Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 16:47   #1
BHPian

Manual Locking Solutions For Dana-44

Hello All,

I tried my level best to find a solution for Manual Locking solution for Dana 44, 19 Spline. Apparently, ARB used to make one kit for this setup but discontinued later. If you look at the Diff lock Mechanism, it’s very simple. attaching a picture here (Source Answers to your 4 wheel drive questions by Harald Pietschmann.) this is a Unimog Diff lock model

Manual Locking Solutions For Dana-44-unimog_diff_lock.jpg

In this case, the dog clutch does the job of locking the axels. There are lots of other technologies also (Thanks Brutus). By looking at the working principle of this, I do not think it’s a complicated Job to make one, provided it’s engineered properly. There is another locking mechanism, where your long/short axle shaft will lock together by sliding in the spines properly (Only applicable in FFRA). I came across this nice DIY diff lock and I must say, it will serve the purpose, but we should develop a better way for actuating the lock.

Vern-O-Lock

Somehow, I am not convinced in automated solutions, a diff lock is far better than LSD or Locker any day. And you have a better on road manners also. Pour in your ideas...

Thanks
Sreeraj
Old 30th April 2009, 22:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

thanks bro
this is very important information for us jeep/mm 540/550 lovers.
Old 1st May 2009, 00:14   #3
BHPian

the narrower the section you chose to lock the gears, the weaker it is. This applies in the case of the mcnamara type used in the home-made version. ARB and OX as alos the pin type use the widest sections available to loack, and that is the outer side of the side gears, but that, even though a lot tougher than the Mcnamara type, are still weaker than the Unimog type in the above picture(or other military type, Infact even the Gurkha uses the same one as the Unimog type). Even though here its the axle spline that hold the sleeve, but those splines are thicker and larger dia. splines than inside the side gears. Their only problem is that the axle tube loses strength since it is cut to hold the locking sleeve sliding mechanism.
I'am sorry if it went overhead for some, but i'am still trying to make a lay-mans language article on the matter.
Old 9th May 2009, 09:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
And you have a better on road manners also.
Seeraj,

Could you elaborate on the above quote. How would a diff lock improve on road manners.

Like you I too am a believer in manually actuated diff locks as opposed to LSD or automatic lockers. IMO a nicely engineered solution can work but would request you to consider some commercially available kits for customization to meet your requirements. That way you can capitalise on the quality of engineering of the commercial kit, just my thoughts.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushagr View Post
Seeraj,

Could you elaborate on the above quote. How would a diff lock improve on road manners.

Like you I too am a believer in manually actuated diff locks as opposed to LSD or automatic lockers. IMO a nicely engineered solution can work but would request you to consider some commercially available kits for customization to meet your requirements. That way you can capitalise on the quality of engineering of the commercial kit, just my thoughts.
Hi Kushagr,

A manual diff lock will work like an open differential when not engaged. Hence better road manners as opposed to automatic solutions. As far as you second question is concerned, there is no "Off the Shelf" diff lock solution for DANA-44 19 spline axels.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 19th May 2009, 07:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried the manual diff locks? Mr. Sreeraj?

Most Viewed