Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 00:17   #271
BHPian

Re: All questions for CJ 3B

Sowmya thats the problem with the dam solex m34 carb, get the carter yf and check out what the Jeep can do ( quoted by the ledgend UBS sir).

You can make the duck a ostrich
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:12   #272
BHPian

Half full or half empty

The problem cant be the float or fuel level or it would manifest itself at other times not just going down hill.

If fuel level float set too low it would overheat and run badly going uphill.
if fuel level float set too high it would run rich and cut off/run badly and carb would probably overflow when going uphill/downhill.

seems to be fuel starvation, due to the steep incline if the fuel tank line is towards the rear of the tank it might not be getting enough/constant supply of fuel on the down slope
motocamp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:43   #273
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Can be from the tank connection. But I've also seen enough problems with the Solex on steep inclines. Though mainly flooding when going up.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 12:01   #274
BHPian

Hey guys , a 1961 willys cj3b LHD (hurricane) has been converted to 2wd by replacing the GB to i dono which one , but still has the front diff with its internals removed . As somebody told me that a mm540 4wd GB can be fixed to the OE hurricane engine , is it possible . Also how much would it cost for me to buy a 4wd willys front diff with all its internals and how much would a original willys cj3b 4wd 3 speed GB cost.
Old 6th August 2012, 19:52   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Hey guys , a 1961 willys cj3b LHD (hurricane) has been converted to 2wd by replacing the GB to i dono which one , but still has the front diff with its internals removed . As somebody told me that a mm540 4wd GB can be fixed to the OE hurricane engine , is it possible . Also how much would it cost for me to buy a 4wd willys front diff with all its internals and how much would a original willys cj3b 4wd 3 speed GB cost.
@Karizma9292 - i remember my scrap dealer quoting 9K for a serviced 3 Speed 4WD gearbox and 23K for KMT90 GB
DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 19:25   #276
BHPian

Hello everyone! It has been a while since i have posted here and here I am looking for help one more time. As always, i hope I will not go back disappointed from this forum.

My 1972 CJ3b, 4wheel Drive, Lambda Freewheeling Kit, International Diesel - is in dire need of a new engine and gear box.

The existing International Engine and 3+1 gear box are more or less worn out and can be exchanged for whatever value. The engine is one of the oldest models and runs on diesel aided by the wide mesh radiator.

Here is what I am looking at:

An engine gear box combo under 20k
(incuding fitting costs - Severe cash crunch but cant let the jeep lie idle like that)

Four Wheel drive is a must as i take it off the road once in a while.
(Cant let go of the Jeep thing - Ready to use the older gear box if top speed can be increased by some magical combination of gear ratios)

I am also looking at the Fuel economy and top speed issue
(As the Inter engine was returning only 10-12 and also not go faster than 90km - So long trips are very expensive and time consuming)

Given all these concerns, I was told that the Inter - DI engine is the best for my pauper like needs but sourcing one has not been easy.

If any one with a 540 or 550 is going for an engine upgrade, please let me know and I can buy that engine at a reasonable price.

I was also told that the older Bolero engine(XD3P or MDI) might suit my needs but I am not sure about the gear box and also being able to retain the 4wheel option when using these engines.

Any contacts, suggestions, advice are most welcome.

Best regards,
Teja.
Old 11th October 2012, 21:02   #277
BHPian

Best thing for your budget is to go to bahadhurpura, exchange your inter to a better inter and pay the difference. In you budget you will only get ruined better engines.
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 12:01   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Best thing for your budget is to go to bahadhurpura, exchange your inter to a better inter and pay the difference. In you budget you will only get ruined better engines.
Sandeep,

Thanks for the answer man. I am going to Afzalgunj and then Bahadurpura in a couple of days. In fact i tried calling you on that reliance number you had but it was switched off. Good you came up on this post and replied to it.

I was wondering if i could get an Inter-DI (converted or otherwise) and fit it in the jeep. that way, i might be able to get away with just servicing the gearbox... I will check if the Peugot 4+1 gb can be mated to this engine as that has an additional gear and maybe a little more top speed.

Teja
Old 30th October 2012, 23:16   #279
BHPian

Hi Arka, my friend Rahul and I brought a CJ500D. We are contemplating changing the GB from T90 to a KMT90. We r from Vellore; where do we source a KMT90 GB in Chennai and what will it cost us? I've also read of the Warn-ATV overdrive. Is this conversion inferior to the KMT90 in terms of money, modification and difficulty to source? If you know of someone selling a KMT90; let us know at remhobby@gmail.com or call me at 9843295057.
Old 7th March 2013, 22:53   #280
BHPian

Oil pressure gauge swinging wildly

Getting the cj ready for active duty and noticed that the needle of the oil pressure gauge vibrates like crazy. jeep runs fine, pressure increases, but the needle oscillates like a shaman reciting a spell.

My regular mech has gone to his vilage so any pointers where to start would be appreciated. oil levels are normal.

is it a gauge issue or a sending unit issue or something else? More importantly will it harm the engine running like this?
Old 11th March 2013, 18:27   #281
BHPian

@genesis

Is the P-Gauge mechanical/electric, since you mention about the sending unit I presume it's electrical, check the connectors for proper contact. Also which engine is your 3B fitted with?

Chengappa.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:44   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timson View Post
@genesis

Is the P-Gauge mechanical/electric, since you mention about the sending unit I presume it's electrical, check the connectors for proper contact. Also which engine is your 3B fitted with?

Chengappa.
Hurricane.
I am pretty sure it is mechanical. There is only a electric wire for the light as the electric connection.
The oil pan has a big dent from a rock but that should not affect.
Old 19th March 2013, 00:21   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Hurricane.
I am pretty sure it is mechanical. There is only a electric wire for the light as the electric connection.
The oil pan has a big dent from a rock but that should not affect.
If I remember correctly, your jeep would do that when the oil level was slightly low on the dipstick.

The dent may have effected where the oil sits relative to the oil pick up in the sump.

if the oil pump is not getting a steady supply of oil the needle would tend to jump around.

Try topping up another half litre of oil and see if it improves.

The pressure guage is mechanical.

Last edited by motocamp : 19th March 2013 at 00:22.
Old 19th March 2013, 00:32   #284
BHPian

Please look into it seriously,if the pump is not picking up oil continously or the oil is getting aerated this will be really bad for the engine main and journal bearings.
motocamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 20:36   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Please look into it seriously,if the pump is not picking up oil continously or the oil is getting aerated this will be really bad for the engine main and journal bearings.
It was a faulty gauge. Replaced and issue resolved. Now stuck with a lumioscent pricol gauge instead of old school yenkay :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks