Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 21:28   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Like everyone has stated so far .. looks like this will be a case of trying to buy the Pork in the Pig. IMHO this would not be a neat and tidy solution.

Please look at attached site for a "Winch", this guy is quite near to where I live, am happy to talk to him and get more details.
That's one very expensive winch. You can get some for 10K.
Old 6th August 2009, 12:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Only 10K...?? From where?? New or old?? with motor or without?? what is the capacity??? with cable or without??? what is the make/brand/model???

Yes, I know one can have in Rs. 10,000 (US$ 200) but not in India, In China. The winch I know was found in Mayapuri for Rs. 18K or so.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

This appears to me more of an anchor winch of a ferry. In that case it would be too heavy and if the motor by any chance is a DC then would be of a very high ampereage, thus putting a helluva lot of strain on battery and alternator.

Not worth the trouble..
Old 6th August 2009, 13:26   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Only 10K...?? From where?? New or old?? with motor or without?? what is the capacity??? with cable or without??? what is the make/brand/model???

Yes, I know one can have in Rs. 10,000 (US$ 200) but not in India, In China. The winch I know was found in Mayapuri for Rs. 18K or so.
I'll check and let you know. New for sure. I think it's manual but with cable.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:36   #20
BHPian

Why dont you try it out!! after all how much can you lose??? Isn't having fun the purpose to begin with??
Old 6th August 2009, 18:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That looks at least 500 Kg

Just look at the size of the windows in relation to the winch. This winch is huge. You'll need a truck to transport it.

You can try some yatch or fishing boat winches. They may fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You could take the spool and cable off one side and save it for spares. Hard to tell how big this thing really is from the picture.
Will try to get some more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
My observation is this winch being on ship is an AC current driven. Not DC . Hence, fitting on jeep / vehicle is out of question
Will confirm that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Like everyone has stated so far .. looks like this will be a case of trying to buy the Pork in the Pig. IMHO this would not be a neat and tidy solution.

Please look at attached site for a "Winch", this guy is quite near to where I live, am happy to talk to him and get more details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
since it is a piece of old marine equipment, be prepared to deal with a lot of rust and heavy-duty corrosion (due to continuous salty air impact).
That is something that can be fixed.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
This appears to me more of an anchor winch of a ferry. In that case it would be too heavy and if the motor by any chance is a DC then would be of a very high ampereage, thus putting a helluva lot of strain on battery and alternator.

Not worth the trouble..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyer_made View Post
Why dont you try it out!! after all how much can you lose??? Isn't having fun the purpose to begin with??
I like what you said, I might just do that.
Old 5th September 2009, 21:09   #22
BHPian

Hi Guys, By the look of the winch in the photograph it looks like it should be hydraulic screw powered winch. These are used on board most large ships and boats. I have seen a lot of them at the shipbreaking yards in Alang, Gujrat. They used mosty to lower life boats and steel ramps and laddes from the ship. Besides the weight you would need a hydraulic pump to drive it.
Old 6th September 2009, 02:18   #23

thts really great never seen such a winch .....is this suitable for jeeps
Old 15th September 2009, 12:17   #24
BHPian

I think you could make use of a hydraulic winch on a jeep as long as you make a source for the hydraulic power lines. Some sort of pump. Similar to your power steering pump. One would have to consider the hydraulic pressure requirement of the winch first.
Old 16th September 2009, 04:19   #25
BHPian

It isn't just the motor(electric or hydraulic) that powers a winch, you have a series of gears to multiply the power provided by the motor to be strong enough to be able to pull the weight. In electric winches, the gear ratio is usually around 300:1, even with a strong motor, whereas incase of hydraulic winches its around 5:1. In PTO winches, the ratio is usually about 20:1.

There are usually 3 types of gears used in winches, no matter what the power source is(PTO,hydraulic or electric).
P.T.O. winches usually all use worm gears. There are a few electric and hydraulic winches too that use worm gears.
Then there are spur gears, but very few winches use them. Only competition winches, which besides the power, must also rely on the actual winching speed generally use spur gears. The Warn M8274-50 is probably the only reliable spur geared winch out there.
Then there are planetary gears. This type is the most common type of gear, and the advantage being that its small size and compact arrangement wherein it fits in the inside of the winch cable drum makes its the ideal gearing option. 90% of the winches out there, hydraulic or electric, warn,ramsey,britpart,or even the inferior Runva chinese winches, use a planetary gearbox.
Then there are winches that use a mixture of all 3 types of gears. I have this Russian winch at home. It has there 2 24volt motors on top of the winch, and both independently power a set of spur-gears, out of which 1 motor drives a small diameter lesser tooth and higher gear ratio'ed spur-gear, while the other drives a bigger wheel with lots of teeth and a lower gear ratio, and then the gears of both the motors mesh together. The arrangement is such, that one motor through it's gears controls speed, and the other motor controls power, with the final product speed wise being the sum of average speed of both the motors, like for i.e. if both motors are moving at 6000rpm, then the final output speed too is 6000rpm. But if 1 is moving at 6000rpm and the other is not moving(0rpm), then the final output speed is 3000rpm. Also b'cos of the peculier arrangement of the spur gears, the winch provides both speed and power simultaniously.
After the spur gears, the power line of delivery moves to the planetary gears inside of the spool drum, with the other end of the drum having another set of gears, the worm gears. The reason for that is that there is another gearbox there, which can be used activate the winch by hand, to override the winch incase of an emergency or power or motor failure, which is powered by the worm gear on the other end of the drum.

This ship winch seems like it uses a gearbox of worm gears, and the drum by itself cannot be powered alone by a motor and without a gearbox. Infact, i know a person who made a winch all by himself, by using the drum roll and cable out of a Nissan 1-tonner winch. He even used the stock winch gearbox, but to it he added another 50:1 ratio worm gear, the gearbox of which is used to make those shop shutters that are rolled down by hand rather than being pulled down. The design was based the same russian winch and the end product was a pretty impressive winch which too hand an electric cum hand powered operation.
Old 16th September 2009, 12:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Infact, i know a person who made a winch all by himself, by using the drum roll and cable out of a Nissan 1-tonner winch. He even used the stock winch gearbox, but to it he added another 50:1 ratio worm gear, the gearbox of which is used to make those shop shutters that are rolled down by hand rather than being pulled down. The design was based the same russian winch and the end product was a pretty impressive winch which too hand an electric cum hand powered operation.
Very informative post, nice read. I had completely dropped the idea of getting the winch. Now you have me thinking. Guess it makes way for a good experiment even if don have it fit on the Jeep.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus
There are usually 3 types of gears used in winches, no matter what the power source is(PTO,hydraulic or electric).
P.T.O. winches usually all use worm gears. There are a few electric and hydraulic winches too that use worm gears.
Then there are spur gears, but very few winches use them. Only competition winches, which besides the power, must also rely on the actual winching speed generally use spur gears. The Warn M8274-50 is probably the only reliable spur geared winch out there.
Then there are planetary gears. This type is the most common type of gear, and the advantage being that its small size and compact arrangement wherein it fits in the inside of the winch cable drum makes its the ideal gearing option. 90% of the winches out there, hydraulic or electric, warn,ramsey,britpart,or even the inferior Runva chinese winches, use a planetary gearbox.
Dear Brutus,
A small correction. Planetary gearboxes also consists of spur gears. All the elements used viz, sun, Planets and ring gear( internal spur) are spur gears. Competion winches uses bigger motors to compensate the torque multiplication by using a smaller ratio gearboxes which will work faster. Plantary gearboxes are also normally used for them especially if the prime mover is an electric motor.
Suresh

Last edited by Samurai : 18th September 2009 at 15:15. Reason: quote fixed

Most Viewed