Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Armada Grand 4WD Modifications

I recently came across an Armada Grand 4WD for sale. I remember Arka mentioned a while back about an idea he had to cut the chasis to shorted the wheelbase to the MM550 wheelbase. This way you get an MM550 XDB with AC/PS/New Generation Chasis/Disc Brakes etc..

I read on the Munnar OTR thread that there was a 540 which was was on a shortened Armada chasis.

I would like to get opinions from the forum about the pros and cons of actually cutting the chasis in the middle to shorten the wheelbase. Is there a way to do it and still maintain the strength of the chasis.
Old 24th March 2009, 00:22   #2

hi, its a good idea if you planning to make it short...the best way you can do is cut the frame in cross style and removing the unwanted size rejoin it by welding it either co2 or argon welding if not you can do regular electric welding with proper rod. then make a c channel plate more than a feet size and fit it from outer side facing inwards and either spot weld it or do nut-bolt or rivit system. i have done couple of jeeps it works fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I recently came across an Armada Grand 4WD for sale. I remember Arka mentioned a while back about an idea he had to cut the chasis to shorted the wheelbase to the MM550 wheelbase. This way you get an MM550 XDB with AC/PS/New Generation Chasis/Disc Brakes etc..

I read on the Munnar OTR thread that there was a 540 which was was on a shortened Armada chasis.

I would like to get opinions from the forum about the pros and cons of actually cutting the chasis in the middle to shorten the wheelbase. Is there a way to do it and still maintain the strength of the chasis.
Old 24th March 2009, 00:49   #3
BHPian

It is possibe to maintain the strength if the welding is done properly with some reinforcing members added. The tricky part ensuring that the 'new' chassis remains true, i.e. perfectly straight. Gas cutting and post weld distortions will make this very diffficult. Even if there is 0.5 degree of error, you will feel the vehicle crab on the road. I would not recommend playing around with the chassis.
Another problem is that Armada Grand/Bolero wheelbase NGCS vehicles have very poor front axle articulation.

You can get disc brakes installed on an older 540 with relative ease. The Classic, MM550XD and Armada are some of the pre-NGCS vehicles with servo assisted disc brakes.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi tini,
I feel it is too much of a pain! Why dont you use it as a famility 4wd tourer? Do a good custom paint job, add 31 inch tyres, lower the diff ratio from 4.88 to 5.38. Armada grand has good NVH characterstics so it will be good on-off highway vehicle. You have MM540 Di turbo for your off road duty, make armada grand as a 4wd tourer.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Considering that you are anyway chopping it, and that you already have a 540, why not make it a SWB?? Should be a hoot off road!
Old 24th March 2009, 12:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
It is possibe to maintain the strength if the welding is done properly with some reinforcing members added. The tricky part ensuring that the 'new' chassis remains true, i.e. perfectly straight. Gas cutting and post weld distortions will make this very diffficult. Even if there is 0.5 degree of error, you will feel the vehicle crab on the road. I would not recommend playing around with the chassis.
I agree with you. Getting the Strength/chasis stiffness will not be a problem. Whereas unless proper fixtures with location pins/features are used before cutting the chasis, it will be a dicey and errors are bound to happen while re- joining

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th March 2009 at 12:26. Reason: fixed end quote
Old 24th March 2009, 19:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I can help you by getting you a Grand chassis?
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:46   #8
BHPian

Hi 4x4addict, why do you want to chop it why dont you try doing some thing like this (pictures), i too have found an armada 4x4 and ill be doing something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-img_0303_email.jpg  

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-jeep_01.jpg  

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-jeep_02.jpg  

whicked wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2009, 01:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

yeah rather than making it into a SWB or like 540/550, make it different family size 4x4.

here is one more option for you. this guy has done a good job and posted these two photos some where in this forum. hope this guy doesnt mind me posting these two photos here for inspiration to others.
Attached Thumbnails
Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-o2.jpg  

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-h3.jpg  

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-l1.jpg  

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-m1.jpg  

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-n5.jpg  

Old 5th April 2009, 01:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

sorry i missed these two photos in my earlier reply! so here they are.
Old 5th April 2009, 17:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

hi 4x4addict

please if you buy it don't shorten it,you can make a good offroder having some bling & a little more practical then swb 550.

if you google offroad it will give you results containing more & more long wheel base jeep or you can go to any offroad forum ,you will be surprised to the number of lwb vehicles there..
as you know i have lwb mahindra which i will be doung similar modifications in future.

Last edited by jeepster : 5th April 2009 at 18:08.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

some pictures

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-img_0866.jpg

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-img_1472.jpg

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-img_1473.jpg

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-img_1474.jpg

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-img_1475.jpg
Old 5th April 2009, 19:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Jeepster whats that big metal thing on the roof for ? Is it just a roofrack , if yes then whats the use of it being hinged like that ?

Last edited by bigman : 5th April 2009 at 19:03.
Old 6th April 2009, 09:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Jeepster whats that big metal thing on the roof for ? Is it just a roofrack , if yes then whats the use of it being hinged like that ?
hi bigman

i think it is a roof rack but i dont know about its use.
may be its used for camping or otr or something like following .

Armada Grand 4WD Modifications-13.jpg
Old 14th April 2009, 14:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Hey , i think i figured it out, it hinged for Solar panels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks