Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 15:43   #91
Senior - BHPian

F4-134 rebuild

Hi Ganesh,

After rebuilding the F4134 check the following

1) Oil Pump
2) Oil Pressure
3) If the engine head is receiving engine oil.

Running In.

After rebuild fill oil to capacity and start the engine and build up rpm to 1500-1800 rpm (idle is 650 for Solex M34PBIC).

When the radiator warms up to 60degrees, hold the engine rpm and let it run for 15mins.

Idle-Cooling run-in which mechanics suggest does not create enough oil pressure to circulate the oil, resulting in the bore getting scratched.

For the first 1000kms accelerate gradually and keep fluctuating the engine RPM with out stressing the engine (Low speed Hi gear).

wrt to electric pump do not connect it directly to carburettor.

Tank - Electric Fuel Pump-Mechanical Fuel Pump - Carburettor.

This setup prevents the carb from flooding with fuel and resultant mixture running rich.

For the Solex I would suggest 127.5 or 140 Main Jet. This came OEM.

A personal suggestion keep the idling around 700-900rpm.

Regards,

Arka

PS - get in touch with JAMMY (MM440) the CJ3B & F4-134 expert.

Last edited by ex670c : 20th May 2009 at 15:45. Reason: addl. info
Old 25th May 2009, 07:59   #92
BHPian

Engine Tune-up

Sorry Guys,
I was out of town for a few days and will catch up with the progress on my Jeep today. Before I left on vacation, we tore down the gear box and bought new gears, synchronizer rings, seals etc since there was a lot of wear. It was all put back late last week, but don't know how it all worked out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicked wheels View Post
Hi gbanavar Try using the 140 size jet, when we brought the jeep it was fitted with the fiat jet we changed it to 140 and ther was a vast difference in perfomance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Hi Ganesh,
Has the issue been sorted out yet? Like we discussed over phone recently, your spark plugs are showing signs of running a rich mixture. You will also be able to make this out from the smell of the exhaust gases. I think you should use the 125/140 Jet and get your mechanic to adjust the air screw to increase the air flow. I am not sure if this is the only problem though. Could be your ignition coil, timing etc.

Yes, there is a huge difference in performance between the 140 and the 125. I would suggest you use 140 at least for your run-in period. After your run-in, you can go in for 125 jet as it is a reasonable combination of both economy and performance. I am using 140 on my 3B and it literally leaps forward when you tap the throttle.

Whicked Wheels & Santhosh,
I switched back to the 125 Jet last week before we started work on the gear box and there was a marked difference. The stalling was gone, however, did not get a chance to test it a lot. I will try to find 140 Jet today and test it with both 125 & 140. In fact, I was trying to buy 140 jet last time I went to JC Road, but could not find one.

Arka,
My response in bold-italic below. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Ganesh,

After rebuilding the F4134 check the following

1) Oil Pump
2) Oil Pressure
3) If the engine head is receiving engine oil.

Arka, did this after the re-build and had to replace the oil pump since there was not much oil pressure. After replacing, the pressure is perfect.

Running In.

After rebuild fill oil to capacity and start the engine and build up rpm to 1500-1800 rpm (idle is 650 for Solex M34PBIC).

Is there a way to estimate the RPM since there is no rpm meter on my 3B? Can a rpm meter be fitted and if so, how?

When the radiator warms up to 60degrees, hold the engine rpm and let it run for 15mins.

Idle-Cooling run-in which mechanics suggest does not create enough oil pressure to circulate the oil, resulting in the bore getting scratched.

For the first 1000kms accelerate gradually and keep fluctuating the engine RPM with out stressing the engine (Low speed Hi gear).

wrt to electric pump do not connect it directly to carburettor.

Tank - Electric Fuel Pump-Mechanical Fuel Pump - Carburettor.

This setup prevents the carb from flooding with fuel and resultant mixture running rich.

I have the correct setup as mentioned above. I have installed the electric fuel pump on the chassis, below the fuel tank, with a filter before it.

For the Solex I would suggest 127.5 or 140 Main Jet. This came OEM.

A personal suggestion keep the idling around 700-900rpm.

Regards,

Arka

PS - get in touch with JAMMY (MM440) the CJ3B & F4-134 expert.

Will do.. thanks for your inputs.

Last edited by gbanavar : 25th May 2009 at 08:01.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:07   #93
Team-BHP Support

Get a tuning meter which was used for previous gen maruti's and all, you can get the rpm as well as other settings like dwell readings from the same.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:29   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Is there a way to estimate the RPM since there is no rpm meter on my 3B? Can a rpm meter be fitted and if so, how?
You can fit any 4-cylinder RPM Meter. It connects to your ignition coil. I have a pricol 4-cylinder unit(not available anymore) which I intend to install temporarily on my 3B to understand the Hurricane's characteristics better.

Quote:
I have the correct setup as mentioned above. I have installed the electric fuel pump on the chassis, below the fuel tank, with a filter before it..
Quote:
I was trying to buy 140 jet last time I went to JC Road, but could not find one.
I have messaged you the address of the shop where it is available. You may have to buy the entire carb rebuild kit though. It is NOS and well worth it
Old 28th May 2009, 18:29   #95
BHPian

O.K. here goes..

After 4 months and still a bit left to complete, my fast track project has reached this point!

I have switched to the 135 jet, but the engine still needs to be fine tuned. It is running rich since the air screw in the carburettor does not seem to be working well. As a result, after running it a little, the spark plug is getting carbon fouled. I will have to take Santhosh's recommendation and get the carb rebuild kit.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010606_1.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010605_2.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010608_3.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010609_4.jpg  

Old 28th May 2009, 19:01   #96
Senior - BHPian

Nice, all it needs now are some beefy AT tires and chrome alloys.
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:41   #97
BHPian

Hi Ganesh, whats the latest? Has your gearbox issue resolved? How about the carb rebuild(changing of diaphragms, gaskets etc)?
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:06   #98
BHPian

Hmm... The jeep looks neat. But IMO get a set of huge mags ASAP.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:20   #99
BHPian

It's working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Hmm... The jeep looks neat. But IMO get a set of huge mags ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Nice, all it needs now are some beefy AT tires and chrome alloys.
Abbas/badboyscad,
I have ordered mag wheels and ETA is around the 20th of this month. I will look at tyre options after I get my alloys.

Quote:
Hi Ganesh, whats the latest? Has your gearbox issue resolved? How about the carb rebuild(changing of diaphragms, gaskets etc)?
Gear box was rebuilt and assembled last week, after that's when I ran into the carb issue. I got a carb rebuilt kit from Jadson's as you suggested, but unfortunately, it did not make a difference to the carb I had on my Jeep.

We tried to order a new one to no avail. Then I went to the gujari and tried three different ambassador carbs, and finally the last one is working well today . I took the jeep for a spin and did about 10 kms and it is doing good. I am using a 140 jet. So, finally, I have on my hands a working Jeep!!

Jammy is going to be getting me a new 34mm Jeep carb which should improve it further.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:48   #100
BHPian

Quote:
So, finally, I have on my hands a working Jeep!!
Well Deserved Mate. Nice to hear that.

Quote:
I have ordered mag wheels and ETA is around the 20th of this month. I will look at tyre options after I get my alloys.
What alloy wheels have you ordered? Details on Brand, Pattern, Size etc please...Thanks
Old 4th June 2009, 10:26   #101
BHPian

Prestige Design

Quote:
Well Deserved Mate. Nice to hear that.

What alloy wheels have you ordered? Details on Brand, Pattern, Size etc please...Thanks
Hi Santhosh, Thank you.. now, I am ready to go on drives with you, but obviously not ready for OTR's yet.

I have ordered the 16" 139 PCD Prestige Design, pattern as shown in the picture below. The guy has promised me that he can get me the 16" ones, but, I will be skeptical until I have them in my hands.

BTW, I have the UCAL fuel pump for you and Harjeev. I was able to get only two.. so, I will check with Harjeev if he still needs it.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-306.jpg  

Old 4th June 2009, 11:36   #102
Team-BHP Support

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee, the jeep has come out really well! Good job sir!
Old 4th June 2009, 14:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I have ordered the 16" 139 PCD Prestige Design, pattern as shown in the picture below. The guy has promised me that he can get me the 16" ones, but, I will be skeptical until I have them in my hands
16" alloy rims in 139 PCD are rare. They are easily available for the Scorpio\Safari PCD (can't remember the PCD).

The Prestige rim looks good and will suit your Jeep color combo. Nice choice. Also, I like the fact that the cap is held in place using several allen bolts. So they don't fall off or get stolen.

IMO, you should go in for 15" rims(same pattern) with high profile tyres if it is not too late. That will give your Jeep a nice look. 16 inchers look best on Jeeps bigger than the CJ3B and you may also need to re-camber the leaf springs to accomodate 16 inchers with high profile tyres. Make up your mind about the tyre size now itself as it is important to get a rim that is wide enough to accomodate your tyres or vice versa.

Quote:
BTW, I have the UCAL fuel pump for you and Harjeev. I was able to get only two.. so, I will check with Harjeev if he still needs it.
Great News buddy... Thanks. I shall collect it from you today\tomorrow.
Old 4th June 2009, 17:23   #104
BHPian

Tyres for the 3B

Quote:
They are easily available for the Scorpio\Safari PCD (can't remember the PCD).
Santhosh, 160 PCD are the ones you have in mind, and I know that they are easy to find, but that won't do us any good.

Quote:
IMO, you should go in for 15" rims(same pattern) with high profile tyres if it is not too late. That will give your Jeep a nice look. 16 inchers look best on Jeeps bigger than the CJ3B and you may also need to re-camber the leaf springs to accommodate 16 inchers with high profile tyres. Make up your mind about the tyre size now itself as it is important to get a rim that is wide enough to accommodate your tyres or vice versa.
Santhosh, I don't intend to go beyond an overall dia of 31" and will stick with 235s. Whether you have 15" or 16" alloys, my understanding is as long as the overall dia does not increase, there is no need to make the changes you have brought up. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
Great News buddy... Thanks. I shall collect it from you today\tomorrow.
Yeah, no sweat, just stop by any time.
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:17   #105
BHPian

The many faces of the F-Head, and no, I am not talking about me!!

I'll let the pictures do the talking..
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010661.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010662.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010663.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010664.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010667.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010668.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010670.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010672.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010673.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010676.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010678.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010679.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-p1010659.jpg  

Last edited by gbanavar : 3rd July 2009 at 14:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks