Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:11   #1

Seat Belts for a jeep

Hi all,

I am almost done with restoring my jeep, had a concern though regarding fitting seat belts. I am sure the knowledgeable members would be able to help me out. Mine is an open jeep so i am not really sure how would i be able to fit the seat belts. On approaching an accessories shop they had no idea how to do it in a jeep.
Old 3rd April 2009, 23:44   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Never ever (repeat once again) drive without seatbelts. More so in a Jeep which was designed at a time when safety standards was an unheard of term. Getting thrown out of a Jeep is easier than we think.

1. Source a set of OEM seatbelts (My Jeep is running Maruti seatbelts IIRC).

2. Use the B pillar (of the roll bar) as an anchorage point. Use the toughest quality bolts to secure.

3. Ditto for the buckle mechanism (fitted between the seats as in any other car.

Ensure that the seat belt assembly is OEM (ensures quality) and the retractable type. A pretensioner is mandatory.

Look closely at the seat belt assembly in this picture:
Seat Belts for a jeep-rear-interior-view.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2009, 11:58   #3

Thnx a million GTO, and u had warned me once before never to drive without seatbelts. I have it as a priority fix, and will approach the Mechanic with this pic. once again thnx
viruz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2009, 15:14   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good move in treating it as a high-priority. Let us know if you need any more help / detailed pictures.
Old 18th June 2014, 14:31   #5
BHPian

Install Seat-Belts on a CJ500

Moderator Note: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Post merged with a similar thread. Thanks.

Dear All,

Having gone through many posts in the 4x4s modification jobs listed in this section, I observe that many of the Jeeps are without seat-belts, barring the newly acquired Thars and those used by extreme off-road enthusiasts. On this issue, I am guilty as well, and have decided to have good strong and reliable seat-belts installed for both the front seats and the front facing rear seats.

We are mostly aware why, we need seat-belts, both in terms of safety and abidance of the law. I do not believe it is necessary to go into the details of such a mandatory accessory.

I am not an expert at modification jobs, I always happen to take my trusted (!) mechanic’s word for any modification jobs. If indeed there are dedicated posts on seat-belt installation, would appreciate, being directed to them. Else, would be glad to keep this thread updated on what I intend to do (or be advised to do).

In my limited knowledge, I think the installing seat-belts for the front seat occupants is pretty straight forward excepting that I am looking for inputs on the two (I presume) anchoring points. I intend to buy stock belt sets from OEM and have them installed. For guidance I have a 2012 Bolero 4WD pick-up which came with belts and intend to do a similar job.

My primary intention to open this thread was to have belts fixed for the rear seats which are front facing. On this, a complete engineering advise is solicited.

The roll cage as you can see (if it can be called such) only protects the rear section of the CJ500. The extension to the front section will also be done in due course, as and when the pockets deepen.

Please feel free to tear up my assumptions. I am open to any counter arguments.

Thank you in advance
Arun

I attach suitable angle pictures of the CJ500. As my photoshop skills range from nothing to negligible, would be grateful for any edits with ideas marked up.

Thanks again

Seat Belts for a jeep-20140617_163651.jpg

Seat Belts for a jeep-20140617_163712.jpg

Seat Belts for a jeep-20140617_163722.jpg

Seat Belts for a jeep-20140617_163736.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th June 2014 at 15:49.
Old 21st June 2014, 19:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seat Belts for a jeep

You can use the B pillar for the pre-tensioner and the floor mounting for the seat belt block up front. for the rear the pre-tensioner can be mounted either on the red sloping arms or you can fabricate a mounting bracket off the rear slop of the bull bar.
The dilemma is in jeeps like mine where you have no bars or anchorage available above your shoulder height. What to do in those cases?
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
You can use the B pillar for the pre-tensioner and the floor mounting for the seat belt block up front. for the rear the pre-tensioner can be mounted either on the red sloping arms or you can fabricate a mounting bracket off the rear slop of the bull bar.
The dilemma is in jeeps like mine where you have no bars or anchorage available above your shoulder height. What to do in those cases?
Thank you wanderernomad. I quite understood the installation for the front seat.

However, for the rear seats, the pre-tension point, I believe that it cannot be on the red sloping arms, they are not as strong as they look (they are meant as a support for the roof sheet), so I am more inclined to take up your suggestion of fabricating a mounting bracket off the rear sloping bull bar. My quandary is whether to fabricate a bar (straight or inverted C shaped) that connects the slopes (right & left) or just mount one on the floor behind the seat?

Grateful in advance for any suggestions?

cheers

AG
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

See the picture below. How they would look in terms of asthetics is subjective though even I cannot totally agree with it. However, on first look it can be either a triangle double mounted with screws on your bull bar (yellow Option) or a Straight T type arm to support your scissor mounted onto the bull bar (Green Option). Get a rough fabrication done and see for visual appeal.
Attached Thumbnails
Seat Belts for a jeep-rear-seat-belt-option.jpg  

wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:50   #9
BHPian

Hi,

Just wanted to update on the seat-belt procurement. Ordered 1 set of Mahindra Thar belts (from authorised OEM supplier in town), for 2 front seats and 2 for the front facing rear seats, having confirmed that I will receive 4 sets of 3 point belts. Received only 2 belts for the front seats. Mahindra Thar seat belt kit consists of only 2 belts. So when you order, please ask for 2 sets, if you need 4 belts. When I paid (thinking it was for 4 belts), each was priced at 675/-, 2,750/- in total. Now it turns out, each cost 1,350/- each (inclusive of VAT). Have now ordered for 2 more.

Cheers

AG
Seat Belts for a jeep-20140703_153153.jpg
Old 7th July 2014, 16:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
3. Ditto for the buckle mechanism (fitted between the seats as in any other car.
Dear GTO, grateful if you can post a close up picture of the belt assembly at the bottom next to the seat. I am a bit crammed for space, would like to have a close look at what you have done.

Many thanks

Arun
Old 26th July 2014, 20:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are using the jeep primarily for offroading, then the inertia belts are not adequate.

Most topples are slow speed where the inertia belts may not work.

For front go for regular non retracting (non inertia) belts and for the rear just go for a lap belt like used in aircrafts (or rear middle seat of few sedans). Ofcourse you will need to do something about head protection of rear passengers since the roll cage doesn't offer them safety.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 13:05   #12
BHPian

Are 4 point seat belt harnesses legal in Commercial vehicles in India? I'm not really sure about this but I do know that a lot of military vehicle requirements specify their presence. If yes, then that can be looked at as a viable option!

Looking at your pictures, looks like you've already finalized the 3 point ones.

Just my 2 cents!
asivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 12:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If you are using the jeep primarily for offroading, then the inertia belts are not adequate.

Most topples are slow speed where the inertia belts may not work.

For front go for regular non retracting (non inertia) belts and for the rear just go for a lap belt like used in aircrafts (or rear middle seat of few sedans). Ofcourse you will need to do something about head protection of rear passengers since the roll cage doesn't offer them safety.
Dear Tejas Bhai,

Many thanks for your inputs. Have taken your advise and settled for non-retracting belts. However, on insistence of the missus, (OKOKOK, threats ) have gone for similar belts for the rear seats, owing to her reasoning that children might sleep peacefully, in instances of long late night drives. Now, looking to dispose off 2 sets of inertia belt sets. Also, the decision was easy, when we encountered space constraints. Will post pics of the fixing arrangements, have welded brackets to the roll cage. the cage is in the paint shop and looking forward to a new bikini top!. Again many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post
Are 4 point seat belt harnesses legal in Commercial vehicles in India? I'm not really sure about this but I do know that a lot of military vehicle requirements specify their presence. If yes, then that can be looked at as a viable option!

Looking at your pictures, looks like you've already finalized the 3 point ones.

Just my 2 cents!
Dear Asivan Bhai,

Haven't really come across a 4 point belt system (don't be surprised, please consider my limited exposure to automobiles) and I don't even know how it fits. Yes, have already decided on 3 point belts and have begun working on it too. You may consider me as many would say, a light-medium off-roader (something like Venkatesh Prasad's "fast" bowling But still, thank you for your suggestion and will consult Dr. Google on the 4 point system.
arun27g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 11:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun27g View Post

Haven't really come across a 4 point belt system...
Hi Arun,

I'm not really an expert in offroading either Have some experience in designing and integrating 4x4 Mil spec vehicles from my previous works. If you need any help, I'm always available.

Thanks!

Arvind
asivan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 16:18   #15
BHPian

Finally had the seat belts fixed. Non Inertia belts it is. Bought 4 sets of Wagon R belts, costing Rs. 800/-, each (including VAT from the local MSIL dealer).

Seat Belts for a jeep-20140808_145951.jpg

The bracket to which a suitable nut was fully welded at the back, was itself fully welded to the B Frame for the front seats. For the rear seats, a similar bracket was welded to the cross brace connecting the B & C Pillar. 4 brackets cost Rs. 110/- each.

Seat Belts for a jeep-20140808_150209.jpg

Finally, feel safer and pleased with the final outcome.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks