Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 17:11   #16
BANNED

It might look like those truck chassis + engine combos that are driven by dacoits on the highway.
Old 6th May 2009, 17:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Buying a Xenon as base point would reduce some chopping job IMHO alternatively if you are happy with closed dual cab use Xenon and modify grills / bumper to give Jeepis'h look.
Old 6th May 2009, 17:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
and then just chop off the top (roof) remove the back seat area Top half. Chop off the rear door too in half (remove the glass potion - the wheel is mounted on the base portion) and reduce the overall hight of the Safari to the minimum - this is adjustable incase of safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
.... Man, I am trying to visualize a Safari with above mods. Am not able to.

Help please.
May look like this :

Safari Engine in MM550/540-safari_silver1-copy.jpg

or this :

Safari Engine in MM550/540-safari_silver1-copy2.jpg
Old 6th May 2009, 17:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
May look like this :

Attachment 133081
Exactly this is what they sell as Xenon ( first pic) only bumper and grill is different
Old 7th May 2009, 08:00   #20
BHPian

OMG!

I cannot imagine doing that to a safari TCIC or 2.2. I would rather not have a safari engine in a mahindra body.
Old 11th May 2009, 12:28   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
It might look like those truck chassis + engine combos that are driven by dacoits on the highway.
That's exactly the Idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Exactly this is what they sell as Xenon ( first pic) only bumper and grill is different
Plus the Xenon has a bigger open load bay and a smaller uncomfortable cabin.

So doing these crimes to a Safari may well be worth it.

Actually did see a modified Safari on the road once about 3 years back that had these changes done and kind of looked like a Hummer H3.

Atleast the suggestions in gest has got the creative juices flowing.
Old 16th May 2009, 02:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

You could also paint it pink, put wings on it and send it to the planet Pluto. Then there would be one more flying pink pig on Pluto where there is a shortage of same.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 16th May 2009 at 02:07.
Old 16th May 2009, 12:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

H1N1 alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You could also paint it pink, put wings on it and send it to the planet Pluto...

Easier said than done : nowadays, there are stricter immigration checks on pink pigs landing at Pluto, thanks to the Swine Flu.
Old 21st May 2009, 06:47   #24
BHPian

the ecm phobia

So..
we are concluding that there are no mechs. capable of doing transplant of the co called "new gen chipped engines"?

does any one differ?
If yes please quote the w/s in south India capable of doing this.
because I am looking for a mech. capable of doing the same.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:48   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I strongly believe that all these kinds of mods on vehicles, can and probably will result in serious structural failure.
Not recommended at all, in my humble opinion.

Plus - there remains the question of whether or not, after these kinds of mods, the vehicle will continue to remain "road legal" and "insurable".

I suggest that before you embark on such projects, that you check on a few of these aspects first, or you could end up considerably out of pocket with nothing worthwhile to show for it other than a "pipe-dream".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Neither Safari 2.2L 140 Bhp engine nor Scorpio 2.2L 120 Bhp engiine would be suitable, the electronics etc that need to be worked on are too complicated.

The Safari TCIC 90 Bhp engine is a good posibility but fitment in the engine bay will most likely be an issue and require significant modication.

Even plonking a 2.2 ltr Safari engine in an older safari itself, require a lot of electronics to be take care of so placing it in an older Mahindra will be quite hard and not worth the effort.

What I would suggest is to do the opp, since the objective is to get a nice little macho open top Jeep look alike, Buy a second hand 2 Ltr. 90 Bhp TCIC safari for just about 1.5-2L or a 2.2Ltr VTT LX early model for about 5.5L and then just chop off the top (roof) remove the back seat area Top half. Chop off the rear door too in half (remove the glass potion - the wheel is mounted on the base portion) and reduce the overall hight of the Safari to the minimum - this is adjustable incase of safari.

That would get you closer to the Jeep dream and the reduced Wt. safari with all the chopped off bits would be quite responsive even in 90 Bhp version. You could also get a Soft rool made for the rear. and could also do away with the side view mirrors and place some large chrome one on the sides. (Though the current ones are good by themselves.)

You could also weld on hold bars/ anti roll bars in the rear portion.

That would make for a nice vehicle, the only thing missing may be the Jeep Grill. But they you may find a way out for that as well.
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:34   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
So..
we are concluding that there are no mechs. capable of doing transplant of the co called "new gen chipped engines"?

does any one differ?
If yes please quote the w/s in south India capable of doing this.
because I am looking for a mech. capable of doing the same.
Good mechs can do a transplant of an ECU engine but if the engine develops issues you need someone with a computer and the right software to diagnose it. Generally not a situation you want to be when you are off-roading.
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Actually, I like the idea of chopping the Safari. Any Donor vehicles please?
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Actually, I like the idea of chopping the Safari. Any Donor vehicles please?
OMG
A safari getaway? OR
Are you planning to so the same thing that you have done to your Gypsy? chopping off its......
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
OMG
A safari getaway? OR
Are you planning to so the same thing that you have done to your Gypsy? chopping off its......
Can you imagine the wild idea of removing all doors [read 15 kgs x 5] of the safari, remove rear seats [another 30 kgs]

Then one can further fix an FRP kinda mudgaurd a.l.a the Nissan Xtrail.

The FE as well as power will Improve dramatically!!

I do get carried away, but alas, where is my Donor Safari?
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:54   #30
BANNED

( Jat devta ki jai),I personally think it would and could and should be an amazing project. Also since you are planning on making a powerful jeep not a land speed record vehicle,you would want to convert all that power into torque not top speed,as such jeeps are never good handler at high speed,even the parent vehicle(safari ) is not a civic at speeds above 100.is it? and forget about the chassis not being strong enough,if it can do 70kmph with 800kg of rice loaded,additional 70-80 kg weight should not be a problem.even if it does turn out to be problamitic,chassis can always be strenthened at required places after trial runs.even if the suspension needs some added meat that could be added later aswel.
If you really want to take a plunge ,first thing should be doing is,you should concentrate on mechanical design of such conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Aha! thanks 4X4 I understand what is going on here?

And judging from the response from others I am inclining towards the fact that Safari engine and MM540s dont go together well.

well if no one has tried this one before it would not be right to say that safari motor and 540 does not go well together,also if someone has already failed after trying or has messed up his project,does not mean you cannot do better,even if the flunk er was enzo ferrari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Not to mention that the ECU of the Safari engine is programmed to work with Safari parameters, e.g. Safari gearing, pedal position, speedometer etc. Swapping engines is hard. Swapping modern engines with their ECUs programmed for the vehicle from which they came makes it an extremely daunting task.

The idea of a MM540 and a Tata diesel, sans ECU, has merit. You could also add a divorced transfer case from Force to ease the drive train matchups. Proceeding thus you could use a Tata clutch and tranny.

safari parameters does not mean that parameters work after they have a look at the chassis or body work,using similar exaust and intake should by and large solve a number of problems.also vehicles without traction control,i dont really recall that ecu has anything to do with gearing,apart from monitoring gear oil temp in some vehicles.i guess even speedometer does not give any input to ecm. throttle positioning is done through position of air intake butterfly not the pedal inside cabin(asfar as i know),otherwise u can always use same safari pedal for it. these all are problems ,i agree but nothing that cannot be dealt with. and trust me you would get better ideas to work around the problems only after you have taken the plunge,because then your hard earned money will be at stake,let alone your time.
Its much better to have tried and failed,then to never try!
If i were you ,i would be dreaming that monster puller day n night.
with all that power converted to torque,it would pull a running rajdhani in opposite direction.

ok enough BC,
mmm i guess ,major work that you will have to do is make space in your chassis,make engine mounts.Even if your engine is too big,let it come out of the hood,it looks cooler,and stays cooler
dont forget to buy the 2.2l engine with all its wireharness and sensor attachments and couplers,otherwise its like a spiders web,and finding which wire is actually which wire becomes unnessasarly a big task,
you can use safari gearbox ,or even jeeps standard 4x4 gearbox,just keep in mind the torque you are transmitting,i dont know whats the standard torque of 540,if the new motor is increasing more that 40% of original one,you should change the gearbox to safari one too,infact i would recomend it.GearBox are generally designed with Fos of 1.5, and shockload of 80%

you would have to make a couple of custom made components like drive shaft (altered for length),shifting lever and mech etc,all that later.

ok ,electronics ,they are not as menacing as we think they are,infact once you get them working fine,they will turn out to be trouble free for years,just that making them work is first thing. i would suggest some dough to either a known good mechanic(electronics) or you can take help from tata's feild rework mechanic(usually they come only at customer complaints which dealers are not able to adress,contact nearest dealer,ask for there scheduled visit or othervise and some dough should do the trick.

infact if you have complete wireharness,regular mechanic should get the sensors working in couple of hours,then do the routing.

i dont remember what all points i have adressed what i have forgot,you can all ask,

i am in same boat as you are jat bhai,i m using a crdi diesel on bike,and these days struck with engine mounts,i have a reliable guy (engineer) to help me with electronics.

by the way have you asked howmuch 2.2l is costing ??
keep me informed as i am also into buying used motors and using them in some fancy project,however diesel is my first.

project like this are very simple if you do three things right.
1. follow your heart,and let your brain be tested!
2. dont listen to what others say!
3. complete the project!

Your project should be a cakewalk if you can do these 3 things and still be sane!
GooDLUCK
And i remember someone saying that Ecu will have problem with water/rain in jeep.
all vehicles come with water proof ECU,also if you allow water to climb upto the level where ECU is mounted,your engine would have already given up before that level by sucking water through various inlets.
you better concentrate on designing a Submarine not jeeps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks