Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 22:31   #31
BHPian

@ Tusker 4X4 - where did you procure rhino hooks in delhi? What cost?
I'm also looking to add these to my jeep. But I want them of very good quality. Last thing I want is them to snap when being pulled out.

cheers
vishwas
Old 20th March 2009, 13:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Same story here Vinod, My kids love to go on the OTR not my wife. I have tried to get her to drive the Jeep. but not sucessfull. She just refuses to go on the OTR.

(Pls excuse my Spells)
Amit (Tuskar4x4) is the official rescuer for NIOC!

I have got stuck in mud as sand at times. Greatest thing about off roading in a group is you leave no man behind, and soon you will see Laxman or Amit running towards you with a tow rope.

Thankfully the Gypsy has factory fitted tow U hooks on the front and rear chasis for rescue!

There are 2 things you get stuck in on an OTR:
  1. Your 4x4 can get stuck in some challanging terrain
  2. Your wife will get stuck no matter what and how hard you try (4H/4L) you wheels will only dig you in
It is great fun never the less and good learning!
Old 20th March 2009, 13:35   #33
BHPian

Can some one post the pictures of hooks and shackles. We newbies dont know what these are and have to learn. I am convinced that i have to have these after I got stuck in that muddy pit.
Old 20th March 2009, 13:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
@ Tusker 4X4 - where did you procure rhino hooks in delhi? What cost?
I'm also looking to add these to my jeep. But I want them of very good quality. Last thing I want is them to snap when being pulled out.

cheers
vishwas
Hi Vishwas,

Rino Hooks are available in Mayapuri. They are like a C . The lower part of the C gets bolted on the front chasis, the upper is open to put the tow ropes/ straps

I picked up mine for about 100/- Ill post a pick of that after a while

Regds

Amit
Old 20th March 2009, 14:16   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Hi Vishwas,

Rino Hooks are available in Mayapuri. They are like a C . The lower part of the C gets bolted on the front chasis, the upper is open to put the tow ropes/ straps

I picked up mine for about 100/- Ill post a pick of that after a while

Regds

Amit
Pic attached from one of the NIOC jeeps. this is one of the jeeps used to pull everyone out no matter what vehicle!
Attached Thumbnails
When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-rhino-hooks.jpg  

Old 20th March 2009, 20:18   #36
BHPian

So what do I ask for in mayapuri? Rhino hooks or someother name they are locally called as? Any shop in particular?
100 each or pair?

cheers
vishwas
Old 20th March 2009, 22:05   #37
BHPian

Just ask for a Rino Hook at any of the shops selling the Cans / Bullet boxes etc
Attached Thumbnails
When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-rino-hook.jpg  

Old 20th March 2009, 22:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
So what do I ask for in mayapuri? Rhino hooks or someother name they are locally called as? Any shop in particular?
100 each or pair?

cheers
vishwas
100/- for one. If you bargain may be u get it cheaper. Its mayapuri after all
Old 21st March 2009, 00:23   #39
BHPian

Thanks, shall pick one set when I pass by there next time. Any idea can I find those heavy duty tow rings one sees on DTC/Blueline busses there as well?

cheers
vishwas
Old 21st March 2009, 00:54   #40
BHPian

My circus :-)

I got royally stuck in Pearl valley OTR. That was the first and last time i got stuck in my Limited OTR experience. Who knows what surprise i have in coming days. Oh boy!!! what not we tried that day!!! it took whopping 1 hr to take me out.

And did i enjoy that? Hell Yeah!!!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1039265-post17.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1040616-post27.html
Thanks and Be proud if you get stuck
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 21st March 2009 at 01:00.
Old 21st March 2009, 15:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

I was out riding with a friend who has a 4x4 Armada. He came up a small rise to the crest and hung himself nicely on top, skewered on the top of the berm. The right front wheel cleared the berm but the right side chassis and running board was bottomed out about three feet behind the right front wheel. The left side was still clear. He could not go forward without damaging the running board and silencer on the berm. (Actually the running board was already pretty well bent up.) He could not go backward because he had already hit the right front shackle pretty hard on the berm and he was afraid of tearing the axle off at the shackles and u-bolts.

The solution was simple and ingenious. He jacked up the right rear axle and then placed several loose rocks under the right rear wheel. Then he proceeded to make a one meter ramp of loose rocks extending back from the rocks now under the right rear wheel. He let the jack down. The rocks under the right rear wheel now gave clearance and he simply reversed and drove down the short improvised ramp which gave him all the clearance he needed. Casualty, one crinkled running board and some paint on the chassis.
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
she says-" why didnt you buy yourself a maruti 800?- Total image damage

From then she never accompanied me on an OTR even after getting married to her for 3 years now
Couldnt help it vinod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I was out riding with a friend who has a 4x4 Armada. He came up a small rise to the crest and hung himself nicely on top, skewered on the top of the berm. The right front wheel cleared the berm but the right side chassis and running board was bottomed out about three feet behind the right front wheel. The left side was still clear. He could not go forward without damaging the running board and silencer on the berm. (Actually the running board was already pretty well bent up.) He could not go backward because he had already hit the right front shackle pretty hard on the berm and he was afraid of tearing the axle off at the shackles and u-bolts.

The solution was simple and ingenious. He jacked up the right rear axle and then placed several loose rocks under the right rear wheel. Then he proceeded to make a one meter ramp of loose rocks extending back from the rocks now under the right rear wheel. He let the jack down. The rocks under the right rear wheel now gave clearance and he simply reversed and drove down the short improvised ramp which gave him all the clearance he needed. Casualty, one crinkled running board and some paint on the chassis.
Thats a nice job, any pictures DD for better understanding!
Old 30th April 2009, 14:19   #43
BHPian

Hi all, when it comes to offroad, for me it is more driving in desert. I normally keep 28 PS tyre pressure but I have adviced by the experts here that I should keep tyre pressure 15 PS when driving on dunes. For this, I was thinking to buy a pressure guage and a small air compressure which I found on ebay India but I am not sure about their quality and if they are practical (specially air compressure). Can you please check the below link and advice me if should I go ahead to buy them from ebay. Thanks..

Pressure Gauge :: Rs. 99 + shippping Rs. 71 eBay India: Original Imported 'JD' Tyre Pressure Gauge (item 310138412385 end time 03-May-2009 23:12:06 IST)

Portable Air compressure for Rs. 650 and shipping free.. eBay India: PORTABLE CAR AIR COMPRESSOR FOR FLAT TYRES + FREE GIFT (item 360151231372 end time 30-Apr-2009 16:00:00 IST)
Old 30th April 2009, 14:39   #44
BHPian

@Desert King,

You will get the exact same Tyre pressure Gauage for Rs 170/- from any TATA genuine accessory store. I have one with me. Its blue in color, comes in a small pastic case.

It comes with bill, so incase it doesnt work you can atleast get it exchanged.
Old 1st May 2009, 10:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
...You will get the exact same Tyre pressure Gauage for Rs 170/- from any TATA genuine accessory store...
Do these people have portable type of air compressor also?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks