Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 18:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi vijay
I heard that you changed to a brand new engine as your old one sucked some water. That was pure bad luck. Going for a new engine was a wise decision as you intend to keep the vehicle for long time.

As far as your gearbox goes if shift quality is the only problem, then i suggest you live with it. Else i have solution, why not exchange with my KMT-90 4wd? You will know how good or bad your existing gearbox is!!

p.s- You have to be really lucky to source a good second hand NGT 530 2wd gear box for you to add your transfer case to it as jyobeb suggested. Happy hunting till then
Vinod other than shift quality its fantastic to drive the jeep, i don't have any problem in shifting. only problem is my team mates can't shift it to desired gear, whenever they try to go for 4th they put it in to 2nd.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:53   #17
BHPian

Hello Viji,

As i discussed with you when we met, i always heard BAD things about BA-10. I would be closely watching this thread. This was news to me as NGT 530 also came in aluminum casing. As of Sunday i did not have any problem with shifting and it was smoother than my safari :-) But while i was coming back i had some issues with shifting (Yesterday i found it was a faulty clutch). You can see the thread in the same catogory of 4X4 Off roading. As you told, my jaw dropped when i saw the shifting mechanism of BA-10, man it looks like a robotic hand!!!!

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 14th July 2009, 20:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Hello Viji,

As i discussed with you when we met, i always heard BAD things about BA-10. I would be closely watching this thread. This was news to me as NGT 530 also came in aluminum casing. As of Sunday i did not have any problem with shifting and it was smoother than my safari :-) But while i was coming back i had some issues with shifting (Yesterday i found it was a faulty clutch). You can see the thread in the same catogory of 4X4 Off roading. As you told, my jaw dropped when i saw the shifting mechanism of BA-10, man it looks like a robotic hand!!!!

Thanks
--Sree--
Hi Sree yes as you mentioned its look like a robotic hand !!! that robotic mechanism is giving trouble.if we replace that total linkage it will give a trouble free service of another five years.i mean 5 yrs back i once changed it. now no Mahindra dealer has that part in stock.
Old 14th July 2009, 20:21   #19
BHPian

Hi Viji,

Just now i confirmed with one of my friends that BA-10 which came in Early Scorpios has a direct linkage. But i doubt if existing transfer case will go along with that.

@Joybeb are you sure it is an NGT 530? Or is it another BA-10 from a scorpio?

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 14th July 2009, 22:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

absolutely sure. My gearbox is a NGT530.
Your transfer case will be a direct bolt on. Take my word for it. Been there done that and spent one hell of a lot of money too.
I have a BA10 link system, an electic transfer case, a KMt90 gearbox and a whole lot of parts left behind to show for it.
Old 14th July 2009, 23:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
absolutely sure. My gearbox is a NGT530.
Your transfer case will be a direct bolt on. Take my word for it. Been there done that and spent one hell of a lot of money too.
I have a BA10 link system, an electic transfer case, a KMt90 gearbox and a whole lot of parts left behind to show for it.
WOW!!! You don't know how relaxed i am now. I have an answer for my nightmare now "After BA-10 what next?". I heard from fellow Jeepers like Viji that its next to impossible to source part for this Gearbox. I have a manual transfer case which has mounted behind BA-10. And my rear Differential is offset to right. Do i need to change the rear differential? As per your advice i can just take the last portion of BA-10 including trasfer case and mount behind NGT 530 right? Sorry for lot of qustions.

@Viji, we have a reason to smile now.

Thanks jyobeb
--Sree--
Old 14th July 2009, 23:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
A new XD3P costs only a lakh??
yes boss .without Fuel pump,starter,Alternator,
Old 14th July 2009, 23:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
A new XD3P costs only a lakh??
The XD3P that comes with no Alternator, A/C compressor, Starter motor, Fuel pump and the front A/C pulley cost Rs. 1,07,000 before tax.

The same with all the above missing items is called XD3P U and it will cost around 1,74,000 after tax. Got confirmed from MPL Service guys

Last edited by trammway : 14th July 2009 at 23:36.
Old 14th July 2009, 23:57   #24
BHPian

Hi siva are you on line? what happened to Mazda ? have you got any information about Mazda .
Old 15th July 2009, 07:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Mazda guy is not accessible, will update as soon as possible.

Ok now Gurus my question for you, Is it possible to change the manual transfer case of BA-10? is the BA-10 manual transfer case is same as KMT-90?
Old 15th July 2009, 08:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

Recently when I drove sachin's restored MM550, I found the BA-10 behave like sponge box. The gear shifts are so smooth and spongy. My KMT90 is like mad dog tough. Most people won't be able to change gears on my recently rebuilt KMT90.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
WOW!!! You don't know how relaxed i am now. I have an answer for my nightmare now "After BA-10 what next?". I heard from fellow Jeepers like Viji that its next to impossible to source part for this Gearbox. I have a manual transfer case which has mounted behind BA-10. And my rear Differential is offset to right. Do i need to change the rear differential? As per your advice i can just take the last portion of BA-10 including trasfer case and mount behind NGT 530 right? Sorry for lot of qustions.

@Viji, we have a reason to smile now.

Thanks jyobeb
--Sree--
YUP!
However is your transfer case a Dana Spicer or is it a Borg Warner? If it is a B & W, then the rear diff should be offset to the left???
Old 15th July 2009, 14:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
YUP!
However is your transfer case a Dana Spicer or is it a Borg Warner? If it is a B & W, then the rear diff should be offset to the left???
Jyobeb,

I have no clue about it. All i can say is, the shifting mechanism in a single line from top to bottom. 2H--->4H---->Neutral---->4L. I am bit confused. some say it's a B&W others say its a spicer. Spicer in Military 550 has a different shifting pattern. The differential is offset to right (If you are looking from the back side of jeep). Attaching a picture of my gear box. Sorry for the poor quality. I am attaching one more piture of shifting mechanism of BA-10 for the benifit of others. Look how complicated it is.

@Viji, any comments? I am sure your setup looks like same. I had a look at Jyobeb's gearbox again and found that the rear prop shaft starts from the center of Transfer case.

Thanks and looking forward for your inputs
Sreeraj

Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4  gear box direct Shift.-img0018a.jpg

Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4  gear box direct Shift.-img0019a.jpg

Jyobeb's Gearbox and transfer case

Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4  gear box direct Shift.-gear-linkages-530-transfer-case.jpg

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 15th July 2009 at 15:07.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Your transfer case is a Dana Spicer. No problem however, the entire rear part starting from the last gearbox housing will bolt on to the 530.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:20   #30
BHPian

Hi Sree i am postponing Major alterations, i am replacing all the bushes,(i done this thing 3 times in last 6 years it works) mean while i am trying to get new full Shifter assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4  gear box direct Shift.-gear-shifter.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks