Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 17:29   #1
BHPian

Bolero 4x4 - ECM Problem

hi friends,
i seem to have shot the ECM on the Borgs Warner 4WD system of my bolero. i need hellp on the same, i wanna know whether it can be repaired or replaced, if so i would appreciate someone guiding me on the same. regards
Old 15th May 2009, 18:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ouch, that's just one reason why I prefer the good ol' 4x4 lever instead of a fancy switch. Get in touch with Behram : I'm sure he will come up with a workable solution.
Old 15th May 2009, 18:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hi friends,
i seem to have shot the ECM on the Borgs Warner 4WD system of my bolero. i need hellp on the same, i wanna know whether it can be repaired or replaced, if so i would appreciate someone guiding me on the same. regards
Are you sure? What are your symptoms?
Old 15th May 2009, 20:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
hi friends,
Hi,

Can you explain what exactly the symptoms are? It may not be the ECU. There are a bunch of other sensors and electric components like the Shift motor. It could be one of the other components. The reason I am suggesting this is that another member had an issue with the 4WD Safari which uses the same BW Electric t-case and the reason was the motor that engages the 4WD needed to be cleaned out and repaired as some of the electrical contacts where bad.

There may also be other sensors that provide input to the ECU that are not working.

Can you please explain the symptoms and you can rule out other.

Let me suggest the following steps to diagnose the issue:

1. Ask the dealer to show you the wiring diagram.

1. Bypass the whole ECU/sensor circuit and provide power directly to the shift motor to see if your transfer case engages and disengages properly. This will rule out an issues with the mechanical/electrical components that engage and disengage 4WD.

2. Start bypassing each of the sensors and see if the 4WD engages. This will rule out damaged Sensors. If the sensors are bypassed and 4WD does not engage it is probably an issue with the ECU.

Since many dealer techs don't have experience with 4WD systems, I guess they see the 4WD light blinking and assume that it is a problem with the ECU. I would also suggest trying to escalate to Mahindra and getting the factory tech recommend diagnostic procedures before you go through mine :-).
Old 15th May 2009, 21:14   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

suggest straightaway PM Mr Behram Dhabhar who is our resident Jeep King - he will certainly help you to sort the issue out.
Old 16th May 2009, 10:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

4wd ECM pain

Quote:
hi friends,
Hello WhiteMM550,
This is a bad news. If the ECM is really gone then it could cost you anywhere between 36 to 40,000. Correct me Dhabar sir, as i had a similar case in AML hyderabad.

As 4x4 addict suggested please take it to authorised service center and get the problem resolved. In my knowledge there is some blink code which will suggest the problem.

Go to M&M A.S.S check with them. Over to dhabar sir...

Also can we convert the electric system to manual one??

With regards

Vinod
Old 16th May 2009, 17:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

BA10 with Mechanical Transfer Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Also can we convert the electric system to manual one??
It is possible. jyoeb has converted his BA10 to a manual transfer case. If the ECU is shot the cost maybe comparable and I think it is much better to convert to a manual t-case.

I am attaching two pictures from jyoebs thread that shows the BA10 with the Electric and Mechanical T-case. Fist picture is the Electric t-case and second the mechanical.
Attached Thumbnails
Bolero 4x4 - ECM Problem-ba10_electricaltcase.jpg  

Bolero 4x4 - ECM Problem-ba10_mechanicalcase.jpg  

Old 16th May 2009, 19:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi,

Can you explain what exactly the symptoms are? It may not be the ECU. There are a bunch of other sensors and electric components like the Shift motor. It could be one of the other components. The reason I am suggesting this is that another member had an issue with the 4WD Safari which uses the same BW Electric t-case and the reason was the motor that engages the 4WD needed to be cleaned out and repaired as some of the electrical contacts where bad.

There may also be other sensors that provide input to the ECU that are not working.

Can you please explain the symptoms and you can rule out other.

Let me suggest the following steps to diagnose the issue:

1. Ask the dealer to show you the wiring diagram.

1. Bypass the whole ECU/sensor circuit and provide power directly to the shift motor to see if your transfer case engages and disengages properly. This will rule out an issues with the mechanical/electrical components that engage and disengage 4WD.

2. Start bypassing each of the sensors and see if the 4WD engages. This will rule out damaged Sensors. If the sensors are bypassed and 4WD does not engage it is probably an issue with the ECU.

Since many dealer techs don't have experience with 4WD systems, I guess they see the 4WD light blinking and assume that it is a problem with the ECU. I would also suggest trying to escalate to Mahindra and getting the factory tech recommend diagnostic procedures before you go through mine :-).
the symptoms are simple, the 4L refuses to engage, and the 4H and 4L lights both keep comming ON all the time
u know guys. i did give it to the local dealer. he kept my vehicle for a cool 3 days and then he told me that the moter is shot, and that there was emery in the transfer case. he asked me to replace both, saying that lets experiment, but experiment at that cost, he wasnt guaranteeing any result, so i went to my trusted local mech who specializes in 4wd, he opened the system and told me that i swear by me experience this unit was never opened by any one, that means the loacl dealer took me for a ride on 'efforts to repair' the syatem.
we poened the moter and saw that the moter works fine, the transfer case too works pretty fine, we finally zeroed on to the ECM, which when by passed, makes the system work fine.
now i have 3 options
1. sell my Bolero
2. find a lternate system without altering the Electric system
3. Go Manual

guys please Help
Old 16th May 2009, 19:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now i have 3 options
1. sell my Bolero
3. Go Manual

guys please Help
Man you want to sell it for the above reason .
Either you dont love your jeep or you have lots of money .
Old 16th May 2009, 19:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the transfer case too works pretty fine, we finally zeroed on to the ECM, which when by passed, makes the system work fine.
now i have 3 options
1. sell my Bolero
3. Go Manual

guys please Help
Let me suggest a few options.

1. If the motor is working fine, that's pretty much all you need to engage and disengage 4WD. The ECU is pretty much to sense that you are in neutral/stopped etc so you don't damage the 4WD when you engage 4WD. It probably checks that you are not over the speed limit when you shift on the fly and you are in neutral and stopped before you shift to 4Low. Technically it is possible to bypass the whole ECU route and have the switch send the electrical signals directly to the motor to engage/disengage 4WD and to shift to 4Low. A competent auto electrician can do this for you. You just have to be careful when you shift to 4H and 4L, cause there is no electronic angel watching over you :-)

2. jyoyeb has a contact who has Bolero 4WD gearbox for sale from a Bolero that did only about 50K miles. He bought the front diffs from his contact to do the OKBJ conversion. He also picked up the Power Steering assembly of this vehicle for me. We can check to see what price jyob's contact will sell the 4WD gearbox with t-case in exchange for your or even just the t-case.

3. source the mechanical transfer case for BA10. since this gearbox has been out of circulation for a while this maybe hard to do.
Old 16th May 2009, 20:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Man you want to sell it for the above reason .
Either you dont love your jeep or you have lots of money .
if you are a true jeeper then you will understand how painful it is to be stuck with a jeep which has no 4wd L
and in my opinion for true jeepers money never mattered
Old 16th May 2009, 21:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

There are errror codes that will let you know if there is a problem with the ecm. This is found by the way a test bulb flashes when connected to the ecm directly. Your dealer may not know, so check with the Mahindra tech people. If your 4H works, then the problem may be with the safety switch found under the clutch pedal. This does not allow you to shift into 4L unless the clutch is engaged. First however, I hope you know that 4L can be engaged only with the clutch engaged?
If nothing works you could also source a Safari 4X4 ecm from my contact in Chennai for about 6K.

Last edited by jyobeb : 16th May 2009 at 21:12.
Old 16th May 2009, 21:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
If nothing works you could also source a Safari 4X4 ecm from my contact in Chennai for about 6K.
Sir, how will the Safari 4x4 ECM work in a bolero? Even assuming that the checks are similar. They are two very different engines with different characteristics..
Old 16th May 2009, 22:41   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, how will the Safari 4x4 ECM work in a bolero? Even assuming that the checks are similar. They are two very different engines with different characteristics..
They both use the same Borg Warner Electric Transfer case.
Old 17th May 2009, 00:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I should have clarified I was talking about the Borg Warner transfer case ECM. Both use the same setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks