Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 12:32   #166
Senior - BHPian

Kudos Khan,
I thought Traction bar was required on front axle more than rear. I think the traction bar on rear is to offset flex in your composite leaf spring.

You desperately need longer shocks in rear which is limiting your articulation. Why not employ front shocks of gypsy which seem to have longer travel at rear? Whats your opinion on this?
Old 28th July 2009, 13:26   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
... Do you any photos to show where is the traction bar attached to the frame? I am trying to understand photo no.3.
Photo #1 has the answer. It is attached there to the frame. It is a metal enclosed PU bush (Wagon R bush) that has been pressed into a metal casing. The traction bar is attached to this bush using shackles. That end of the traction bar also has a threaded bolt which will provide adequate flex during articulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
... Fantastic, you have just improved the Gypsy's reliability by leaps and bounds.
I agree. Only after getting this done & driving the Gypsy I realize the importance of the traction bar. I must say that I have been plain lucky to have got away without damaging my axles without the traction bar. In a high torque setup it is a disaster waiting to happen without a traction bar.

Quote:
How is the articulation? Some Spidey pics please
I did not get enough opportunities to test the articulation but whatever little I tried, the articulation was ok. No major hindrance to articulation due to the traction bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
.. I thought Traction bar was required on front axle more than rear. I think the traction bar on rear is to offset flex in your composite leaf spring.
I don't know if T-bar is required in the front BUT for sure it is almost necessary in the rear if you want a reliableSPoA setup. Composite springs are not that much of a factor.

Quote:
You desperately need longer shocks in rear which is limiting your articulation. Why not employ front shocks of gypsy which seem to have longer travel at rear?
One thing at a time.. Longer shocks will come one day
Old 28th July 2009, 14:28   #168
Senior - BHPian

Ah, so it does!

Need to have a closer look one of these days.

Apart from there - noticed that you posted you have Spidey's seats up for grab for any takers. So, what is in there now? Upgraded the seats to something special?
Old 18th November 2009, 19:35   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
...You desperately need longer shocks in rear which is limiting your articulation. Why not employ front shocks of gypsy which seem to have longer travel at rear? Whats your opinion on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
....One thing at a time.. Longer shocks will come one day
Coming soon...

Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project.  EDIT: Stage-2 Started now..-be561393007.jpg

F4-BE5-A464-H7 Bilstein 5100 Offroad Racing
Shocks for the FRONT.

~26" extended and ~16" compressed, giving a total travel of ~10". That should give some SOLID articulation.

Other tid-bits about these shocks:
  • Specifically engineered for offroad and lifted vehicles.
  • 14mm Hardened Chromed piston rod
  • One piece alloy rod guide & seal system
  • 46mm piston with self-adjusting digressive valving
  • One piece seamless monotube shock body
  • Patented nitrogen chamber and floating dividing piston
  • 360psi gas pressure
This will require some fabrication to be done... So, the season for work on the Gypsy starts again

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th November 2009 at 20:29.
Old 18th November 2009, 20:23   #170
Senior - BHPian

Awesome, whats the cost sir? And how do you manage to get it in India?
Old 30th December 2009, 15:33   #171
BHPian

Upside down traction bars?

K_S : Was looking at the pictures of the Gypsy at the 09 Noida Autocross and I felt there was something amiss with the traction bars here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-photo0915.jpg

Could you please have a look at this and the other pics ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-noida-3.html) of the vehicle and clarify?

Also the mounting points would drastically reduce ground clearance of the vehicle?
Old 4th January 2010, 10:31   #172
BHPian

The Gypsy belongs to a NIOC offroader. It has been prepared by Raj Kapoor. 35" tyres sir with custom made shocks by bilstein, custom fibreglass fenders, front & rear auto lockers, the list can go on and on. It is a monster!!
Old 4th January 2010, 11:07   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
K_S : Was looking at the pictures of the Gypsy at the 09 Noida Autocross and I felt there was something amiss with the traction bars here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-photo0915.jpg

Could you please have a look at this and the other pics ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-noida-3.html) of the vehicle and clarify?

Also the mounting points would drastically reduce ground clearance of the vehicle?
That orange bars are not traction bars but the links/arms for coil over. In this Gypsy, leafs have been removed and coil over done. So these orange bars hold the gypsy from chassis to axle (a very simple explanation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
The Gypsy belongs to a NIOC offroader. It has been prepared by Raj Kapoor. 35" tyres sir with custom made shocks by bilstein, custom fibreglass fenders, front & rear auto lockers, the list can go on and on. It is a monster!!
Yes, it's a beautiful monster.
PS: I don't think it has front lockers as yet . That is in the TBD list, as per Arjun.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:08   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
That orange bars are not traction bars but the links/arms for coil over. In this Gypsy, leafs have been removed and coil over done. So these orange bars hold the gypsy from chassis to axle (a very simple explanation).

Found this in some site. Hope this helps in better understanding coil over

Name:  krishna.JPG
Views: 3472
Size:  49.4 KB
Old 30th January 2010, 11:25   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, forgot to update this thread. Here is how the bilstien's look on the Gypsy. Had got them installed a day prior to the Bangalore Annual OTR.

Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project.  EDIT: Stage-2 Started now..-100_2632.jpg

Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project.  EDIT: Stage-2 Started now..-100_2633.jpg

As expected, the articulation is GREAT now and so is the ride quality at the front. No more bone jarring feedback from the suspension setup. Can fly over potholes/speedbrakers without any thought..

Now need to find good stable leafs for the front as the CFL's are no good for the front. Will now put on the EMU leafs up front and see how it works out.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:32   #176
Team-BHP Support

Yeah this man is totally nuts! he started and completed this mod "couple of hours" before a major OTR!

Khan saab i think you should add rubber beading around the bilstiens as Rudy suggested, why waste that dust caps.
Old 30th January 2010, 11:35   #177
Senior - BHPian

I missed driving spidy man, KS, do something ~ reliable
Old 30th January 2010, 11:45   #178
Team-BHP Support

Hey, so far it was as reliable as any other 4x4, only the front CF is giving trouble now. Then again its an R&D phase with that. I think the steering lateral force is too much + SPOA.

But the combo of shock and cf is deadly no more thunk's when you go over something, front is so much improved. Its the rear that tries to overtake you now
Old 30th January 2010, 11:56   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think the steering lateral force is too much + SPOA.
@ Jaggu: Can you explain the above better ?

Quote:
But the combo of shock and cf is deadly no more thunk's when you go over something, front is so much improved. Its the rear that tries to overtake you now
I did not follow this either. In simpler words please? You mean the rear jumps more than the front?
Old 30th January 2010, 13:31   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah this man is totally nuts! he started and completed this mod "couple of hours" before a major OTR!
What to do man, knowing the laziness, this would not get done otherwise..

Quote:
Khan saab i think you should add rubber beading around the bilstiens as Rudy suggested, why waste that dust caps.
Yes. has to be done.. lots of small patchup things pending. I couldn't ask them to do this at 12.30 in the night that day

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I missed driving spidy man, KS, do something ~ reliable
Agree. I was devastated/frustrated beyond imagination when I saw that front CFL crack. Not much fun, if the thing is not reliable.. Don;t worry saaarr, it will get there. All part of the game..

Quote:
Hey, so far it was as reliable as any other 4x4, only the front CF is giving trouble now. Then again its an R&D phase with that. I think the steering lateral force is too much + SPOA.
touch wood.. apart from the front CFL issue, all other mods have been SUPER reliable till now and well tested over time. Even the front CFL are experimental (and the dealer/manufacturer had clearly stated so) but still you feel bad when you have to baby-sit the vehicle during the OTR and not push it.

Quote:
Oh, i love that feeling. Believe me, it's kind of "Priceless". Being in a Gypsy, jumping over speedbrakers and no more bone jarring 'thunks'..

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@ Jaggu: Can you explain the above better ?
The damping by bilstien is working very nicely..

Quote:
I did not follow this either. In simpler words please? You mean the rear jumps more than the front?
Yes, the rear jumps more than front -- stock shocks in rear till now..

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st February 2010 at 07:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks