Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 22:51   #16
HKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

This is probably the biggest feature that determines axle strength factors. Quite obviously, the bigger the ring, the more strength factor it has has. but another thing to note is the thinchness of both the teeth surface and the overall thickness of the ring itself.
It isn't just the size and thickness, its even the angle of helix of the meshing teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post

Semi-floating Vs full-floating
There is something called as three-quarter axle, which is a compromise between semi and full floating.

Semi floating axle takes up bending and torsion stresses, full floating takes up only bending.

In Semi floating, the entire weight of vehicle is taken by the axle shaft, in full its taken by the axle housing and in three-quarter 75% of the weight is taken by axle housing and the remaining by axle shaft.

As the entire weight in semi floating is taken by the axle shaft and it undergoes torsion and bending. The shaft is thinner near the differential and thicker at its ends to take up bending.

PS: I';'m a layman when it comes to off-roading. Never tried it, but will love to, if you'll teach me. And I will share my little Automotive knowledge with all.
Old 25th March 2010, 18:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Thread, Brutus and others. Do post more details on the internal diff lock mechanisms with pictures if possible.
Old 27th March 2010, 06:19   #18
BHPian

Yup. Brutus saab where art thou'?
Old 2nd January 2011, 15:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Axle debate

I would like to classify and categorize the following three differential ratios in this way below:

(Please read the following information 47/11 - 4/27:1 as ring gear 47 and pinion gear 11 resulting 4.27:1 gearing ratio)

47/11 - 4.27:1 - Super Cruiser
44/9 - 4.88:1 - Moderate Off and On road
43/8 - 5.38 - Super Offroader

If you have heard DB sir saying about his CL340, which had 5.38 ratio, he always remembers the best off road ability it had.

Having done 47,000kms on road with my Classic, I can say with 4.88:1 I could easily maintain 80kmph on the road.

4.27:1 is what something we couldn't try out in Peugeot powered SWB because it will convert the Jeep as a car and loose all it's off road characteristics. Now going back to my XD3P powered classic experience, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the XD3P engine with 4.88:1 ratio as equaling to the same performance of 43/8 – 5.38:1 with XDP4.99 engine. The reason is simple with the XD3P my classic had 76BHP where the XDP4.99 has only 62BHP. So the additional 14BHP is a sure compensator for the gear ratio power loss with 4:88:1 compare to 5.38:1

It is what my idea for going for the OD, so I wouldn’t need to work on my differential ring and pinion swap. However having the OD getting into trouble and unavailability of brand new XD3P motor I’m putting myself into a situation to live with original XDP engine with 4.88:1 ratio. I’m sure this is not a road block most of the OTRs I participated I did my trials with this combination and after few trial and errors I could successfully complete the obstacles as well.
So my suggestion (cost effective) for all those who look for best off and on road capable SWB would be the following XD3P engine with 4.27:1 ratio and KMT-90 gearbox so one can easily cruise on the road and do moderate performance on the offroad as the original Mahindra Classic does with its current setup.

I’m not suggesting the OD here to avoid the cost, parts and service availability of such specialty products vs. easy availability and simplicity of the suggestion above.
I would request the Jeep gurus to post their opinion on this aspect. I strongly believe the combination suggested will provide better jeep. If any one wanted a Super most offroader they can think of XD3P with 5.38:1 and Super offroader of 4.88:1 with XD3P while there is no much changes on the chassis expect adding a new bell housing and air filter relocation in fewer models of the SWB jeeps.

Last edited by trammway : 2nd January 2011 at 15:15.
Old 18th January 2011, 18:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Axle debate

Guys,

What is the length of Individual hyboid type front axles (LH/RH) in MM540 and CJ340 ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks