Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 13:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)

I was looking to fit AC in my MM550 and was looking at the options available.

I got my cousin to ask a local mechanic and he said the condenser is usually fitted by the front bumper so it is visible and that it hangs down a bit so the front inclination angle is reduced. I would rather conceal behind the grill. The mechanic said if it is fitted in the grill area the jeep will overheat. Has anyone had AC fitted who can share a few pictures of the fitting and what they did to avoid overheating issues.

I found a thread on AC for Gypsy but not one for jeeps hence starting this thread.

Thanks.
Old 24th May 2009, 20:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Satnam,
I had the same through looming at the back of my mind. But I was planning this mod for next year, you see I crossed my budget of 4L long back, so these thing will have to wait.

But I will definitely do it next year and maybe just for the front compartment only. This way I think the kaircon will be much more effective. GTO has done it in his CLASSIC, maybe you should have a look at his thread.
I have seen/heard people mount the condenser between the chassis somewhere around and above the rear differential. I might be wrong but I think ankit, goslow on teambhp has done it this way on his gypsy.
Old 24th May 2009, 21:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have the condensor in front of my grill but I have the extra cooling fan in front of the condensor so no over heating issues.
Old 24th May 2009, 22:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your replies.

4x4addict,

Please can you post a few pictures the condenser, compressor and extra cooling fan. Also can you give an indication of the parts you used and approximate cost. Did you install a larger radiator as well ?

Harjeev,

Yes I only want the front done as well. I phoned my cousin the other day to ask if he had been starting the engine. He said he starts the engine but it is too hot to drive. Can't blame him really, I remember in the early 90's when we used to drive a M800 around in June/July with no AC. It used to be like a sauna especially with those vinyl type seat covers. So I asked him to find out how much it would cost to fit and how they would fit. The guy said R15,000 inluding parts and fitting. I think he said they used parts from Ambassador or Cielo. the only thing that put me off was he said they fit the condenser to the front bumper (just behind it).
Old 24th May 2009, 22:23   #5
BHPian

Why do no you go for a brand new unit of Bolero which will heardly cost you somewhere between 22K to 24K. 15K for a used one is too much. If he is offering you within 10K with the set up and one year gurantee only than you should opt it.
Old 24th May 2009, 22:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

DesertKing,

Have you got a Bolero unit fitted in yours ?

Where will I get a new Bolero unit from ? When we were getting the MM550 restored my dad visited the local Mahindra dealer to order some bits and pieces. The guy said they could get no spares for XD3P engine. Will they be able to order all of a Bolero AC unit ? So that would be 24K for the condenser, compressor and blower unit ?

The 15K includes a 1 year guarantee for what it is worth.
Old 25th May 2009, 08:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Why do no you go for a brand new unit of Bolero which will heardly cost you somewhere between 22K to 24K. 15K for a used one is too much. If he is offering you within 10K with the set up and one year gurantee only than you should opt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
DesertKing,

Where will I get a new Bolero unit from ? When we were getting the MM550 restored my dad visited the local Mahindra dealer to order some bits and pieces. The guy said they could get no spares for XD3P engine. Will they be able to order all of a Bolero AC unit ? So that would be 24K for the condenser, compressor and blower unit ?

The 15K includes a 1 year guarantee for what it is worth.
I had asked my mechanic for fitting an Ac in my 550 and he told me that someone in Mayapuri does that for around 10k and maybe gives a year warranty.
Satnam if you are interested I can find out more details whenever I visit the place next.
Old 25th May 2009, 10:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
DesertKing,

Hi Bigman, infect I buy a set of deshboard and the ac from a Armada grand (XD3P engine). Since I shorten the front grill of my Jeep, it was not possible to fit the condenser of Armada Grand.

Now I am searching for a right condenser which can be accomodated in the grill, perhaps the Ambessder condenser will work.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I had asked my mechanic for fitting an Ac in my 550 and he told me that someone in Mayapuri does that for around 10k and maybe gives a year warranty.
Satnam if you are interested I can find out more details whenever I visit the place next.
Yes please, next time you are there please ask how he fits and hides it etc.

Desertking,

Which condenser did you fit then ? and where ?
Old 25th May 2009, 13:35   #10
BHPian

This should be interesting, I will keep a close watch on this. I have been doing some research on this too and I guess the pain points are -

1.> Which compressor(make/capacity) to use?
2.> Which condenser to use?
3.> Which blower to use? (Std vs HVAC)
4.> Be ethical and use the new R-134a refrigerant and incur additional costs? (in terms of condenser/evaporator size)?
5.> Placement of the condenser? (front of radiator/between chassis/etc)
6.> Cooling of the condenser? (Dedicated electric fan or common engine fan or additional electric fan)
7.> Additional cooling on engine on idle? (bigger radiator or electric fan in front of radiator)
8.> Increasing engine idle speed to support AC during stop-and-go traffic?
9.> Professional installation to ensure no gas leaks from the piping.
10.> Good insulation for driver or entire cabin space.
11.> Effects on power/torque/pick-up when AC is running if final drive ratio is 4.27 (or even 4.88 for that matter)

Other than the above points, I'm hoping that its fairly easy to place the other components (blower/evaporator/valves/ relays etc)

I guess if anyone can address these questions(backed by a year + of reliable usage), we can have a standard solution to the issue for everyone's benefit. Photos will be greatly appreciated.
Old 25th May 2009, 13:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Here is how mine is fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-ac-condenser.jpg  

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-ac-compressor-sd508.jpg  

Old 25th May 2009, 14:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Jyobeb,

Thanks for those pictures, please can you provide more information in line with what Terrainsnooper has posted. Also have you used a stock radiator with addition of an electric fan for cooling or put in a larger radiator ?
Old 25th May 2009, 14:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Here is how mine is fitted.
Jyobeb, It seems that AC fitting work is going on.

In the first picture, we can see the welding spot on the front grill, I guess the small Patti is welded to bolt down the electrical fan.

In the second picture, I also noticed that the C section is cut in half round (just around the steering rod). This seems to be a modification to fit the power steering. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by DesertKing : 25th May 2009 at 14:32.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Get 4x4Addict to pitch in this thread.

507 Sandem compressor with the Unicla / Superking blower set up is what I hear is best for the MM 540.
Old 25th May 2009, 20:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Without doubt, you'll need an upsized radiator.
One core should be good.
Check thermostat and watch the gauges while driving.
PS: I think you know this already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks