Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 10:35   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: All questions for CJ 3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
The 3b went to the garage for:
1. electic fan to be fitted in front of the radiator, working out how best to do it.
=============
Any ideas/pictures / suggestions on the effectiveness of the electric fan in front the radiator, similiar to what we used to see in the maruti 800 when the ac was an after market addition.
Check the Thar AC thread, it has details. But how much is it heating up? Do you have radiator shroud around the fan blade?
Old 17th September 2011, 08:23   #212
BHPian

Jaggu it heats up at around non stop 75-100km , such that i have to stop and wait for 5 mins, pour some water and carry on. thats in scorching summer, so the issue is not much when u see it in the 3b perspective. My point was that can it be totally elliminatedd, say if i have a manual fan, i turn it on when the temp begins to creep up-prevention.

Thanks for the link to check on the Thar thread.

Something new cropped up today- missing, black smoke, perhaps as its raining cats and dogs here, some water must have seeped in the spark plug and creating the nuisance, any other ideas/suggestions?
Old 17th September 2011, 10:40   #213
Senior - BHPian

Heating could be due to :

Radiator leak - does the radiator run out of water in a short time say 2 hours ?
Blockage in the radiator - get it thoroughly cleaned by a radiator repair shop
Leakage in rubber hoses - check specially near the clips
Check the fan belt tension
check for leaf or debris jammed in the radiator housing or between grills
If this is not the case then check the water pump and head gasket at a qualified mechanic.

It is better to buy a new PACO carburettor and fuel pump set for CJ3B assuming you have a Hurricane Petrol engine. It is working perfectly on three CJ3B vehicles here in Gurgaon on North India Motorsports and Adventure Club Vehicles.
Old 18th September 2011, 12:52   #214
BHPian

the above issues have been looked into. already.
The heating only happens after non stop 100km driving approx.
NIOC 3b's are well acquainted to me.
My carb and fp are doing great , i am running on solex.

Anyhow starting the hunt for the hidden problem afresh and will be re-loking everything again.

Also on the cards are :
Roll cage
Rally seats with 6 point seat belts
Offroading lights
Water proofing the distributor and the spark plugs
Upgrading the tyres to Big Horns
Old 18th September 2011, 20:07   #215
BHPian

Hi Sharat

Looks like all great CJ3b's think alike. . Mine acts up from time to time especially going up the ghats after a long non stop drive.
If it gets some rest waiting to meet up with other offroaders in McDonalds it works like a charm (almost like the car behaves strangely when going for ice cream problem!)

Do you have a full blown fan shroud with the circular top? That I think will make a difference. Thinking of getting one for myself.
Old 19th September 2011, 20:03   #216
BHPian

My radiator fan has the full shroud.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:53   #217
Team-BHP Support

How is the timing set? and what is the reading? Are you running coolant with overflow tank?
Old 21st September 2011, 06:49   #218
BHPian

I am running on a 4 core new copper radiator and on coolant with a overflow bottle. BUT the overflow bottle is useless as even if the radiator has less water it doesnt suck up from the bottle but I think that when the water expands with heat / movement it overflows into the bottle. The mechanic says that as there is no thermostat so this bottle is ineffective and also a thermostat cannot be installed.
I also note that the water/coolant level goes down after every 40-50km.

Also getting the caliberation of the temp gauge checked today.
Old 21st September 2011, 13:39   #219
BHPian

Quote:
I am running on a 4 core new copper radiator and on coolant with a overflow bottle. BUT the overflow bottle is useless as even if the radiator has less water it doesnt suck up from the bottle but I think that when the water expands with heat / movement it overflows into the bottle. The mechanic says that as there is no thermostat so this bottle is ineffective and also a thermostat cannot be installed.
I also note that the water/coolant level goes down after every 40-50km.

Also getting the caliberation of the temp gauge checked today.
While the engine idles open the radiator cap and see for any bubbles .
When the level of water in the radiator is low, and there is enough water in the bottle , open the bonnet and rev the engine .

If you see bubbles and engine does not suck in water , then its a compression leak
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:02   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am running on a 4 core new copper radiator and on coolant with a overflow bottle. BUT the overflow bottle is useless as even if the radiator has less water it doesnt suck up from the bottle but I think that when the water expands with heat / movement it overflows into the bottle.
There is some issue here, it should work irrespective of thermostat. Check the cap, try to source an original cap from mahindra vehicles, also check where the leakage is, if its spilling out from the overflow tank you would see signs.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:52   #221
BHPian

The radiator had a small leak, got it fixed.
The timing is ok
There is no bubble when idling.

Took the 3b for an otr, did 100kms including the otr, temp was steady between 80 and 100, not a drop of water less in the radiator when i checked the next day. But why 100???even now..

FE was approx 7. Performance great, The tyre upgrade to MT is a must now as is the roll cage.
Old 26th September 2011, 18:55   #222
BHPian

The radiator yet doesnt suck in the water from the bottle, my mech is sure its because there isnt a thermostat. The cap is snug and original to the radiator.
The top radiator hose seems to collapse when the temp is at 100 and the engine is turned off, why?
Old 26th September 2011, 21:58   #223
BHPian

Quote:
The radiator yet doesnt suck in the water from the bottle, my mech is sure its because there isnt a thermostat. The cap is snug and original to the radiator.
The top radiator hose seems to collapse when the temp is at 100 and the engine is turned off, why?
Dude petrol jeep engine does not go beyond 80, 100 is too much and not normal. Your mechanic is giving you bull . 100 will spoil your engine soon.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:38   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Dude petrol jeep engine does not go beyond 80, 100 is too much and not normal. Your mechanic is giving you bull . 100 will spoil your engine soon.
I kind of agree, unless its overheating it does not go beyond 80. First check your meter set up. I have the new electric thermostat meter and under normal driving temp stays between 60-80.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:59   #225
BHPian

Jaggu and Frankestein, thanks. I think first i shall check the meter as if its overheating, the water should have decreased or the mech fuel pump given up...Anyhow i will install a trial temp guage and re-check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks