test it out.

I am not an expert in this, but what I do know is that you have to break in your engine methodically, and in steps of different RPMs. The first 500 Kms you should not rev it beyond 2,000 RPM, the next 500 Kms do not rev it beyond 3000 RPM and so on. After about 2,000 to 3,000 Kms you can be sure that there will be no damage to your engine at different RPMs.

Secondly, when an engine is re-built, there will be metal pieces in the engine due to rubbing of various parts that could further damage the engine. So, I plan on doing a complete oil change with new filter at 500 Kms and again at about 1,000 to 1,500 Kms. This is kinda similar to running in a new car where you have to be patient for about 3,000 Kms.

OTR will require you to increase your RPMs to go up hill or out of a ditch etc that may cause severe damage to your engine. Hold your horses my friend and it will help you in the long run. No one's stopping you from taking a nice and easy drive through the country side though. Be sure to give the engine a break for about 15 minutes every now and then.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Jeep in action! Good luck.
Old 25th February 2009, 22:53   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
One of the worst run in job you can do to a newly built engine, take weekend off and drive around much better for your money spend
totally.

Dont pay heed to your mechanic when he says" Saar, i've done 1000 engines like this" Idling a older water cooled engine over half an hour itself is killing few of its horses before it could fly. where is the fresh air supply to cool the water/coolant?, your jeep engine does not have a electric fan and a thermostatic switch to run when engine is hot. "DONT DO IT"

Let your engine rest for a while, complete your restoration first.
Old 26th February 2009, 01:44   #41
BHPian

You sure about this. Older mechanics always recommend running a freshly built engine without any load. Especially if it is a rebore job. Earlier when CNC machines were not available and engines were bored on lathes than the final honing was done by running the engine itself without any load. And I am not talking about half an hour but upto 6-8 hours!! Than after ~500 km a fresh set of rings were put.
In a water cooled engine it should not be a problem at all if cooling system is upto mark. I have seen this being done for air cooled bikes as well. Industrial spec fan were used to cool the engines.
In both cases engine performed pretty well. This method was used by the best mechanics in meerut who were famous all over western UP. People used to come from other cities to get their engines done.
Though when using a company assembled block kit or standard sleeve/piston set or a CNC bore job, this method would be unnecessary.
Simply drive with ever warying rpm and small bursts of accelration atleast once in every drive.

cheers
vishwas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
totally.

Dont pay heed to your mechanic when he says" Saar, i've done 1000 engines like this" Idling a older water cooled engine over half an hour itself is killing few of its horses before it could fly. where is the fresh air supply to cool the water/coolant?, your jeep engine does not have a electric fan and a thermostatic switch to run when engine is hot. "DONT DO IT"

Let your engine rest for a while, complete your restoration first.
Old 26th February 2009, 09:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Dear Pals,
My 2 cents for this topic about running-in a new engine. I had come across this article from Mr. Nandan about how to properly run-in a new bullet. You could just have a look. Link
Hope, this helps.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 26th February 2009, 09:16   #43
BHPian

Engine Re-Build Procedure

After talking to Pavan, I looked up the process for running in a rebuilt engine and got many hits on the web. Some of them are contradictary and discuss opposing points of view. One thing for sure, I did not find a single article that talks about running in an engine with
1. no load
2. idle at same rpm
3. run it at a stretch for 6 to 8 hours or longer

It seems like this is a practice followed only in India! You can check out these two websites with different views on how to run in an engine (The second one was posted on Team-BHP before).

How to "Break-In" Your Newly Rebuilt Engine

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Man, nothing is simple and straight forward
Old 26th February 2009, 09:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

thats a good one. he starts in a very different way i must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
After talking to Pavan, I looked up the process for running in a rebuilt engine and got many hits on the web. Some of them are contradictary and discuss opposing points of view. One thing for sure, I did not find a single article that talks about running in an engine with
1. no load
2. idle at same rpm
3. run it at a stretch for 6 to 8 hours or longer

It seems like this is a practice followed only in India! You can check out these two websites with different views on how to run in an engine (The second one was posted on Team-BHP before).

How to "Break-In" Your Newly Rebuilt Engine

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Man, nothing is simple and straight forward
Old 27th February 2009, 13:15   #45
BHPian

Did not let it idle run for 24 hours

Hey, I decided not to let the engine run in at one spot for 24 hours like my mechanic wanted to do!! Thanks to Pavan!

While playing around with the engine had to replace the starter and local dynamo with a Lucas one. Looks like the water pump seal is leaking and will be replacing that also.

They have started on the rest of the tinkering, painting and assembly work. The tub is now back on the chassis. Electrical work is still pending. I am changing to bucket seats and need to get the base made up. A lot of work is still pending!!

Obviously, my previous aggressive timing is down the drain! it's been 4 weeks since the work began and it will be a miracle if I can pull it off in 2 more weeks.

Here is a peek at my Bling grill.. it is finally beginning to take shape!
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010049.jpg  

Most Viewed