Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 20:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Jyobeb, It seems that AC fitting work is going on.
Yup!
In the first picture, we can see the welding spot on the front grill, I guess the small Patti is welded to bolt down the electrical fan.
Right again. I am fitting an external fan since there in no space inside the grill.

In the second picture, I also noticed that the C section is cut in half round (just around the steering rod). This seems to be a modification to fit the power steering. Correct me if I am wrong.
I have already fitted the original Bolero power steering assembly. Pictures are in "MY MM550" thread
The ac is pretty straightforward.
All brackets are from the Bolero, and the compressor sanden 507 and 508 are both perfect fits. I used a 508 as I will also fit a roof blower.
The condenser is fixed between the grill and the radiator and the addition of a cooling condenser fan (one which pushes air past the condenser & radiator) is essential.
The blower is a Unicla for which you will need to modify your dashboard.
If you fit the blower below your dashboard it will hamper your gear shift and 4wd lever movement.
Attached Thumbnails
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-unfinished-mm550-dash-board.jpg  

Last edited by jyobeb : 25th May 2009 at 20:33.
Old 25th May 2009, 20:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The condenser is fixed between the grill and the radiator and the addition of a cooling condenser fan (one which pushes air past the condenser & radiator) is essential.
I would strongly advise you to fix the condenser below the radiator at an angle rather than the easy way of mounting it in front of the radiator and spoil the airflow.
This way you will have zero heat issues.
Old 25th May 2009, 21:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Actually there is still a 1.75" gap between the radiator and condenser and only about 75% of the radiator is covered by the condenser. (sufficient as per ac norms). I also have a heavy duty radiator fan from the Scorpio.
Old 25th May 2009, 21:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Then, we'll have to run it and see how it fares in operating conditions.
Hope we can expect it at the Palar Challenge.
Old 26th May 2009, 07:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I would strongly advise you to fix the condenser below the radiator at an angle rather than the easy way of mounting it in front of the radiator and spoil the airflow.
This way you will have zero heat issues.
Nitrous, I have my doubt that if we will fit the condenser below the rediator, there are huge chances that the condenser will be broken in off roading by hitting something.

If my doubts are wrong, than off course you have a suggested a best way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
The ac is pretty straightforward.
All brackets are from the Bolero, and the compressor sanden 507 and 508 are both perfect fits. I used a 508 as I will also fit a roof blower.
The blower is a Unicla for which you will need to modify your dashboard.
If you fit the blower below your dashboard it will hamper your gear shift and 4wd lever movement.
Hey Jyobeb, need your help brother. Pls let me know that the condenser is of which model and of which vehicle. Also can you please check with your AC guy that how much a new condensor cost. Thank you.

Last edited by DesertKing : 26th May 2009 at 07:47.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:49   #21
BHPian

Jyobeb - 2 questions:
What is the final drive ratio that you are planning to use? (With the TCIC setup?)
What refrigerant are you filling in the AC?

By the way, I forgot to add - One needs to add a additional pulley on the shaft with a separate belt to run the compressor.(as seen in Jyobeb's pics.)

Can someone also throw some light on the thermoclutch unit that needs to go in to trigger on/off the compressor? Or does the compressor run continuously as long as the AC switch is pushed in?

In all probability, I will not go in for an AC, looking at the complications involved, but I find the concept intriguing. Luckily for our friends abroad, there are bolt-on kits available, though they'll still need professional help in doing the installation.
Old 26th May 2009, 23:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am using the same 4.88 ratio with my 235/85R16 radials which are about 32" tall.
The Bolero AC kits are all bolt on except for the condenser, for which one needs to do some cutting and fitting of brackets.
I may have forgotten to add that my classmate own one of the biggest auto parts store in Madurai and I have a free run of his shop.
The condenser is a universal type which was old non-moving stock. Picked it up for Rs900/-. It is very wide with two rows of cooling fins.
Old 27th May 2009, 12:43   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I was looking to fit AC in my MM550 and was looking at the options available.
You MUST. With the way that our summers are, I can't even imagine driving around without an air-con, and feel sorry for all the Jeepers out there sweating it out!

Facts on my air-con installation:

1. Originally installed in the year 2003.

2. Took about 3 days to complete the job. First time, there was a whole lot of trial and error. You need to be prepared for this, it's inevitable.

3. Point no.2 was simplified when I got the Bolero engine. Most brackets used were OEM Bolero.

4. Most air-con components used are from an old Tata Sierra. They were overhauled prior to installation.

5. Days that the air-con has malfunctioned from the time of installation = ZERO

You can't beat the comfort & convenience of an air-con when driving in the city or on the highway. Heck, the last time I went offroading, it got so hot that I put the doors back on and switched on the ac in two hours. A chilling air-conditioner makes your Jeep that much more useable. Most Moderators have cruised in my Jeep (including Samurai) and will attest for it's effectiveness.

Quote:
The mechanic said if it is fitted in the grill area the jeep will overheat.
My Classic runs the condensor in front of the radiator. I've also upgraded the radiator to a high-flow 6 line type. There is absolutely NO overheating in the city, while offroading and while driving at moderate speeds (below 70 kph)

Temperature gauge's permanent position when speeds <70 kph. Whatever the driving condition (including offroading + bumper to bumper traffic):

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-dsc00351.jpg

However, when cruising at 90 kph, the airflow is messed up and the needle does go to the 95 centigrade level. Some people have advised me that a larger condensor fan should help (see the picture, current size is small) while others have asked me to fit a smaller condensor (so it releases some air going onto the radiator). What I generally do is ease off the accelerator to say, 70 kph, and the needle comes back at 80. Matters have substantially improved since I got the 6 line radiator, so this is not a high priority for me at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I have seen/heard people mount the condenser between the chassis somewhere around and above the rear differential. I might be wrong but I think ankit, goslow on teambhp has done it this way on his gypsy.
Any downsides to this? If I can move my condensor away from the present location, the radiator will have free access to air (translated, no high speed overheating).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrainsnooper View Post
1.> Which compressor(make/capacity) to use?
Sanden 507 is best.

Quote:
2.> Which condenser to use?
Dunno. I'm running one from a Sierra.

Quote:
3.> Which blower to use? (Std vs HVAC)
Superking. I have never taken my blower speed above 2 (capacity till 4). In fact, I rarely take it over setting 1.

Quote:
4.> Be ethical and use the new R-134a refrigerant and incur additional costs? (in terms of condenser/evaporator size)?
I'm running the old stuff.

Quote:
6.> Cooling of the condenser? (Dedicated electric fan or common engine fan or additional electric fan)
Dedicated electric cooling fan. Larger the better.

Quote:
7.> Additional cooling on engine on idle? (bigger radiator or electric fan in front of radiator)
Never had a problem at idle, or speeds below 70, even in bumper to bumper traffic. NOTE : I am running the XD3P engine. But even on the XDP 2.1, never had a problem in city.

Quote:
10.> Good insulation for driver or entire cabin space.
My Classic uses a generous application of heatlon. That said, these old Jeep designs are anything but well insulated. There's glaring gaps all around. Yet, the cabin stays sufficiently cold (powerful compressor + blower).

Quote:
11.> Effects on power/torque/pick-up when AC is running if final drive ratio is 4.27 (or even 4.88 for that matter)
Hardly a negative effect. The diesels are very torquey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrainsnooper View Post
Can someone also throw some light on the thermoclutch unit that needs to go in to trigger on/off the compressor? Or does the compressor run continuously as long as the AC switch is pushed in?
Mine has the thermoclutch and switches on / off intermittently (depending on the temperature I have set it to).

Some pictures of the engine bay + front grille. I'll take detailed pictures of the air-con installation in particular, and upload soon.

Condensor + electric fan:

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-dsc01702.jpg

Blower position: NOTE - No fouling with the gear operation.

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-dashboard-view.jpg

Engine bay pictures:

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-dsc00327.jpg

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-dsc00326.jpg

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-dsc00324.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2009 at 12:49.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2009, 14:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for the detail GTO.

, did I see two set of pressure horn inside the bonnet. Seems you love honking.

Last edited by DesertKing : 27th May 2009 at 14:03.
Old 27th May 2009, 14:33   #25
BHPian

Thanks GTO for taking the efforts to explain the setup. Truly appreciate it.

Wow, that is a tight engine bay, but a neat job none-the-less. This should guide those looking to fit an AC in the Jeep.(Including me somewhere down the line). The challenge now is sourcing the components and finding a competent installer. Good luck and please share your experiences.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 27th May 2009, 15:15   #26
Team-BHP Support

Bigger fan in front will help in keeping the temperature within range. No need to fit outside and all, get a proper AC mech to do the install and you will have trouble free experience. As GTO pointed out 507 is adequate, 508 will be for 100% deserts and will put additional load.

Radiators from newer breed of Crdi's should help, since they handle heat better. (Behram can advice on this please)
Old 27th May 2009, 16:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed reply GTO and I look forward to the detailed pictures of the air-con installation.

Please does anyone have any part numbers for the Bolero OEM brackets ? If I can source these it will make the job easier, else the guy will spend two days making jugaad/brackets.
Old 27th May 2009, 17:47   #28
Team-BHP Support

If you have access to any mahindra *** just check with them and pick it up off the counter.
Old 27th May 2009, 18:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If you have access to any mahindra *** just check with them and pick it up off the counter.
Will they carry stock ? When my dad tried to buy a set of body mount bush and chain the local dealer claimed they had never stocked them and could not get them. Similalry when Ricky tried to get glowplugs for his xd3p the dealer said they had never been asked for them before etc.

If someone can kindly provide part numbers for all the bolero mounts for AC then I can start nagging my cousin to order the bits for me.

Please can someone also suggest a source for a suitable larger radiator.

Are these Sanden compressors usually sourced from junkyards or can you buy them brand new ?

Last edited by bigman : 27th May 2009 at 18:04.
Old 27th May 2009, 18:03   #30
Team-BHP Support

oh thats news to me, then approach them for the part number or else a bigger parts dealer in your area should be able to help you with the same. All these guys will have parts manual which will have the exact part no.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks