Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Have got the front ones (the longer ones supplied earlier) replaced by Dr pawar with the shorter ones for my Gypsy King. Road holding & steering is much better but the jerks have slightly increased. There is also a problem in getting the wheels aligned.
I would currently not recomend the front CFL's.
Thanks for this info Rossi. Keep us updated on the progress.
I shall wait for your/Khan/Vijay/Samurai's updates before i buy. But i've decided to wait till its ready and upgrade all 4 when i do . Till then, enjoying the kickin ride that Gypsy is offering!
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:12   #122
Senior - BHPian

Deepak, it may make sense to always use a combination with the CFLs reserved for the rear only, where I believe they will make the most sense and are a drop in replacement. I had contacted Dr Pawar, after one exchange of calls, he is incommunicado, and I think I need to call him again! My thought is to use them for just the rear.
Old 4th December 2009, 20:46   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Thanks for this info Rossi. Keep us updated on the progress.
I shall wait for your/Khan/Vijay/Samurai's updates before i buy. But i've decided to wait till its ready and upgrade all 4 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Deepak, it may make sense to always use a combination with the CFLs reserved for the rear only, where I believe they will make the most sense and are a drop in replacement. ... My thought is to use them for just the rear.
Well, I am also waiting for the shorter front CFL, after agonizing wait of days that tured into weeks that eventually turned into months.

Right now the handling/ride quality is like a cat on a hot tin roof -- all over the place. in one word: HORRIBLE

Let's see how the replaced ones behave. But as of now I would also NOT recommend the front CFL's.

The rear ones -- FOR SURE can be installed. Works perfectly fine
Old 4th December 2009, 21:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Right now the handling/ride quality is like a cat on a hot tin roof -- all over the place. in one word: HORRIBLE
The obvious question - why dont you go back to the OE set for the front?
Old 4th December 2009, 21:11   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The obvious question - why dont you go back to the OE set for the front?
I want to try out the shorter ones and then see if they work (if possible with longer shackles) and then make a decision. Going back to OE is a matter of 1 hour at best. I want to see if I can use the front CFL effectively, as the articulation capability/camber of these is pretty good compared to OE's.

The Gypsy is not my daily drive so I can live with it but whenever I have taken it out, the ride/handling is horrible
Old 6th December 2009, 23:39   #126
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Has anyone measured the spring rate for these composite leaf springs? And compared this to the original's spring rate? Are these really progressive?

Also does the manufacturer give any figure for maximum deflection without permanent damage? And the maximum longitudinal load (shackle to centre bolt) that the spring can safely take.

Sutripta
Old 7th December 2009, 06:42   #127
Senior - BHPian

@Sutripta - from what I have seen thus far, it looks like a garage made thing. I doubt if any formal testing has been done to allow for the kind of information that you are looking for. One reason why I am not too keen to see them on the two front corners.
Old 7th December 2009, 08:52   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My concern about CFLs is not fatigue based failure, but one that is catastrophic. And this becomes a bigger factor because the OE is a set, and even if one leaf breaks, it is not a washout as would be the case in CFLs. So my question is - how has it been tested for strength? And does fiber get brittle with age and or use - so does the strength test need to be taken for sets of different ages?
I would hate to lose one on the front in a turn on a highway and lose control of the car.
I too have these concerns. And add two more:-
a) Composites behave differently for forces in different directions. And our cart sprung axles subject the leaf to complex forces. Have all these been worked out?

b) Consistency of manufacturing procedure. (Check out HALs experience with the tail rotor of their advanced copter.)

Composites don't lend themselves to mass manufacturing, and coupled with their cost, remain a boutique operation even in the west. But small does not mean rudimentary or unsophisticated. In fact, more often than not it means aerospace standards. Rocket science! Considering that the operation is headed by a technocrat, I would expect all information to be available.

It is not difficult measuring the spring rate. You can do it on your own.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th December 2009, 16:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I want to try out the shorter ones and then see if they work (if possible with longer shackles) and then make a decision.
@KS: The longer shackle stuff did NOT work for me - It was "H" as you mentioned above: I've gone back to OE Shackles..

Cheers
Old 10th December 2009, 15:49   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Sutripta - from what I have seen thus far, it looks like a garage made thing. I doubt if any formal testing has been done to allow for the kind of information that you are looking for. One reason why I am not too keen to see them on the two front corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Composites don't lend themselves to mass manufacturing, and coupled with their cost, remain a boutique operation even in the west. But small does not mean rudimentary or unsophisticated. In fact, more often than not it means aerospace standards. Rocket science! Considering that the operation is headed by a technocrat, I would expect all information to be available.
Guys, guys, slow down a bit here. I understand if you all think that we offroaders are little suicidal. But, we are also responsible guys with family, career and stuff. We won't just plonk something as important as leaf springs without much research.

I opted for it only after seeing various test videos and test reports of much heavier vehicles like Endy, Scorpio and Tavera. I also got some material from them before I bought my set. I have attached it. I converted the PPT to PDF since PPT can't be attached.

The fit and finish of the leafs is pretty good. It has a very solid feel to it when you hold it. So far I have not posted my review because my installation is not yet prefect. The shackle is holding the leaf too tight, I have referred to this problem before. Since the leafs can't move very freely right now, my review will be pre-mature. After discussing the solution proposed here to the local mechanics, we have finally decided on the solution. We are going to make a longer shackle bush, and put metal washers on both sides. Tomorrow I am leaving the Jeep at the workshop for this purpose.

So far I have only seen slight improvement in ride, let's see how it behaves after the bush problem is fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-arc_industries1.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-arc_industries2.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf CFLeaf.pdf (50.0 KB, 1651 views)
Old 10th December 2009, 16:19   #131
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tested this thingy on the Scorp ' ? Am actually keen keeping in mind the way the Scorp' is all over the place at high speeds.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:44   #132
Team-BHP Support

Riju, your Scorpio doesn't have leaf springs. Earlier Scorpios had leaf springs.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th December 2009 at 16:45.
Old 10th December 2009, 18:58   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Riju, your Scorpio doesn't have leaf springs. Earlier Scorpios had leaf springs.
Thanks for letting me know Sharath. However I really would like to know what needs to be done to keep this monster on road during those high speed sprints.

Last night was cruising at about 80kmph and I quickly had to change lanes coz of a truck driver( Looks like he fell asleep at the wheel). For a moment I could feel the rear of the Scorp' all over the place. I have gotten used to it now, however am still keen on investing in something that's worthwhile and serves the purpose.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:08   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We won't just plonk something as important as leaf springs without much research.

I opted for it only after seeing various test videos and test reports of much heavier vehicles like Endy, Scorpio and Tavera.
Hi,
Would you care to share the results of your research, and the test reports.

Am esp. interested in seeing usage on cart sprung vehicles.

What reason does the manufacturer give for not recommending it for front axle use?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 11th December 2009, 00:37   #135
Team-BHP Support

You can find some of them in this thread itself, if you read from the start.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks