Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 09:07   #1
GRV
BHPian

Leaking front differential oil in my grand vitara 2007

Hi,

I found oil leaking from the front part of my 2007 grand vitara.

Took it to Maruti dealer in gurgaon. After inspection they say that Oil is leaking from front differential (It must have got hit during driving) and the whole differential case needs to be changed . leak is very small, come slowly in drops,

The price for the case is 9000/- plus labour plus oil . Since the case is not available , they will send request and it might take 2 weeks for the whole work (and the car will remain in their workshop for the duration)

I am wondering what options I have. Suggested by dealer technician

1. Use M-seal to plug the leak , if it work fine othwise option 2

2. Change the padding inside the differential

3. if nothing works change the whole differential case.

Since cost benefit analysis renders reimbursement by insurance in effective 9reimbursement vs. no claim rebate) ,

I seek your opinion on this. Spoke to sudev and he has given me a name that I will try.

There is no problem in driving as such (but fuel consumption has gone up by 10%, could it be due to this?)

Thanks
GRV
Old 8th August 2009, 09:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Did you find similar issues from any International site on GV?
Old 8th August 2009, 09:34   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Suggest you change the housing. If for any reason the oil level drops too far below you'll grind your diff gears to bits and the end cost would be atleast three times what you would pay now.
Old 8th August 2009, 13:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

You need to find out exactly where it is leaking from. You may not get straight answers from the techs if you ask them. If not, be suspicious. There is a threaded oil filler cap that looks like a bolt head. There is the O-ring(s) where the drive shaft enters into the differential. There are bolts holding the diff cover on. There is a rubber tube (maybe) that vents the diff. Of these, the apperature where the drive shaft enters the diff is the most unfixable. Damage to metal there usually means a new housing, O-rings etc. But you may have only damaged the rubber/plastic seal that encloses the drive shaft as it enters the diff. You need to find out for sure what is leaking.

In order to get damage of that magnitude to break the housing you should remember an incident where you hit something hard or bottomed out badly. Ay????

The diff cover and oil filler hole can be drilled and rethreaded if damaged...maybe.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 8th August 2009 at 13:35.
Old 8th August 2009, 16:22   #5
GRV
BHPian

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I have checked . the leak is coming from the joint where both halves of differential case meet. I guess, there is a rubber / ring between the two halves.

The oil is not leaking from the place where the drive shaft enters the differential.

I was thinking that I will get the padding (rubber between the two halves) changed. But the dealer is insisting that the whole case needs to be changed. i think I will get the case opened to check for any cracks and if a crack if found then go for new case

GRV
Old 9th August 2009, 11:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi,

I found oil leaking from the front part of my 2007 grand vitara.

Took it to Maruti dealer in gurgaon. After inspection they say that Oil is leaking from front differential (It must have got hit during driving) and the whole differential case needs to be changed . leak is very small, come slowly in drops,

The price for the case is 9000/- plus labour plus oil . Since the case is not available , they will send request and it might take 2 weeks for the whole work (and the car will remain in their workshop for the duration)

I am wondering what options I have. Suggested by dealer technician

3. if nothing works change the whole differential case.

Since cost benefit analysis renders reimbursement by insurance in effective 9reimbursement vs. no claim rebate) ,

I seek your opinion on this. Spoke to sudev and he has given me a name that I will try.

There is no problem in driving as such (but fuel consumption has gone up by 10%, could it be due to this?)

Thanks
GRV
Take a close look at the diff housing, and post a couple of pics if possible.

Dont just change a gasket, but add some extra RTV/sealant when re-sealing to a make up for any additional clearance that may have been introduced to a big hit on the housing. Let the sealant cure for 24 hours prior to filling oil (dont be in a hurry).

If it still leaks you may have no choice but to change the housing.

Don't understand why the shop wants to keep your vehicle for 2 weeks while waiting for the housing. Even if there is a slow leak, just top up and keep an eye on the level while waiting for parts. Dont take the risk of having some workshop use your vehicle as a joyride demo car for 2 weeks.
Old 9th August 2009, 11:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

Like the Bulleteers say "She is not leaking oil, she is marking her territory".
On a more serious note, is the vehicle in warranty. If so, check that angle. Do not assume that you hit the diff. Get it inspected. If there are not hit marks, there is a good chance its a defect in the seal or something.
However if not under warranty, then my point is invalid
Old 9th August 2009, 12:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I was thinking that I will get the padding (rubber between the two halves) changed.
GRV
If you need any size of O ring, or seals and cannot get them from the dealer drop me a PM and I might be able to help...
Old 9th August 2009, 12:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oil is leaking from front differential (It must have got hit during driving) and the whole differential case needs to be changed .

IMHO replacing the diff housing is not necessary at all. Taking out the diff, disassembling it, replacing all oil seals and refitting everything should solve your problem. Diff housings don't crack so easily, and even if they do, they can be welded and repaired. Unless you are covered by warranty and don't want the car to be opened outside of MASS, I would suggest you get the job done with a competent private mechanic.

Stopping a leak with M-Seal is a very limited "stop-gap" measure - not a long-term option.
Old 9th August 2009, 16:12   #10
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Like the Bulleteers say "She is not leaking oil, she is marking her territory".
On a more serious note, is the vehicle in warranty. If so, check that angle. Do not assume that you hit the diff. Get it inspected. If there are not hit marks, there is a good chance its a defect in the seal or something.
However if not under warranty, then my point is invalid
This is an interesting observation. My car will complete 2 years in september this year and currently done 24,000 kms. Will check if it is still under warranty.

Thanks
GRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
If you need any size of O ring, or seals and cannot get them from the dealer drop me a PM and I might be able to help...
Thanks a lot Abjij. I will come back in case of need

GRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IMHO replacing the diff housing is not necessary at all. Taking out the diff, disassembling it, replacing all oil seals and refitting everything should solve your problem. Diff housings don't crack so easily, and even if they do, they can be welded and repaired. Unless you are covered by warranty and don't want the car to be opened outside of MASS, I would suggest you get the job done with a competent private mechanic.

Stopping a leak with M-Seal is a very limited "stop-gap" measure - not a long-term option.
You are right. Have used M seal. but no improvement. Now I will take the 2nd option that is open the differential, change the rubber padding and re assemble the differential. Will report the outcome. In parallel also check if my vehicl eis still under waranty

GRV

Last edited by Samurai : 9th August 2009 at 16:33. Reason: please use multi-quote feature
Old 17th August 2009, 20:38   #11
GRV
BHPian

Leaking oil from vitara

Hi

the problem is finally resolved. Yesterday i went to maruti dealer, where I insisted that what ever be the reason, it must be repaired under warranty. The works manager agreed that if differential is found to be cracked then I will hav eto cover the cost otherwise it will be done under warranty

the M seal was removed and differential inspected. No indication of a damage. The are was cleaned and oil leak tested. It was found that oild was not leaking from differential jojnt but from differential seal.

Seal was changed and problem now fixed. Total cost was Rs.1400/- but I did not have to pay anything as it was under warranty

I really wonder that in my first visit I was told that there was no leakage. Week after a lot of inspection and told that Differntial is damaged and needs replacement for the whole case. Week later problem is found elsewhere and fixed

This indicates that even at dealer level workshop, maruti has not done their proper homework for Vitara

GRV
Old 17th August 2009, 20:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the problem is finally resolved.
Glad to know that. And you were so scared about needing to change the diff housing! Even if you were not covered by warranty, the repair would not have cost an arm and a leg...

BTW, is this the same MASS that told you in the first place that the housing needs to be replaced? Would you be at liberty to reveal the name of the MASS?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th August 2009 at 20:47.
Old 19th August 2009, 19:51   #13
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Glad to know that. And you were so scared about needing to change the diff housing! Even if you were not covered by warranty, the repair would not have cost an arm and a leg...

BTW, is this the same MASS that told you in the first place that the housing needs to be replaced? Would you be at liberty to reveal the name of the MASS?
Yes, it is the same Maruti dealer workshop in Gurgaon which first told me that there is no leakage (verbal diagnosis), then Differential damage (written in job card) hence housing replacement needed and finally leakage from the seal that fixed the problem

But I must say that the behaviour of service people was very courteous and friendly
GRV
Old 24th August 2009, 20:48   #14
GRV
BHPian

Differential oil leak : Same problem again within a week

Hi
I reported that after changing the differential seal the problem was resolved.

But the leak started again last Sunday i.e. yesterday. I was in Nainital yesterday and have to drive all the way to delhi with oil leaking. the rate of leak seems to be the same as first leak.

I am puzzled now. From Monday till saturday there was no leak. From Sundaty the leak started. The only difference I can think of is use of H Lock and 4L Lock on Sunday. Could this trigger seal leakage?

Regards
GRV
Old 24th August 2009, 21:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...use of H Lock and 4L Lock on Sunday. Could this trigger seal leakage?
This is highly unusual! No reason why using 4H/4L should trigger another oil leak, unless the seals were improperly seated. The torque movement at the axles may have loosened one (or more) of the oil seals.

Is this from the same place? Or is this a different oil seal which may not have been replaced?

I suspect poor workmanship, or an oil seal that was not changed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks