Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 17:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

HELP Required: 1988 Mahindra Jeep 540DP 2WD

Hi, a friends dad owns this in Goa. Wanted a few estimates/contacts/options regarding the following in Mumbai/Goa. He is open to second-hand parts too.
  • Steering - Marshal Steering
  • Seats - Bucket Seats (Contessa)
  • Suspension (Gabriel Shock Absorbers) - I guess the 540 has traditional leaf spring suspension. Needed prices and approximate conversion costs.
  • Seat Belts
Old 14th July 2009, 17:48   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi, a friends dad owns this in Goa.
Where in Goa?

Ask him to go to the shop opposite REAL's in Panaji near Azad Maidan.

There is shop and garage at the same place. He should stock MM 540 stuff.

All MM 540 parts are available in Goa. Other then the seats and stuff.
  • Steering - Marshal Steering
You mean only the steering wheel or the whole steering assembly?
  • Seats - Bucket Seats (Contessa)
Instead of trying to mount seats from a different car with mouting points to be fabricated. Use the original seat and make it better. Or go for the Bolero seats. I guess the mounting points are the same. They are not Bucket seats per se but better then the original MM540 seats.
  • Suspension (Gabriel Shock Absorbers) - I guess the 540 has traditional leaf spring suspension. Needed prices and approximate conversion costs.
You cannot take off the leaf springs and add shock absorber. The shock absorber is to give it a less bouncy ride then with just leaf springs. Without the leaves your Jeep is not going anywhere.

Presently the only viable options for a better ride (with leaf springs) is to go with composite fibre leaf spring. Look for Mr khan_sultan's post under technical section of 4x4 & Offroading.

Link -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...f-roading.html
  • Seat Belts
Get the ones from the Bolero.

Last edited by Spitfire : 14th July 2009 at 17:55.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steering - Marshal Steering

You mean only the steering wheel or the whole steering assembly?
Only steering wheel.

Quote:
Seats - Bucket Seats (Contessa)

Instead of trying to mount seats from a different car with mouting points to be fabricated. Use the original seat and make it better. Or go for the Bolero seats. I guess the mounting points are the same. They are not Bucket seats per se but better then the original MM540 seats.
He wants bucket seats. Right now it has the stock seat. Will check for Bolero seats too.

Quote:
Suspension (Gabriel Shock Absorbers) - I guess the 540 has traditional leaf spring suspension. Needed prices and approximate conversion costs.

You cannot take off the leaf springs and add shock absorber. The shock absorber is to give it a less bouncy ride then with just leaf springs. Without the leaves your Jeep is not going anywhere.
Sorry for "MY" ignorance. Maybe he meant that. Said that he seen a lot of Mahindra jeeps with Gabriel shocks.

If possible, it'd be great if one could post approximate prices of new/second spares.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks