Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 20:01   #46
BHPian

OOOOHHH... that grill is THE in thing. Uber cool. Do I see some bling head in the background as well??

cheers
vishwas
Old 28th February 2009, 00:47   #47
Team-BHP Support

The static run in was recommended in old days since the engines were set tight (read as real tight) and as you pointed out correct, final finish was done by idling (instead of lathes and clearance setting), this though avoids chances of seizure will screw up the bore clearance and longevity of piston and rings.

Now a days with better lathes and tolerance level, engines can be set up well and can safely be run in by driving the car, varying the load and rpm, which will give you a healthier engine for the long run.

Warm up the engine and drive around without any undue stress and always keep an eye on fluid temperatures, you will be fine. Initially run for shorter durations with frequent in between brakes, then progress to longer running. Once you complete 1000-1500 kms change the oils. Keep your fueling rich during run in period and ideally do the run in while sun is not at the peak, early morns and late evenings are always good.
Old 1st March 2009, 12:05   #48
BHPian

Bling thing!

Vishwas,
Thank you! The rocker cover and the air filter inlet has been chromed up! The header pipe and the exhaust has been painted silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
OOOOHHH... that grill is THE in thing. Uber cool. Do I see some bling head in the background as well??

cheers
vishwas
Old 1st March 2009, 21:51   #49
BHPian

Now how about a plexi glass hood to show off this head??
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:50   #50
BHPian

What's inside is just as (more?) important as outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Now how about a plexi glass hood to show off this head??
Not a shabby idea! I figured, the first thing a REAL jeeper does is flip open the bonnet to look at the engine. I though I might as well add a little bit of zing to that racing heart. Secondly, I hope to keep the engine compartment clean and tidy - I do have a pressure washer and a blow dryer to work with. We shall see..
Old 6th March 2009, 09:43   #51
BHPian

Suggestion on Windshield Wiper(s)

Jeep Gurus, please give some advice on options in installing windshield wipers on my Jeep. Is it better to install it on the windshield (top or bottom) or on the cowl? Where can I get the wiper motor and the wiper blade assembly? Please advice.

General status is that tinkering work is going on with preparation to paint. Nothing much else to report!
Old 6th March 2009, 11:14   #52
BHPian

diesel for the cJ340.

Sorry guys for barging in like this. Almost finalised a deal for a CJ340 yesterday, but the earlier owner has plonked a nissan diesel into the engine bay whose head gasket it seems is all damaged. He's also converted to a 4 speed gearbox and the vehicle has a rear wheel drive. What options in terms of engine choices do i have - a peuguot 2112, a similar nissan or what. In fact the guy was swearing that he used to get 20kmpl with the nissan motor. I'm looking for a stable performer with not too much of noise and reasonable torque and a cruising speed of 80-85 kmph on the highway. plan to convert it to a 4WD also. Will a hurricane F-engine with a 3 speed gear box meet my requirements. Would it be possible to use this engine in the existing bay without major modifications? What all options do i have...?
regards
atul singh
faridabad
Old 6th March 2009, 11:54   #53
BHPian

Ganesh, I would recommend you stick to the original configuration as it is both simple and functional. Another reason is that you would require some fabrication if you want to install on the cowl (I would not do it).

Regarding the wiper motor, I have not tried sourcing these for my Jeep as the motor on my Jeep works fine. FYI, for my model 3B, only LHS has motor. RHS is a hand operated wiper by co-passenger and I intend to leave it that way . So don't know where they are available. I shall add this to my "list of spares to look for" when I go spares hunting tomorrow. Worst case, you can go for the ones that are used in Auto-rickshaws. I checked them out recently, their motor speeds are similar. Infact they operate a much longer/heavier wiperblade, so these should suffice.

Edit: Good, even Vijay is suggesting Auto rickshaw's motor. I felt weird about the idea, but now I have company....LOL

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 6th March 2009 at 12:04.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:56   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Jeep Gurus, please give some advice on options in installing windshield wipers on my Jeep. Is it better to install it on the windshield (top or bottom) or on the cowl? Where can I get the wiper motor and the wiper blade assembly? Please advice.

General status is that tinkering work is going on with preparation to paint. Nothing much else to report!
you can try fixing a autorickshaw's wiper motor and also the blade, but needs to reduce the length of the blade holder. and the swing is bit less with auto's wiper motor.
fixing it on top would give flexiblity to put your windshield down, but visibilty during rain may not be as good as bottom installation. and also the wiring will be visible inside.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Desertfox,
Your Jeep looks great! I sure don't have the patience to wait for 8 months! My Jeep as I bought it, was in better condition than most.. and I could have had it on the road even if I had rebuilt the engine and taken care of mechanical and electrical issues. Painting by far, takes the longest amount of time and it is not something you want to get done hurriedly.

Please let us know what work you got done on it.. general and performance wise.
During the phase of restoration, I was not here but in Dubai. It is my cousin Danish and his dad who got it done for me in Allahabad. They had restored a CJ3B earlier which is also in mint condition.

When I took this Jeep off road for the first time in March 2008, it performed excellent. People were amazed at the power of its restored hurricane engine. And these were people who off raod every single day off road during their farming and sand mining operations along the banks of the Sone river.

The work done was.

Full suspension overhaul,
Complete engine overhaul on a barely used Huuricane engine obtained from a mission hospital. ( They had converted to diesel and this was lying unused for many years ). There was no need to rebore it, only the piston rings were changed.
Full painting.
Restoration and overhaul of the 4x4 drivetrain, obtained from the same mission hospital along with the 3 speed gearbox.
Overhaul and complete wiring change of all electricals.
New tyres were ordered from MRF Madras ( 5 x NDLS 6.00x16 )
A new canvas top was fabricated.

Will post pics of it ( new ones ) with the canvas top.
Old 6th March 2009, 21:01   #56
BHPian

Engine Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
Will a hurricane F-engine with a 3 speed gear box meet my requirements. Would it be possible to use this engine in the existing bay without major modifications? What all options do i have...?
regards
atul singh
faridabad
Atul, I wish I could help you with this, but I hope you realize that the Hurricane is a petrol engine and you have a diesel Jeep. Most people go from Petrol to Diesel, not the other way round.

I am sure there are other options with a diesel engine, but I have not done any research on that. Others that are more knowledgeable will help you. Why don't you start a new thread for this topic? Good luck!
Old 9th March 2009, 15:33   #57
BHPian

Thanks a pile Ganesh. Meanwhile i have been getting some extraordinary help from Harjeev in trying to locate a 3B for me. Hopefully i should be able to find one soon.

Regards,
Atul Singh

Quote:
Atul, I wish I could help you with this, but I hope you realize that the Hurricane is a petrol engine and you have a diesel Jeep. Most people go from Petrol to Diesel, not the other way round.

I am sure there are other options with a diesel engine, but I have not done any research on that. Others that are more knowledgeable will help you. Why don't you start a new thread for this topic? Good luck!
Old 15th March 2009, 22:31   #58
BANNED

Ganesh,

Hi Buddy , its been real long time since any updates from you.

Could we have some pics on the present progress on the Jeep.
Old 16th March 2009, 09:40   #59
BHPian

Seats & Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Ganesh,

Hi Buddy , its been real long time since any updates from you.

Could we have some pics on the present progress on the Jeep.
Hi Pavan,
Having ongoing problems with tinkering work. So, I decided to get bases made for the bucket seats as well as a few cut & weld items taken care of. Got the steering hub and a new steerting wheel installed. We put the mechanicals together and took a short drive to a nearby machine shop, who speacializes in roll bars and has an arc welder.

It is somewhat of a milestone that we took the Jeep out of the garage in which it has been sitting for almost two months and give it a little bit of fresh air! Had a visit from our friend Santosh, who somehow manages to make time for his Jeep Buddies and provides his support!!

Here are the things we are working on:
1. New battery tray
2. Hood lock (manual with lock)
3. New cut out for a 5 meter board
4. Needed a hole at the bottom of the fuel tank
5. Fuel tank strap
6. Two re-welds on the chassis that looked kinda weak
7. Rear seat setup (got one from a Qualis that fits exactly)
8. Roll bar

I am attaching some pictures, but the quality is not so great since I took them with my mobile phone.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-image0122.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-image0134.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-image0133.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-image0132.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-image0136.jpg  

Old 28th March 2009, 08:44   #60
BHPian

Maybe not for Jeep Purists..

Tinkering work is pretty much done, finally! Here are the pictures showing the bonnet lock, battery stand, fuel tank strap and my new dash. I got a marine audio system with waterproof speakers. I am still trying to figure out how to keep it secure, but my tinker and I have some ideas.

The bucket seat bases are done as well and the rear seat setup. The bucket seat upholstry is almost done. The body tapping work is still going and after that the body filler work.

Pavan has been advising me with his vast experience in painting. I can't say that I have been following to the tee.. but, luckily, he is very persistent. Thank you.

BTW, I have also ordered a Roll Bar. I need to get seat belts for the front and lap belts for the rear seats.

I am even entertaining thoughts of new tyres and rims??
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-1.p3190011.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-2.p3190012.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-3.p3240038.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-4.p3240039.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-5.p3150002.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-6.p3190008.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-7.p3230034.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-8.p3230027.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-9.p3240041.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com