Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 19:24   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why only 50%?
For 50% of their online Alibaba cost of 'FOB Mumbai 2000 USD' you'd rather contact them directly.

Vijay sir, are Front CFLs out for the 540/550?
Old 28th September 2009, 21:38   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, it seems that we have an issue with the front CFL's on the Gypsy. (i think it is there in swastikviji's Gypsy also).

The issue is with the length of the leaf and it is some 3/4th of an inch longer. This means that the shackle is fully extended and very very less room for it to move forward and if it moves forward, the shacke will rub/touch the leaf.

I drove for some 20Kms here in Bangalore today and found the ride/handling a bit wobbly. At times, when the wheels hit a pothole, there was a definite steering shake/wobble (Something that I have NEVER experienced before in the Gypsy).

The manufacturer needs to reduce the length by 3/4th of an inch.

Here are the pics.

Very less room for vertical movement..

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img0162a.jpg

The shackle is fully extended. It should follow the yellow line and come back as shown by red arrow. That means that the length of the leaf should be reduced by nearly 3/4th of an Inch. That should solve this issue
Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-img0165a.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th September 2009 at 21:40.
Old 28th September 2009, 22:01   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
For 50% of their online Alibaba cost of 'FOB Mumbai 2000 USD' you'd rather contact them directly.

Vijay sir, are Front CFLs out for the 540/550?
Hi Iron Wolf,

Sorry i don't know i have not enquired about it.
Old 6th October 2009, 19:43   #94
Team-BHP Support

My CJ340 CF leaf experiment is described here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...ml#post1517469 (How to live with a CJ340 or similar Jeep?)
Old 6th October 2009, 20:15   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Can't this issue be partially resolved by using slightly longer shackles? (shackle lift) Or does a longer shackle affect the handling or reliability or performance of the Gypsy?
Old 6th October 2009, 20:36   #96
Team-BHP Support

Sankar, you have to make it lot longer to negate the extra angle. It will raise the vehicle much higher. Then the shocks will get stay in stretched state. Not to forget the rise in CG. The correct thing to do is shorten the leaf.
Old 6th October 2009, 20:42   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sankar, you have to make it lot longer to negate the extra angle. It will raise the vehicle much higher. Then the shocks will get stay in stretched state. Not to forget the rise in CG. The correct thing to do is shorten the leaf.
Yes if much longer shackles are used then there are other things to take care of. I thought slightly longer ones would do.

But is it possible to shorten the leafs? How are these CF leafs attached to the metal piece at the ends? I see two bolts, but i don't think those two bolts alone holds the leaf to the metal part. There must be some kind of glue or must be a pressure fit, otherwise the bolts won't take the stress.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:15   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, longer shackle will work but would create it's own set of things to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
.... But is it possible to shorten the leafs? ..
You can't shorten the leafs yourself. The manufacturer will fabricate a new set which will be ~1" shorter than the current ones.

The existing ones will be replaced by the manufacturer
Old 8th October 2009, 02:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:

Here are the pics.

Very less room for vertical movement..

Attachment 198855

The shackle is fully extended. It should follow the yellow line and come back as shown by red arrow. That means that the length of the leaf should be reduced by nearly 3/4th of an Inch. That should solve this issue
Attachment 198856
Hi bhai,
1> You are right on that count. I noticed the same thing on a gypsy owned by some I know.
2> Maybe you could fabricate a longer shackle and try it.
3> It would probably help matters,although I would think it would be prone to body roll more.
cheers
Jammy

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th October 2009 at 09:06. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 8th October 2009, 22:38   #100
BHPian

Heres a Pic of my front Shackle with CFL's

Old 9th October 2009, 17:25   #101
BHPian

I would like to fix carbon fibre leaf springs for my Tata Sumo,is there any contact number for ARC industries in coimbatore.

@ khan_sultan
Your Gypsy looks macho , especially the alloys what brand is it & how much did it cost.
Old 15th October 2009, 08:35   #102
Senior - BHPian

My Gypsy has now done 1800kms, no glitches except for a leaking coolant tank that needed thread sealant tape to cure that.
Most - almost all- the time it will carry just two people, often just me alone. Before trying out the CFL, I am thinking of getting 4 bags of sand, of 50kilos each, and keeping it in the rear as ballast, because I notice that the back and forth pitching that is so unsettling in the car, reduces drastically with just two people at the back. I met a Gypsy driver of over ten years standing who told me that this makes the Gypsy a much better/settled vehicle to use on the highway. Any other thoughts for ballast?
My only concern is parking inside malls/hotels, where this will involve a conversation each time with the entrance security.
Old 15th October 2009, 08:45   #103
Team-BHP Support

Make it blocks of stones placed on a thick layer of sponge sheet or mattress. Easy to explain it. I have been thinking of similar ballast for my CJ340. In USA, pretty much every small pickups use something similar.
Old 15th October 2009, 08:49   #104
Senior - BHPian

Well yes, but the bags of sand would be easier to man handle in and out when the rear space is needed? And if the stones shift and hammer the body would be the concern. But I shall mull over that, thanks.
Old 16th October 2009, 15:14   #105
Senior - BHPian

CFL Product Brochure

For everyone's benefit, here's the CFL product brochure from Dr Nano INC.

Name:  Dr. Nano Inc Catalogue.gif
Views: 2613
Size:  195.8 KB

Dont ask what I (usually a modern car and classic car enthusiast), who's never done an OTR in his life, is doing in 4wd waters. Thats a story for later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks