Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 08:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

What Jeep???

Hi Guys
I received this email sometime back and Chinta Sourianarayanamourty(the sender of the email) is from the Pondicherry state currently residing in Paris.
He has bought this jeep and has some queries about it.

As my knowledge on jeeps is very little, so could the experienced jeepers comment on the jeep and answer his queries so that I can forward the same to him.
I have uploaded the pictures to picasa.

Here is the link

Regards

Quote:

Dear sir
I am chinta sourianarayanamourty residing in FRANCE at PARIS ,origin of Pondichery state, last time when at Hyderabad i acquired a jeep (photos attached). I find your id while looking in BHP your blogs. Can you give me your opinion about this jeep.
In RC it was stated that it is a Tourer jeep willys bearing chassis number 50855 AND ENGINE DIESEL SD 6895D (local macanic told that is peugeot) WHEEL BASE 2430 ,UNLOADEN 950 ,MANUFACTURED 06/1966 REG 15.06.66.
Can you told me what is this jeep? Where it was manufectured in India?(plant) Have you some specifications for this jeep,? In search engine i find that chassis number belong to a GPW and military registration USA 20135854 i dont know what is the meaning.

Thanks you
chinta souria

MODS: I have opened up a new thread.
If a similar thread already exists and/ or this thread is not in the right section, please merge/ transfer this thread.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
What Jeep???-chinta-sourianarayanamourty-100_0815.jpg  

What Jeep???-chinta-sourianarayanamourty-100_0816.jpg  

What Jeep???-chinta-sourianarayanamourty-100_0819.jpg  

What Jeep???-chinta-sourianarayanamourty-100_0823.jpg  

What Jeep???-chinta-sourianarayanamourty-100_0827.jpg  

What Jeep???-chinta-sourianarayanamourty-104.jpg  

Old 7th August 2009, 10:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm looks like some one took an RC book of 1966 (Petrol Willys LHD) and sourced a Chassis of GPW with a Peugeot engine.

I'm not sure on the email whether RC book claims originally diesel powered or endorsed. If it is originally diesel powered (some fake modification happen on the RC book as there was no diesel power plant during 1966 even few years later), otherwise this jeep (RC gone for engine transplantation) has got diesel power later stage.

Whatever I have seen, normally the old SWB vehicles had B275 engine as their main petrol to diesel conversion plant. Since it is Peugeot I still doubt even the endorsed diesel plant originally is not the Peugeot and got changed later term and punched teh same number that was actually put on the RC book.

Coming to the body features

1. The jeep suppose to be on the CJ3B line, but got the front side modified to look like Willys MB(on ford gpw chassis ;-) )

2. Front grill of Willys MB is again not original and it is locally fabricated one (look at the uneven grill tops)

3. The right side fender blackout light is not original one and the dome of the light is from some latest light

4. There was no SWB got the diesel/petrol tank at the rear, the fuel tank was always at the lefthand side of under front seat. This jeep got it underthe body tub in the rear side.

5. I doubt if ever willys came with the embosed letters on the windshield, it could be tinker's magic

6. The extra arm fitments around the body is not in original shape or in locations.

7. The original CJ3Bs never had split windscreen and this one borrowed it from either MB or GPW

8. He he he the soft top pattern matches closely with our DKG's CJ3B may be sourced from the same place!!!

9. 1966 models suppose to be in Left hand drive jeep

10. The stepney originally would have been placed on the right hand side wall above the mudguard.

11. Steering wheel absolute non-jeeper's

12. In some pictures the front seats were from older jeeps and later converted to push back

13. Looks like the front differential is present but not gear levers though. May be not functional 4WD vehicle.

Over all this jeep is a mix and match from RC, Engine, Body parts and other jeep features.

Last edited by trammway : 7th August 2009 at 10:22.
Old 11th August 2009, 19:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

THIS IS A HYDERABAD, HANDMADE REPLICA.
With an RC of another Jeep, the diesel entry on that jeep must have been legally mutated by RTO, as until about ten years back, petrol to diesel conversion was allowed and reflected on papers.
Regards,
Old 11th February 2010, 14:09   #4
BHPian

willys

how do we differentiate the willys from CJ 3B or CJ 5,

did all the willys came with blackout lights.

in my RC book its 1968 willys tourer

can i get the spade and axe for the willys.

i am a 6 footer any other owners face difficulty in driving this low bonnet.
Old 11th February 2010, 15:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Mix-n-Match

Hi Harjeev,

I have observed the following.

1) Front Grille - Willys MB/Ford GPW

2) Wind Screen - CJ2A

3) Tail Gate - CJ3B with Willys tinkered/patched in.

My guess is this is a CJ3B which has been mixed n matched.

Regards,

Arka

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks