Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
hi soumen ,
for sure i will miss the true jeep feel, the thought itself putts me off, but then practicality is taking its toll on me too.
had a tough time sourcing some spares of late ...
Yeah you are right. For occasional offroading hurricane is perfect. But the regular maintenance and sourcing of spares and getting suitable mechanic etc take a lot of time.....not suitable for a daily or frequent driver, particularly when you yourself have to run around for it. Isuzu, though doesn't belong to that class, is lot more practical and hassle free.
Quote:
saw ur jeep at clasic when u had sent it after ur trip.
Greasing was due for a long time. And some regular kind of minor checks were needed after two back to back weekend trips of approx 1200 km..
Old 1st March 2010, 10:50   #77
BHPian

jeep finally in for a complete engine overhaul while retaining the hurricane after lots of deliberation and thought.
also changing the diff ratios .

when the head of my engine was opened i realized what a mess my engine was and could not resist calling choicest of names for the previous owner who had presumably got the engine rebuilt 2000km back and self proclaimed guru .

the began bearings(if thats what it is called), cam shaft , valves, rings, seals , pistons, and a new liner is what goes in .

now i can firmy advice everyone that if u can manage to tap a good workshop then even if they charge some extra thats the place to get ur jeep to rather than all these small time mechanics and also the fly by night jeep gurus, who talk all big and deliver crap. .....

the estimate i have got is about 15 to 20 k .

any one know of a brand by the name of goetz for engine components
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:26   #78
BHPian

Yup,goetz is a brand which makes some parts for the petrol jeep like pistons etc.I guess its not about the size of the workshop,the dedication and the intention of the workshop is more important.I've done soumen's jeep and we have been doing some major travelling on it with no glitches at all.I firmly believe that knowledge and experience does not comes to you overnight or in two or three years,it comes by experience which takes years,even if the workshop has one or two odd people working.The experience should be there.Anyhow,this is another learning experience for you.
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:10   #79
BHPian

the engine should be finished with the lathe machine job by tomorrow,
the new pistons and rings and cam shaft have come today , rest shall be here by noon tomorrow.
fortunately the block is fine and no major damage done here. on closer inspection of the stuff that came off we found that 2 valves were so bad that virtually getting their respective cylinders working would have been impossible, also with oil in them, god knows how this engine was pulling my jeep at all.
photos i shall upload tomorrow.

mandeep: learning experience till now have been far too many.
over the past 2 years.
i agree that having an experienced hand helps but also to have the right infrastructure is important to get ur knowledge n experience into work , on a routine basis. to have trained guys at all jobs is essential , u alone cant be running all over the place all the time. anyhow letting byegones be byegones looking forward to getting my jeep into a state i desire it to be .

i was wondering wether to change the dif ratios or go in for a ovrdrive gear , cost irrespective, just on merits we can add the cost angle later.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hi Doc, im a complete novice when it comes to Jeeps but since i am in the same boat as many of us here, i.e. owning a CJ and doing it up, i have learnt some things along the ownership experience. So im no experienced hand at Jeeps.

It might not be so easy to make changes as regards to adding an overdrive, simply because its an SWB and there is just not enough inches under belly to make that change and this is without taking the cost factor into account which will no doubt be astronomical.

Re the change in differential ratios i have the following to say, if you have a problem sourcing a mechanic to maintain your CJ, it will be more than difficult to get one who will be able to manage this feat. Let it be original, less hassles, lesser headache.

For really deep technical advice i would turn to UBS aka Mr. Uday Bhan Singh, Dhabhar.Behram, aka Mr. Behram Dhabhar or EX670 aka Arka amongst many Jeep gurus on the forum. Some of them might be modest and say they are no guru but dont believe them, you can trust their advice completely. I would and do.

P.S. I just love the way your Jeep looks. It is such a relief to see a non Military Green coloured Jeep around
Old 4th March 2010, 16:47   #81
BHPian

white adds some classic charm to the jeep , as i thought , also olive green is color that could land u in trouble if caught , without the army BA number .

i spoke to siva about the overdrive gear and he swears by it. tryting to get the facts and costs as of now

i dont think the diff ratios change is too technical work...kindly correct me if i am wrong , i presume its just a swap.
Old 7th March 2010, 08:15   #82
BHPian

pictures of the stuff

attaching some pictures , taken in sequence of the parts taken out and the new parts procured.

old parts were cleaned , unfortunately before i reached. so they are not depective of the true state

new components sourced are all original m&m, not from oem vendors. al things other than the piston rings have been acqiured, the mechanic is fussy about getting onlythe rings without the springs but with chrome-nickel patti on them , so hopefully the assembling should start tomorrow once they come. also not in the pictures is complete seal set .
Attached Thumbnails
All questions for CJ 3B-img_1047.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_1048.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_1052.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_1055.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_1058.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_1059.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_1060.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-img_1061.jpg  

Old 7th March 2010, 21:41   #83
BHPian

Quote:
jeep finally in for a complete engine overhaul while retaining the hurricane after lots of deliberation and thought.
also changing the diff ratios .

when the head of my engine was opened i realized what a mess my engine was and could not resist calling choicest of names for the previous owner who had presumably got the engine rebuilt 2000km back and self proclaimed guru .

the began bearings(if thats what it is called), cam shaft , valves, rings, seals , pistons, and a new liner is what goes in .

now i can firmy advice everyone that if u can manage to tap a good workshop then even if they charge some extra thats the place to get ur jeep to rather than all these small time mechanics and also the fly by night jeep gurus, who talk all big and deliver crap. .....

the estimate i have got is about 15 to 20 k .

any one know of a brand by the name of goetz for engine components
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
Yup,goetz is a brand which makes some parts for the petrol jeep like pistons etc.I guess its not about the size of the workshop,the dedication and the intention of the workshop is more important.I've done soumen's jeep and we have been doing some major travelling on it with no glitches at all.I firmly believe that knowledge and experience does not comes to you overnight or in two or three years,it comes by experience which takes years,even if the workshop has one or two odd people working.The experience should be there.Anyhow,this is another learning experience for you.

Even though I am not inclined towards washing dirty laundry on a public forum, I still think I would say my part. Sharat, I don't know what you have heard about me but I am no where an expert on Jeeps let alone a self proclaimed Jeep Guru. Its just that I happened to have a good mechanic working with me for certain time period and people liked his work. I only know what an average owner of these vehicles will learn over the time.

As far as my claim about rebuilding the engine 2000 Kms back, I always told you that it just had a ring job done. This too was done on the personal suggestion of the revered Mr. Renegade here. It was his experience and insight about the jeeps and mechanics which helped me get such an outstanding work done on my first Jeep and pass it on to you. He selected the mechanic and spent endless days with me at his workshop in Mayapuri teaching me nitty gritties of owning and rebuilding Jeeps.

I wish I was able to learn a few things from him when I had the Chance.

Thanks and regards

Thats all
Old 10th March 2010, 17:11   #84
BHPian

the engine is now up and about, whole proces of putting the pieces back was quite exciting to watch , the mechanics know blindly what they are doing yet make double sure. it was very much a learning and rewarding process to sit through the half day there,

the engine has been mounted back.

got new condensor,point and the spark plugs and their wires as well. also put in a new carb and fuel pump. the radiator was put through a clean up and checked.

should have the jeep back by tomorrow morning for starting the run in of about a 1000km.MY JEEPING DAYS ARE BACK AGAIN. i cant wait to drive my baby again after hearing the purr today.

i believe the orignal seals are quite rare and unavailable mostly, so what is the improvisation used by others?
Old 10th March 2010, 19:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

Congrats sharat on completing the re-build!

So finally what is the total billed amount! As you are aware that I too am pushing behind small small work which need to be done on my CJ3B so would have to take the vehicle to a workshop quite soon, if I do not sell her first!!!
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:44   #86
BHPian

i have been driving as if the world will end tomorrow, already 500km up.

some new queries i got:

1. after 40kmph the whine of the gear box, is there a way to cut it down?
2. i wish to have a rear mirror for the left , but am unable to place it correctly , as in to allow me to look at the mirror even when the door flap is rolled to the front, so is a mirror of the left fender a good idea? has anyone done it? like the ones we see on the fortuner front .
3. does a return line for fuel have big implication? i havent got one? also dont have much understanding about it. why should there be a return when the carb is well tuned and no fuel over problems?

harjeev, its great to see u enjoying your ride now and specially since we salvaged it from a sell it today state of mind. get a new top, and lets plan out the roll cage
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
harjeev, its great to see u enjoying your ride now and specially since we salvaged it from a sell it today state of mind. get a new top, and lets plan out the roll cage
Its lovely and I totally agree with you. The guys has competely changed the feel of the vehicle

I am compiling a list of to do's and will send her back after I complete 500-600 kms!!!! Havend getting much time these days, will upload a complete report on my thread shortly

Just love the feel of the vehicle now.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:17   #88
Team-BHP Support

@docfreak: Check out my thread, BD has given a detailed post on installation of return line. This by itself is a project so do it with good amount of preparation. For now leave it as it is, if its not giving you any problem.

Regarding RVM am also searching for some ideas, right now stuck with autorickshaw piece or the Tata ACE truck thingie (ideas from the drive from garage to home just few minutes back)
Old 24th March 2010, 18:38   #89
BHPian

jaggu, what is the problem that we can expect if there is no return line? and is it needed when the carb is well tuned , in the first place.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:45   #90
Team-BHP Support

Flooding if the pumping is more than required, which will result in problematic start ups. Might not really be an issue while running, and these symptoms can crop up at long idle's or hot starts, at a signal etc.

How are you running the pump? Always ON or has it been kept as a back up?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks