Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 17:10   #181
BANNED

Re: Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Another simple advantage that drove my choice of dogbone shackles was that when you upsize tires, the longer shackles compensate for the reduced gap between tyre and fender.
you have sorted it out temporarily ( IMHO ) , the fender needs to be re fabricated ( Again IMHO )

Quote:
@Sudarshan bhai,

Also, how did longer shackles result in a disadvantage articulation-wise?
AFAIK & IMHO Articulation means travel of wheels in both directions UP & DOWN
So answer to your Question will be

Clue 1 if you preload the springs more what will happen ? that happens exactly with the longer shackles wheels just don't go up enough ( they may go down enough - but that too looks doubtful here )

Clue 2 Apart from the theoretical view in the above ; I have watched the two vehicles ( Mentioned above in my post as Kunal's & Kishorda's ) doing same obstacle differently , the longer shackled actually see sawed at some point the roll was much more than the other vehicle

Clue 3 we need actual ramp study for this comparing the two vehicles ,

need to think more on this ,still have few doubts ( like you ) as to what happens 'Exactly ' with longer shackles , thats why I have put the query here

Sudarshan
Old 17th June 2011, 20:42   #182
BANNED

Ok let me rephrase my question ,

why is shackle on particular vehicle ( cj 3 or 540 ) is of a particular length , -- say 4.25 " . Why its not 5" or 4" ? whats the RULE that decides the shackle length .

suppose I am using 48" long ( main leaf ) spring assy , what is the shackle length ? what factors (terrain , spring curve ,flex etc ? ) determine the shackle length

OR other way round --, suppose I want to lift my vehicle --MM 540 --for 2" ( by long shackle method ) what length of shackle & springs ( also --yes ) I should be using ? keeping in mind that I am ready to modify/ adjust the prop shaft length or its slider .

Whats the key to this shackle length thing ?

Sudarshan
Old 17th June 2011, 21:44   #183
Senior - BHPian

^^^:

Apart from above, dont you think the Shock absorber travel plays a role?

I think the shock absorbers, the leaf spring pack and the wheel travel [vertical] of the vehicle is restricted by design to a certain maximum limit and this differs for a CJxx and a MMxx.

IIRC, the NGCS has a different perch point [courtesy Vinod_Nookala] which gives it a better suspension than a MM540 I guess

Maybe Spike can help with the formulaes? Diagrams?
Old 17th June 2011, 23:15   #184
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Clue 1 if you preload the springs more what will happen ? that happens exactly with the longer shackles wheels just don't go up enough ( they may go down enough - but that too looks doubtful here )
Isn't this compensated by longer travel shocks (I used Savari shocks when I fitted the shackles). Longer travel shocks would also essentially be longer and have a preload closer to what longer shackles would require as compared to stock.

I think that's what Headers is also referring to below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Quote:
why is shackle on particular vehicle ( cj 3 or 540 ) is of a particular length , -- say 4.25 " . Why its not 5" or 4" ? whats the RULE that decides the shackle length .
what factors (terrain , spring curve ,flex etc ? ) determine the shackle length
Interesting question. While I had love to know the exact method of determining shackle length, something enlightening that comes to mind in the words of the brilliant Bill Watterson

Name:  Until the bridge breaks.gif
Views: 3112
Size:  22.3 KB

Source: Internet search
@Mods - Not sure if I can paste an image just using "Internet search" as a source. Please delete if inappropriate.

Last edited by AVR : 17th June 2011 at 23:22.
AVR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 06:39   #185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
^^^:

No I dont think so , Once you adjust/change the shockabs for the required travel limits ( maximum stretch & compress ) the consideration is over , wrt axle up & down travel .

Sohockabs are essentially dampers they will just control the rate of 'swinging ' & that too to reduce rapid ' jerks ' . I dont think dampers are relevant in 1st Low crawl . ( unless used as preloaded or coupled with springs ( coil springs around it ), Ahh you are talking about such ?

Quote:
IIRC, the NGCS has a different perch point [courtesy Vinod_Nookala] which gives it a better suspension than a MM540 I guess
maybe , but thats the standard design , dont know much on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Isn't this compensated by longer travel shocks (I used Savari shocks when I fitted the shackles). Longer travel shocks would also essentially be longer and have a preload closer to what longer shackles would require as compared to stock.
what you have done is adjusting the longer down travel ( & may be compression ) of shockabs with the extended shackles , otherwise the standard ones would not have worked properly

Quote:
the words of the brilliant Bill Watterson
Brilliant -- this is how WE do things , till they break & then find the way to correct it

Sudarshan
Old 18th June 2011, 10:30   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sudarshan
The rule is defined by design sir!! The drivetrain components that go into building the vehicle as well as the max articulation it can achieve safely!!

Quote:
Sohockabs are essentially dampers they will just control the rate of 'swinging ' & that too to reduce rapid ' jerks ' . I dont think dampers are relevant in 1st Low crawl . ( unless used as preloaded or coupled with springs ( coil springs around it ), Ahh you are talking about such ?

maybe , but thats the standard design , dont know much on that

Now, why did they change the perch points for the NGCS? Obviously to better the older 540s suspension setup.

Now, these AFAIK are extensively tested in CAD/CAM before production to check for feasibility and weakness areas. A FMEA would definitely have been done. We [normal guys] cannot get access to such documents are they are classified documents pertaining to processes.

What we will be doing is our own thoughts as to why a certain design was done etc without understanding the underlying reason.

Ofcourse, we will add to the page and post counts
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:01   #187
BHPian

hi guys,
as far as all i have learnt from this thread, i still cant come to a conclusion as far as my mm540 is concerned. so i can conclude that except for the stock setup anything else is a trial and error setup, a hit or miss. Or is there an error free set up? if so please keep me informed. i'll take your word for it.
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:59   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
hi guys,
as far as all i have learnt from this thread, i still cant come to a conclusion as far as my mm540 is concerned. so i can conclude that except for the stock setup anything else is a trial and error setup, a hit or miss. Or is there an error free set up? if so please keep me informed. i'll take your word for it.
VANOS,

Bottom line is..there is no way you can increase the GC of a stock vehicle except to go for bigger tyres.

By Ground Clearance what we are talking here exactly is the bottom most point of, differential pumpkin bottom point, leaf spring etc. As far as my experience goes, this is the only way GC can be increased/ achieved.

Longer shackles, lift, SPoA etc. will not increase the above mentioned GC, though it will help in articulation and avoid wheel lock in the tyre wells.

Bigger tyres is neither a hit and miss or trial and error, it is a sure shot way of gaining on GC.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:24   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
... so i can conclude that except for the stock setup anything else is a trial and error setup, a hit or miss....

What do you consider to be a "success"? Larger tyres (taller tyres) will raise the G.C. to the axles but you can also raise the chassis. There are trade offs to be considered either way. Raising means loss of stability and maybe some decrease in handling and agility.. best to ask someone who has had some "success" with what they did. Better yet, drive his vehicle and see if you like it.
Old 6th November 2012, 10:34   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil
VANOS,

Bottom line is..there is no way you can increase the GC of a stock vehicle except to go for bigger tyres.

By Ground Clearance what we are talking here exactly is the bottom most point of, differential pumpkin bottom point, leaf spring etc. As far as my experience goes, this is the only way GC can be increased/ achieved.

Longer shackles, lift, SPoA etc. will not increase the above mentioned GC, though it will help in articulation and avoid wheel lock in the tyre wells.

Bigger tyres is neither a hit and miss or trial and error, it is a sure shot way of gaining on GC.
Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan

What do you consider to be a "success"? Larger tyres (taller tyres) will raise the G.C. to the axles but you can also raise the chassis. There are trade offs to be considered either way. Raising means loss of stability and maybe some decrease in handling and agility.. best to ask someone who has had some "success" with what they did. Better yet, drive his vehicle and see if you like it.
Thanks a lot Fazal and Dan,
Larger wheels is a sure shot deal. I got that thanks. There is word aflote that carbon fiber springs are available. Is it true, if so what would it cost. Advantage and disadvantages. On a different topic i was thinking if i lift my car bout 6inches considering transfer case the lowest point, then fit 2 or 3 inch spaces to the springs before fitting the diff and U clamp, that may give me a lift at the diff. Please let me know what you think. I'll send you a rough sketch if you need one
Regards.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:00   #191

Re: Clearances

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
1. Fitment of 31-10.5-15 Yokohama Geolander AT-s
2. Recambering of the leaf springs
3. Fitment of longer shackles plates

The ground clearances before and after the mods are given below.
Hi Vinshad,
Could you please let me know where you got your modifications done. I would like to do the same to my Bolero DI 4x4. I'm from Palakkad.
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:10   #192
BHPian

Stock gypsy lift question

hey,

right so i have a 410w, stock, only mods are maxxis treps tires.

i use the vehicle for work, which invloves what city dweller will term as OFFROADING , and i do use it for proper offroading a few times a month.
to be honest i have gone through many threads and photos of folks really lifting their gypsies, and am sure there are advantages, but i would like to say that mine in stock form can pretty much pull through everything. also since I am located in a place where expertise and parts are far and between.

the only thing that i would like to do to get a very slight lift, is temper the leaf springs.

i am not techincal or anything, so if someone can help me and tell me is this okay to do?
any issues forseen? or any alternate way other than spoa ?
thanks a bunch

attached are a few photos - from what she looked like before - to what she is now

r
Attached Thumbnails
Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-img2012032100085.jpg  

Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-img2012080900497.jpg  

Raising a Jeep's ground clearance : Options?-img2012082300551.jpg  

Roja is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:31   #193
BHPian

Hello,
I was just wondering if I can get an answer to my question please? Would really help since I thought members here would be able to help me?

Thank you in advance
R
Old 13th February 2021, 17:26   #194
BHPian

Re: Part2 - The Explanations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi GTO,

4) The Steering Damper reduces Kingpin wear which lead to "THE DEATH WOBBLE"
Sorry to revive an old thread- but can the steering damper be fitted to a 2015 CRDe refresh? The steering feedback on every undulation makes my wrists give up on very long drives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks