Team-BHP - Mahindra: 4x2 to 4x4 conversion
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Mahindra: 4x2 to 4x4 conversion (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/56348-mahindra-4x2-4x4-conversion.html)

I wish to convert my 2008 Mahindra Bolero into a 4x4 vehicle.

Bolero 4x4 version is available from M & M, but when I came to India and wanted to buy a vehicle for personal use in August 2008, a 4x4 version was not available off the shelf at the dealership. If they ordered it, it would take anything between 3 to 4 months ( according to the Patna dealer, Sonali Auto ).

Anyway I bought this Bolero SLX.

I want to install a 4x4 drive system along with a transfer case. Is it possible ? Is the vehicle designed to incorporate this. THe 4x4 Bolero comes with a different XDP3 engine.

Besides I would like to raise the vehicle clearance by 50 mm to 60 mm. Will I be able to find heavy duty Coil Springs and Nitro shocks for the front suspension and extra duty coil springs for the rear suspension.

Who makes them in India ?

The 4x4 drive train system will have to be bought from M & M I guess.

Has something like this been done by team BHP members earlier ?

What would be the approximate price of the 4x4 drive train ?

Is a central diff lock also possible ?

The purpose of this project is to make the vehicle more useful offroad and for my city commuting I will buy another Scorpio A/T or the Toyota Foretuner if it arrives soon.

You will need to source a front differential assembly. Removing your IFS and making the front a live axle with leaf springs would need the services of a top class mechanic. You would also need to change your power steering and your engine and your gearbox. You would need to procure a transfer case and the ecm for the same. (This b'cos I do not think they make the manual shift transfer case anymore)
This would cost about 1 lakh after you exchange all your stuff and the labour cost being extra (I am not including the cost of the Diff lock). Lets also talk about 2 months of quality workshop time for you and your jeep.:D
Does not seem really worth it, eh?

The Bolero 4x4 has leaf-springs in the front end, while the 4x2 is Independent. To make it into a 4x4, you would need to take out the independent unit, which has been welded to the chassis, then weld new spring mounts, and then a transfer case and an axle at the front.

Now the problem is,even if you take out the independent system without harming the chassis, you have to weld in the mounts right at the same place at both sides of the chassi rail, and just a little bit of difference would ruin your vehicle, with lots of alignment problems ,etc.

You can try buying a new chassis, but thats going to be expensive, about 40grands i think.
A new axle(open knuckles), as told to me by an authorised mahindra dealer, costs about 60 grands complete, and the same amount would go in for a new transfercase.
Now it does not make any sense to throw in such an amount of money, when you can sell your Bolero and buy a new one instead, with about as much money getting involved.
Ofcourse, you can make things a lot cheaper by buying 2nd hand stuff, but i got no idea on the prices.

As for the central diff-lock. This diff-lock in only necessary in vehicles that have a permanent 4x4 system(like the hummer or the land-rover). They have a differential inside the transfer-case,to adjust rpm's between the front and rear axles, and this has to be locked while off-roading.
In a part-time transfercase, as used in most vehicles in India, there is no central differential, both the front and the rear output is at the same rpm's, so theres no question of locking anything.
Hope it helps,
Bikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyobeb (Post 1249125)
Does not seem really worth it, eh?

I agree. I think it is better to sell and pay up the difference for a 4WD version. It will cost you more, but you end up with a new reliable vehicle. Converting a Bolero from 2WD to 4WD is a lot more complex than converting a CJ/MM series to 4WD since the only changes you need to make is to add the T-case and front diff. No major suspension changes involved. Secondly these 4Speed gearboxes with T-case are more readily available.

sell your current bolero and you will get a good price as the general elections are round the corner and diesel vehicles are IN demand!

buy a new 4x4 bolero and spare yourself the headaches of conversion!

I guess so. Or order a Scorpio with 4x4, preferably the AT scorpio but I am not sure whether Scorpio AT comes with the 4x4 option, if nor I can go to the MT 4x4 option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertfox (Post 1249159)
I guess so. Or order a Scorpio with 4x4, preferably the AT scorpio but I am not sure whether Scorpio AT comes with the 4x4 option, if nor I can go to the MT 4x4 option.

Stick to bolero 4x4 and not the scoprio 4x4. bolero is more rugged and easy on the pocket compared to the sissy scorpio!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parm (Post 1249161)
Stick to bolero 4x4 and not the scoprio 4x4. bolero is more rugged and easy on the pocket compared to the sissy scorpio!

What exactly are the pitfalls of a scorpio 4x4 ?

In the Bolero I rather find it uncomfortable and tiring to sit on the first passenger seat. Not so much when i am driving it myself on highway runs.

I dont like the passenger seat experience of by brothers Scorpio as well.

Is the Bolero roomier than the scorpio ( cabin ) ?

If I sit on the rear seat ( middle seat ) aided with a couple of cusions and my feet up I am able to travel in comfort in my Bolero on highway runs which is quite frequent.

Once I travelled ( within Delhi ) on the Guard seat as well to extend protocol to seniors and elders but found the experience quite horrific.

Scorpio 4x4 is a good vehicle. The overhangs are short and its nice for offroading.
Roshun is a frequent NIOC offroad meet attender, so you can probably come for a ride with him and see scorpio in action yourself.
Comfort wise the scorpio will always beat the bolero

A Bolero can go place your scorpio would'nt even get to see, thats the Difference i feel. Its both lighter, and the right balance front and rear as far as off-roading in concerned.

The Scorpio has an independent front end, even with the 4x4, and the heavier weight makes things a little more complex for it, even though its got a powerful engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1249199)
Scorpio 4x4 is a good vehicle. The overhangs are short and its nice for offroading.
Roshun is a frequent NIOC offroad meet attender, so you can probably come for a ride with him and see scorpio in action yourself.
Comfort wise the scorpio will always beat the bolero

I agree with this assessment. I think the Scropio will handle pretty much anything the Bolero can handle. With the new pricing, I think the Scorpio is a better bet. The XD3P engine that comes with the 4WD bolero is quite underpowered. If the scorpio CRDe was offered in 4WD, I would have considered it, but with the older engines, it is not worth it in my opinion. In this age of 100+ bhp vehilces, why buy a brand new vehicle with only 68 bhp?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1249368)
In this age of 100+ bhp vehilces, why buy a brand new vehicle with only 68 bhp?

This is exactly in my mind too. Even with 68 bhp Bolero is a well equipped vehicle for off road bashing. Parts are considerably cheaper that may come under constant hit while off road. further with live axles it is better off road.

But the problem is in realistic use conditions we use 70-30% highway and off road combination. A powerful and agile vehicle lke scorpio makes sence then. We ignore the 70% aspect of our useage and later remain unhappy with the vehicle that is not meant for ON-Road comfort and cruising.

CJ series vehicles are essentially farm, mining, forest etc....vehicles. They are never meant for high speed on road duty. Many of us in the forum have opted for silent and powerful diesels for fulfill our latent desire for better on road cruising without compromising off road capability.

My question is will some one buy a 40 bhp jeep in this age even if it has good offroad ability? I think the right mix is the essence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1249604)
My question is will some one buy a 40 bhp jeep in this age even if it has good offroad ability? I think the right mix is the essence.

I would. Important is right price and good offroad ability.

You take off AC, PS, proper seats, carpets(lol), hard top, doors and plonk in a 40 bhp engine and expect to sell it at 5-6 lakhs no one is buying one.

Price it in small car price range and we have a market.

hi desertfox

i suggest that you order new bolero 4x4 or invader 4x4 ,
wait till your vehicle comes & then sell your bolero .:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1249622)
I would. Important is right price and good offroad ability.

You take off AC, PS, proper seats, carpets(lol), hard top, doors and plonk in a 40 bhp engine and expect to sell it at 5-6 lakhs no one is buying one.

Price it in small car price range and we have a market.

Spit fire,
You are right.
What i was trying to put across was even with A/C, PS proper seats carpets hardtop etc if a 40 hp engine is sold at competitive price say 4 lakhs there will be few takers as On road cruising is as important as off road manners. Especially with new vehicles and especially if it is the only 4x4 at home an underpowered vehicle with core competancy in one area (off road capability in this case) will not sell. It has to be an all rounder.