Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 01:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)

Hi Guys, thinking of a/c-ing my MM550. Am sold on the National blower because of the silent way it operates and the throw. Also the slim looks it has as compared to any other blower.

Am looking at a second hand unit but will fix a new dryer and expansion valve. I have my a/c guy who has in the past carried out very good installs for me and my friends. Am meeting him tomorrow to discuss.

I want to know the following. What is the compressor used on the Maruti 800? Will it suffice on the MM550? Im told it will. Also what will be the load on the engine as i already have a power steering unit.

If anyone has any suggestions, kindly let me know including the cost as the price and quality are both imperative. Ill share what my a/c guy says when i meet him tomorrow.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:21   #77
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Also what will be the load on the engine as i already have a power steering unit.

If anyone has any suggestions, kindly let me know including the cost as the price and quality are both imperative. Ill share what my a/c guy says when i meet him tomorrow.
Hi Gogi,

Ramkya1 just got A/C and PS fitted on his 550XDB. He should be able to give you more info and feedback about his experiences. Nevertheless, a XD3P will be quite strained with both mods. I think costs for AC are around 15K all inclusive. I used his Jeep for a couple of days and boy it gets cold in there!
In terms of quality, the fitting of the compressor plus the steering will add to the number of pulleys and belts thereof in the engine bay. Getting that layout proper is imperative as clearances between the belts can get really low depending on how you set it up. You should ask Ramky for some pics.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 11:43   #78
Senior - BHPian

Like Aditya said, my A/C job has come out nice. Immediately afte that, Adi used it and found it OK for short runs. I found on long runs, over 30/40 kms engine gets overheated, touching 100's with the old radiator, the oil pressure lamp coming on. Changed it last weekend to a 5 core copper radiator, Rs.6000/- (the biggest that can go in) and tested it out yesteday on a 50 kms run.

With the A/C (Rs.13500/-) on if pushed to 70 on my odo (due to big tyres it shoudl be 80 actually) after 40 kms the thermo was steady at 80-90 but the oil pressure lamp comes on again. Once the temp dropped to 80 the problem disappeared indicating it's related to the heat. Checked the coolant content, traces of oil in radiator water, leaks and blown gaskets and reduction in engine oil, all OK. So what's left is to increase level of coolant (now its about a ltr on the total volume) so will have to check that out. I've read many forums and this seem to be a common issue which many people are living through, they strike a compromise by switching A/C off or driving at speeds below 70.

The A/C is a chiller even on my soft top, the dash has been changed to that of a Gypsy. I think all around the job has been nice. The Koyo PS (Rs.20000/-) also is a neat job, driving is a breeze now.

Will upload more details in acouple of days with pictures.

One issue that would be resolved soon, the big radiator extends downwards and the clearance between the front pumpkin and radiator is only about 4 inches; on articulation it would hit the radiator and damage it. Solution: Shackles which would lift the body by 4 more inches which should solve the problem, Adi is arranging the same, we should be about to fix that in this week.

One question: Found many people advocating to paint radiator black, wonder why?

--Ramky

Quote:
Hi Guys, thinking of a/c-ing my MM550. Am sold on the National blower because of the silent way it operates and the throw. Also the slim looks it has as compared to any other blower.

Am looking at a second hand unit but will fix a new dryer and expansion valve. I have my a/c guy who has in the past carried out very good installs for me and my friends. Am meeting him tomorrow to discuss.

I want to know the following. What is the compressor used on the Maruti 800? Will it suffice on the MM550? Im told it will. Also what will be the load on the engine as i already have a power steering unit.

ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 12:48   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
He should be able to give you more info and feedback about his experiences. Nevertheless, a XD3P will be quite strained with both mods.
Isn't Gogi praaji's Jeep with the XDP4.90 engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

One question: Found many people advocating to paint radiator black, wonder why?
It acts like a Black body.

Black body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 13:19   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

It acts like a Black body.

Black body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spike
Tnx for the pointer. The long and short from the scientific mumbo-jumbo there is that Black radiates heat off better than any other colour. Correct?

I read from jeep thrills you had uploaded a manual for mm550 XDB, could not get it there. Would it be possible to upload it here?

--Ramky.
======
Old 20th June 2011, 14:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correct?
Yes.

Quote:
I read from jeep thrills you had uploaded a manual for mm550 XDB, could not get it there. Would it be possible to upload it here?
Ramky, I have never uploaded any manual on the net. However, if you need anything specific let me know. Will be glad to help with whatever I know.

Spike

PS- I guess you are referring to someone else.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:39   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes.

Ramky, I have never uploaded any manual on the net. However, if you need anything specific let me know. Will be glad to help with whatever I know.

Spike

PS- I guess you are referring to someone else.
Sir,

I am confused now, I've seen vehicle radiators in black and radiators in room in UK and Europe in White!!! The room radiators also dissipates heat into the room, then why white there?

Sorry, I'm referring to someone else.

The specifics I need are:

1. Oil pressure guage readings: It should go to 3 on start and remain there throughout, ideally. When I run mine and when the heat goes up to 80+ the pressure drops to almost red and climbs only when I tap the accelerator. Thinning oil when it heats up leading to reduciton of pressure?

2. Would a snorkel cool the engine considerably? I've collected lots of material on building one, does not seem difficult except for the head, we have found a workaround with the Eicher one.

3. Is there information available about the XD3P engine, all connected details on the web somewhere? What I have is a collection, I can validate that with some authentic information.

Thanks. --Ramky
----------------
Old 20th June 2011, 15:26   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am confused now, I've seen vehicle radiators in black and radiators in room in UK and Europe in White!!! The room radiators also dissipates heat into the room, then why white there?
Heat transfer by radiation depends on three basic things:- Reflectivity, Absorptivity, Transmissivity. A black body Absorbs and Emits heat, it does not reflect (ideally), white surfaces reflect heat (more) and also absorb heat (less). This is why it is recommended to wear light / bright clothes on a hot sunny day.

Quote:
1. Oil pressure guage readings: It should go to 3 on start and remain there throughout, ideally. When I run mine and when the heat goes up to 80+ the pressure drops to almost red and climbs only when I tap the accelerator. Thinning oil when it heats up leading to reduciton of pressure?
Oil pressure at Idling RPM (770-820) of XD3P is 1.5 kg /cm2 and at 3000 RPM is 3 kg /cm2, check this data first.

Quote:
2. Would a snorkel cool the engine considerably? I've collected lots of material on building one, does not seem difficult except for the head, we have found a workaround with the Eicher one.
The only reason I would suggest a snorkel for a 4WD would be for Water wading and or Aesthetics / Looks. It is not about cooling, there are several factors involved like intake pressure depression, noise, engine breathing etc.

Quote:
3. Is there information available about the XD3P engine, all connected details on the web somewhere? What I have is a collection, I can validate that with some authentic information.
I am here na, ask and you shall be enlightened.

Spike

PS- Ramky, no "Sir" please!
Old 20th June 2011, 16:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike

You tell me chief, i have no clue. Here are some pics, tell me what it is please!! Also give me the details on the type of engine and its pros and cons.

AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-14062011183.jpg
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-14062011184.jpg
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-14062011185.jpg
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-14062011188.jpg
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-14062011195.jpg
AC for MM550 (and Jeeps in general)-img_5348.jpg

Quote:
Yes.
However, if you need anything specific let me know. Will be glad to help with whatever I know.
Spike
Well could i have a manual for my Jeep please??
Old 29th June 2011, 18:04   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics, tell me what it is please!! Also give me the details on the type of engine and its pros and cons.
XD3P 2.5 Litre inline diesel [62 bhp on tap, tunable (i think to 70~bhp?)]
lugnut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 12:54   #86
Senior - BHPian

Please also tell me how to tune it to extract the extra few horses.
Old 30th June 2011, 13:35   #87
BHPian

Quote:
This point is where I am at present - need some clues here myself -
I know Jassy was able to get a lot of juice from his engine, and one key ingredient in the mix is the Oil-cooler, as Fazal sahib pointed out elsewhere [mine was removed ]

Arka/headers/xtremepower/BD/anyone ?
(maybe a separate thread focused on this perhaps)
Old 30th June 2011, 15:35   #88
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
XD3P 2.5 Litre inline diesel [62 bhp on tap, tunable (i think to 70~bhp?)]
The XDP4.90 2112 cc Peugeot develops 62 bhp and the XD3P 2.5 litre develops~ 70-72 bhp and slightly more with the oil-cooler that V-16 has in his Jeep.

Quote:
Over and above the oil cooler am not sure if I have read about any tuning experiments with the XD3P except the crazy stuff that redmm340 did on his XDP4.90 with the Turbo and NOS! You guys should look up his thread. It will go OT here.
Old 30th June 2011, 17:13   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
The XDP4.90 2112 cc Peugeot develops 62 bhp and the XD3P 2.5 litre develops~ 70-72 bhp and slightly more with the oil-cooler that V-16 has in his Jeep.
*Gets to work on reconnecting the oil cooler right away*

Quote:
Over and above the oil cooler am not sure if I have read about any tuning experiments with the XD3P except the crazy stuff that redmm340 did on his XDP4.90 with the Turbo and NOS! You guys should look up his thread. It will go OT here.
Ah yes Jassy and his 140kmph ride which hes selling. Controversial post which i think should be left here as the guy is unfortunately selling his dream vehicle because of some medical problems. Other than that going the turbo or the nos was is not for me, id rather my vehicle be reliable (not saying that redmm340's jeep is not reliable) but thats too technical for me to do, though i love to read his thread, awesome knowledge filled stuff there.
Old 19th August 2011, 06:55   #90
BHPian

Quote:

Bumped into the thread nnow as am looking to install A/C in my MM 540. V-16 did you get to install the A/C unit? If yes can you please share some details of installation and some pics too.

Most Viewed