Team-BHP - Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project. EDIT: Stage-2 Started now..
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project. EDIT: Stage-2 Started now.. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/54879-gypsy-steroids-spoa-project-edit-stage-2-started-now.html)

Friends,

Wish me luck, as this weekend begins the SPoA (Spring Perched over Axles) Project.

Just few simple requirements:A special Zuk that has inspired me for this project is:
Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project.  EDIT: Stage-2 Started now..-bulldawg1.jpg

Read about this Zuk here: Suzuki Samurai Offroad Photo Gallery

Hopefully, my Gypsy, which looks like this currently will be in good shape in 1-2 weeks.

Will keep this thread updated as the project goes on

Cheers,

I wish you all the luck...this is going to be a tricky one.

All the very best Khan sir. :thumbs up Needs a good amount of engineering.
So no recce this weekend :D

Best Of Luck Khan, wishing you success in this Project and the only thing is Shoes will not be matching after the project is completed :D

Isn't that Zuki a SWB? Remember seeing Sidekicks like that in the US.
Best of luck with your project. Looking forward to the end result.

Cheers

here's wishing you all the luck khan !

Thanks guys. Much appreciated & needed :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1208824)
...this is going to be a tricky one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by star_aqua (Post 1208833)
.... Needs a good amount of engineering...

True. While earlier mods were 'getting parts' from outside and then just putting them here, this project is different from earlier ones as EVERYTHING will be custom fabricated & then installed.

Even with the earlier projects I had my share of spending endless nights of research & then time at workshops, this one will be many times over involved.

The good thing is that we know what all is involved and what all has to be done but still this will be very tricky as we don't have measurements for ANYTHING as yet. All the measurements for the parts to be fabricated will be done ONLY after the project starts and dismantling of the axles is done.

This is what all has to be fabricated/procuredOther things that could possibly be requiredAnd loads of patience, cutting chai & smoke + being ready for the 'unexpected'

There's a SPoA gypsy parked next to my house. Absolutely amazing. The owner has also maintained it very well and it has a ton of offroading accessories.

The same owner also has a Pajero heavily modified for offroading. Both front and rear bumpers in the pajero have been removed to improve approach/departure angle.

Let me try to take pics and see if I can talk to the owner.

All the best for your project Shahnawaz. Will watch this thread closely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1208935)
There's a SPoA gypsy parked next to my house. ....
Let me try to take pics and see if I can talk to the owner.

Wow. Would like to see it in person and check out how it has been done.

Meanwhile, if possible, get me pictures of the following:

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 1208933)
=Propeller shaft spacers. With the lift, the shaft will become short. So would need custom spacers -- both for front/re
  • Longer dampers/shocks
  • Custom mounts for long dampers/shocks

where do the spacers go? on the flange that connects the shaft to the diff?

Ah.. nice. I was thinking what happened to Khan saab, happy already with the crawler and tyres....

I was thinking of an SPoA conversion for the classic too but the amount of work required and my apprehensions about the garage's capability made me think otherwise.

Dinar another member here knows about a CL340 which has a SPoA and was used quite frequently in the mining areas of Goa.

Best of Luck for your project.

Best of luck, khan_sultan !

@ Khan - I think "extreme power's" gypsy also has the same setup. Saw it recently in delhi. I think it was here for the chandigarh OTR. Looks absolutely fab. Try contacting him. It's always better to take someone's opinion who has done it before rather than re-inventing the wheel.
Best of luck for your project. I will be closely following it, am in love with your gypsy.

cheers
vishwas

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 1208805)
Just few simple requirements:
  • Increase height so that wheels can travel more while articulating
  • Increased height to go a bit extreme on pure off-roading. Till now we have been doing just simple jungle trail stuff.
  • Have more flex
  • Look 'as mean as possible' &
  • Be as 'mean as possible' on the trails.
A special Zuk that has inspired me for this project is:
Attachment 110511

Hello bhai,
A friend of ours Zak has done similar modifications in Bangalore,call me let's try and meet him.Might prove helpful in your modification.
Cheers
Jammy

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.