Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 16:03   #76
Senior - BHPian

Khan,

A non technical question - do you think you are giving the Bangalore cops easy money by doing this? RC endorsement, blah, blah, blah...
Old 18th March 2009, 16:04   #77
Senior - BHPian

I thought the Fibreglass springs were going in too? Are those the fibreglass ones and if yes please post close-up pics (i.e., get someone else to do the job).
Old 18th March 2009, 16:13   #78
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
if yes please let us know now what is the final GC achieved.
GC will not increase.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

An example of how T-Bhp converts you.

Today, I noticed that the TATA 407, Trucks and Busses, come factory fitted with SPoA.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
GC will not increase.
Oh sorry Sha i got it now he has that same old tyres and disc by seeing front photo with the previous it looked as a small monster just trying to grow i am confused but technically GC is not Changed But we have more clearance to the chassis and Tub correct me
Old 18th March 2009, 16:33   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... let us know now what is the final GC achieved.
The GC at the diff level remains the same but the CG DOES alter -- refer to article I linked to.

The front fender height is now 29" (tyres) + 8.5" (wheel - fender) = 37.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
...do you think you are giving the Bangalore cops easy money by doing this? RC endorsement, blah, blah, blah...
Subh Subh bolo sir. Will find out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I thought the Fibreglass springs were going in too? Are those the fibreglass ones and if yes please post close-up pics (i.e., get someone else to do the job).
No. not yet. Will see how Vijay's fiber leaf enabled Gypsy behaves in off-road and will then decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
..Today, I noticed that the TATA 407, Trucks and Busses, come factory fitted with SPoA.
he he. tell me. I can probably name all vehicles that have SPOA. Even the TATA Ace has SPOA at the back and SPUA in the front (or is it the other way around)

EDIT:
Quote:
by seeing front photo with the previous it looked as a small monster just trying to grow
he he. Nice one. A monster trying to grow :-)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2009 at 16:41.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

hey buddy nice stuff there man my office shifted E-city to Whitefield , else I wud have dropped by to Suraksha to check this in the making .

However my compliments to you for trying this wonderful thing, your gypsy sure looks mean.
BTW I have a question for you, do you plan to mount your bumpers back on ? Somehow its looks bland to me.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:43   #83
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Khan,

A non technical question - do you think you are giving the Bangalore cops easy money by doing this? RC endorsement, blah, blah, blah...
It has Muscular look cops will never stop Gypsy in bangalore.

Quote:
Oh sorry Sha i got it now he has that same old tyres and disc by seeing front photo with the previous it looked as a small monster just trying to grow i am confused but technically GC is not Changed But we have more clearance to the chassis and Tub correct me
Khan has explained. Vijay it looks like auto can go inside from front without bumper.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It looks like auto can go inside from front without bumper.
Shahnawaz you will have to be extra careful now. Autos & two wheeler folks will try to squeeze through from underneath your vehicle now.

All it needs now are even bigger tyres. ROFL.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:04   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
..... do you plan to mount your bumpers back on ? Somehow its looks bland to me.
No, the bumper will not be back. However, once I am done with the structural/mechanical mods for off-roading, I will start the 'looks/misc' mods that will cover all 'visual' aspects.

Quote:
... it looks like auto can go inside from front without bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
... you will have to be extra careful now. Autos & two wheeler folks will try to squeeze through from underneath your vehicle now..
He he.. though initially they just look perplexed as to 'what this thing is'.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:08   #86
BANNED

Why did'nt you think of Coil spring suspension, instead of retaining spring blades.

This SPOA project will only increase the GC or you had something else in mind.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:09   #87

The ground clearence and the overall center of gravity will not change as the lowest points of the axels (diffs) are still at the same height as they used to be. The only difference of this setup is more space for the axel to travel (articlulation) while negotiating obstacles. I achieved close to 3" of lift as opposed to 4" of lift of this setup (Khan corrct me if i am wrong) by arching up the leaf springs on my Gypsy. The ride quality definitely got bad at the rear as now the springs had more tension, this wont be seen in teh SPOA setup. Apart from that there was no appreciable change in handling. Thus regular arching of leaf springs can produce similar results as the SPOA although not consistently as the leaf springs ultimately loose tension and sog down, also repeated arching cause elstic fatigue on the springs and is not recommended to be done oftenly, but once done its a good way to achieve better articulation with the stock setup especiallty with the Gypsy as it is a light vehicle. Also adding one leaf on each of the four set which is harder that the stock ones completely reuins the ride quality but gives better articulation and holds the tension for a longer time. its a compromise you have to make between off road ability and comfort.
Old 19th March 2009, 07:47   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Good question, but I don't know and I am not spending time unduly worrying about all this. I know what i am getting into has it's own pro's/con's and am ok with all the associated risks it comes with.

It it lifts, so be it.
Way to go buddy! I've had some critiscms too when i cut my gypsy overhang about the rear wheel lift etc.. ALL BS, it performs beautifully, even on track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushagr View Post
adding one leaf on each of the four set which is harder that the stock ones completely reuins the ride quality but gives better articulation and holds the tension for a longer time. its a compromise you have to make between off road ability and comfort.
Sir, is it adding one leaf or removing one? Adding leaf will make the suspension stiffer and hence less articulation..

A softer suspension will have better articulation especially if the sway bars are removed! a.k.a Khan Gypsy!

Shanavaz, Interesting progress on the project. Hope it satifies your urge to push yourself and the gypsy!

All the best!
Old 19th March 2009, 10:50   #89
Team-BHP Support

bravo! she looks good with her break dance moves

Brake pipe, prop shaft etc do give us more details on how you solved these?
Old 19th March 2009, 11:51   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Why did'nt you think of Coil spring suspension, instead of retaining spring blades....
Will happen one day Pavan. a question of 'when' and not 'if'. Right now the SPOA mod was the least complex and least involvement from my side. Coil work would be lots more complex and would need lots of time from my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushagr View Post
...Thus regular arching of leaf springs can produce similar results as the SPOA although not consistently as the leaf springs ultimately loose tension and sog down, ... its a compromise you have to make between off road ability and comfort.
There are several ways to accomplish a lift and longer/raaised springs are one of the ways -- but they can lift ONLY that much.

With SPOA the minimum lift you get is 4-5" and from then on you can go upto 6-7-8-9.. " and even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
... Hope it satifies your urge to push yourself and the gypsy!..
Thanks Vikram. For the time being it should satisfy. Honestly speaking, I have to learn/un learn lots of things about off-roading now all over again with the mods that I have done recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
.. Brake pipe, prop shaft etc do give us more details on how you solved these?
Everything is STOCK for now. No changes AT ALL. For on-road/city driving, no changes are required but would be necessary for off-road.

Brake Pipes: Have altered the clamps at the chassis end so am getting enough length for now.

Prop Shaft: just < 1" of slpine is showing up. This should NOT be an issue on road as still 2.5" of spline is in the shaft.

Steering: Not an issue on road. Still stock.

How will I solve these for off-road will be the next stage of work

Stage 1 of the project is over for now.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th March 2009 at 11:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks