Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2009, 10:22   #31
BHPian

Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even Headers (Palar 08 winner) gets to learn something today.

Ganesh, I think Headers was wondering whether offroading can be bought in a shop. May be you should have said offroading supplies.
Well, I see where the disconnect might be, and since I don't know the experience of the people I am interacting with, I am taking the questions at face value!! No disrespect meant.

Anyway, the heading says "Stuff you can get there", meaning: Camping stuff, Off-roading stuff.

Last edited by gbanavar : 29th June 2009 at 10:34.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
OTR is also called off-roading Off-roading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ganesh, I think Headers was wondering whether offroading can be bought in a shop. May be you should have said offroading supplies.
Yup, thats what i meant.

Quote:
Well, I see where the disconnect might be, and since I don't know the experience of the people I am interacting with, I am taking the questions at face value!! No disrespect meant.

Anyway, the heading says "Stuff you can get there", meaning: Camping stuff, Off-roading stuff.
Thanks sir, for the information. BTW, some costing inputs could help too, for the uninitiated!
Old 29th June 2009, 14:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

I will be holding an off road driving and rescue training session in Gurgaon, Delhi NCR shortly along with NIOC. All interested are welcome to attend. It is a free workshop.

We will teach, demonstrate and hand out Instruction manuals to keep in your car.

All are welcome.

Shahid
Old 29th June 2009, 15:04   #34
BHPian

@Desertfox: that's wonderful! All the best for your training session..

Dear Bangalore Jeep Gurus,

Can we have a similar training session in Bangalore? I would deeply appreciate one that starts right down from the basics.

Thanks.
Old 29th June 2009, 15:11   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Suresh,
Thank you for taking the lead on setting up a Training session. You can count me in on this.

I need help to equip myself with the items you mentioned in your previous post.
1. Fix a hook in the rear and recovery hook in the front: I have hooks in the front, but not the "D" hooks.
2. Recovery cable(10 meters) with eyelet on both sides: I believe this can be bought at Ozone, but is there a better place?
3. Bow shackles 5/8" 4 nos: Where can I buy these?
4. Gloves: I am assuming heavy duty work gloves - not sure where I can buy good ones either.
5. Hilift jack(48") min( absolutely essential): Where can I buy these?
6. Shovel, pick axe: Where can I buy these?

I guess I also need the recovery hooks & snatch blocks. Thanks in advance.
Dear Ganesh,
D hooks are not a must. A strong hook which can take about 3 Tons will suffice. I think Rhino hooks and D hooks( used in Jonga and Shatkiman are available in Delhi ). Iam also getting a few single piece machined Flanged eyelets (which could be bolted in the front) manufactured. A D shacke can be connected to it. If any body else wants, it will work out cheaper in bulk
You will require a hook in the rear of your jeep( the one used for connecting trailers) . It will be available in Auto spare part shops like CAR Automobiles in J C Road. It will cost less than 1000/-
Recovery cables and Bow shackles are available at Stella traders. Go for a 10mm dia cable with eyelets on the both sides. Synthetic straps are also available. It could be slightly costly. But lighter and more elegant. Pick up a 3Ton capacity one
Heavy working gloves are ideal. It will be available in shops where tools are sold. There are a good number of shops near Stella Traders.
The original American Hi lift jacks (48''/60")are available with adventure zone. will cost about 5500/-for a cast iron version. Cast steel version is slightly costly. It depends on your budjet.
Shovel/pick axe- from any hardware shop. Go for TATA make.
Snatch blocks are normally used with winches as a force mutliplier. May not be immediately required for you unless you are planning for a winch in your jeep. This can also be used when being pulled/ recused by another vehicle.
The original Warn Snatch blocks used to be available in adventure zone. slightly costly, alternatively, Iam getting a few snatch blocks manufactured. if you wish, you can have one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-jay View Post
Hi Guys,

I am in for the off road training. Couple of things I need to clarify:

-I have a gypsy 410 and its got the standard tow hooks in front and back should this be enough.
-I have a recovery cable with the eye hooks so no probs on that.
-What are Bow shackles 5/8" 4 nos: Where can I buy these?Do I need it on my Gypsy
-Is the high liftjack a necessasity.
-Shovel and gloves all ready

Suresh let me know when and where the events gong to take place.
I would love to join uall.

Cheers
Aj
Dear Ajay
Bow shackles are required to connect the cable to your vehicle on one end and other to the recovery vehicle end. 5/8" is the size of the rod and it has a capacity of 3.25Tons
Hi lift jacks in my opinion and experience are an absolute must for an OTR
vehicle. I will rate it above the winch itself. Many a times you will see the vehicle getting stuck on transfer case. Hi lift can effectively be used to recover the vehicle with out any damage. Even when the vehicle is stuck in thick mud one can easily lift the vehicle use some padding and rescue. With an attachment, it will double up a manual winch. Tedious to use, but you are sure to go home. In an gypsy, There is not many good lifting areas for the jack. You may require the attachment for holding the wheel directly and lifting it up.I thinkit is about 2000/-(not sure)
Iam waiting for the vehicles to get prepared with basic accessories before starting the program
Suresh
Old 29th June 2009, 17:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well there is no reason why I cannot fly down to Banglore and hold one there, but carrying tow ropes and equipment will be troublesome. Can everything be arranged there, except the speciality shackles and the Kintetic Energy recovery rope ( Magic rope ) I will carry that in a suitcase.
Old 29th June 2009, 20:59   #37
Team-BHP Support

That will be a great initiative desertfox, but please make sure you Indianise the content. If you speak about equipment most of us can't afford, then there is no point. Even now 90% of the offroad vehicles in India are almost stock Jeep and Gypsy.
Old 30th June 2009, 09:31   #38
BHPian

Offroading stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Dear Ganesh,
I am also getting a few single piece machined Flanged eyelets (which could be bolted in the front) manufactured. A D shacke can be connected to it. If any body else wants, it will work out cheaper in bulk

..., alternatively, Iam getting a few snatch blocks manufactured. if you wish, you can have one of them.
Suresh
Dear Suresh,
I would like to get the flanged eyelets to connect the D shackle. I don't know when I will be investing in a Winch, but, once I get into more, I may need it. If the snatch block is hard to come by, I will get one.

Can you please tell me how much they may cost?
Old 30th June 2009, 13:05   #39

Tow hook fitting

Need to get a tow hook fitted on my Invader- have an old hook but will need some modifications on the rear end of the vehicle. Am in Mysore,have gone around to a number of mechanics/fabricators with wildly varying estimates(from rs 400 to rs 5000) and with no guarantee whether the job will be done correctly!Anyone who knows someone!?

In addition, I have a spare tow hook for sale, so anyone wanting it,request PM-will be available only after I finish my fitting though! Regards and thanks-in advance anticipation!
Old 30th June 2009, 14:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Suresh,
I would like to get the flanged eyelets to connect the D shackle. I don't know when I will be investing in a Winch, but, once I get into more, I may need it. If the snatch block is hard to come by, I will get one.

Can you please tell me how much they may cost?
Dear Ganesh,
Iam yet to get a price for the Flanged eyelets. The Snatch block is 1750/ . Right now Iam trying to get about 10 pieces manufactured. It will be easier now to get one in the lot than manufacturing in a single piece. Otherwise it is not a big problem to make to one
Regards,
Suresh
Old 1st July 2009, 12:14   #41
BHPian

Hi Suresh Sir I need single piece machined Flanged eyelets-2 numbers for My 550
When can i get these is it possible Before TPC-2009 ?
Old 1st July 2009, 14:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi Suresh Sir I need single piece machined Flanged eyelets-2 numbers for My 550
When can i get these is it possible Before TPC-2009 ?
Ok Vijay. should be possible. It will talk to the machinist
Suresh
Old 1st July 2009, 20:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Ok Vijay. should be possible. It will talk to the machinist
Suresh
Thanks sir,sir one more out of subject question,how many KMS i have to do running in before taking my 550 to OTR.The new engine arrived and its going to fix Tommorrow
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sir,sir one more out of subject question,how many KMS i have to do running in before taking my 550 to OTR.The new engine arrived and its going to fix Tommorrow
Dear Vijay,
I think if around 500 km is done, you can slowly load the engine. For running in, drive the vehicle in different speeds so that it sets in right. Go for a high way ride and avoid crossing 60km/hr speed. During off roading, keep a close tab on the engine temperature and lube oil pressure. Ensure that they are within limits. Give sufficient rest in between.That should suffice. Mr Berham can add further.
Suresh.
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
stick to what the manual says. and as suresh pointed out , keep the revs low and watch oil pressure and water temp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks