Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2020, 18:20   #46
BHPian

Re: CJ3B & CL340 CJ340 (Mechanical Differences & Similarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Hi Team,

I'm more of a petrol head and not fully a jeep guy though have learnt driving and driven extensively my grandfather jeep in 90's (MDI, MM540, Commander etc,) for a decade during my school and college days. Left jeeps then and game moved to era of zen and Type 2 honda city, Baleno etc.

Now I'm looking back to own a genuine jeep (probably rare one's like CJ3B or CJ340). The short chassis by whichever technical words and names you speak, looking for a rare and rarest jeep to add to my garage. I don't like chrome too much in a jeep, hence ruled out Classic from my list, and it wouldn't look a classic without all those chrome and fittings. My wish is simple - add a rarest of rare jeep to my collectible and weekend ride once in a while, preferably a 4 X 4 so that can use some time in Kerala, Wayanad and basic level offroading purpose

Have come across one claiming CJ3B but in RC the following are depicted (all XXXX denotes numerals masked) as useful info. I could not get details of wheelbase and HP from the RC Card. I want to know the vehicle is genuine CJ3B or not if then which is this model. Added few pics of engine, Gearbox, bottom of vehicle. If you still need more pics I can add for some interiors and exterior one's, on request. Please help me folks, game on for the wonderful Jeep experts

Chassis No : CJ500D476XXXXX
Engine No : DBOXXXX
Reg Year : 1976
No of Cyl : 4
Unladen Weight : 1210
CC: 1906

Attached pics for reference.
From Chassis No itself its very clear that the document given is NOT of a CJ3B!
This is a major issue these days! Most of the CJ3Bs that is 30+ years old doesn't live with its original RC now! Even this run on a CJ500D Document.
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
From Chassis No itself its very clear that the document given is NOT of a CJ3B!
This is a major issue these days! Most of the CJ3Bs that is 30+ years old doesn't live with its original RC now! Even this run on a CJ500D Document.

Agree that vehicles which crossed 15 years would hardly have the copy of original "RC Book" as we call, very rare. As most will be updated as smart card and documentation can go wrong anywhere in that Card So the conclusion is this is not a CJ3B vehicle ? I got a bit confused by the last statement - Is it that all CJ3B or most of them runs on a CJ500D document ? Considering the document may be incorrect or updated as CJ500, by the mechanical aspects and figuring out looking at engine and under-body can we conclude that it is CJ500 ? I could not physically inspect the vehicle due to current scenario, but the owner claims it as CJ3B and mentioned in the RC card it was updated as CJ500 for easier documentation purpose. Seller even mentioned that is a WAR jeep, so in order to prevent any issues in future it was updated like that.
Old 4th August 2020, 23:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Agree that vehicles which crossed 15 years would hardly have the copy of original "RC Book" as we call, very rare. As most will be updated as smart card and documentation can go wrong anywhere in that Card So the conclusion is this is not a CJ3B vehicle ? I got a bit confused by the last statement - Is it that all CJ3B or most of them runs on a CJ500D document ? Considering the document may be incorrect or updated as CJ500, by the mechanical aspects and figuring out looking at engine and under-body can we conclude that it is CJ500 ? I could not physically inspect the vehicle due to current scenario, but the owner claims it as CJ3B and mentioned in the RC card it was updated as CJ500 for easier documentation purpose. Seller even mentioned that is a WAR jeep, so in order to prevent any issues in future it was updated like that.
This cannot be an error happened at RTO anyways!
Either the owner lost original at one point of time and sought document of a scrapped jeep to keep using this jeep OR did the same to avoid hassles at RTO after dieseling the jeep! This is what generally happens with these kind of old vehicles.
Old 5th August 2020, 10:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
Documents doesn't seems to be genuine and so unable to makeup whether its a CJ3B or CJ340!
Awaiting expert advise on this topic. TIA
For CJ340 Chassis number starts from CJ340 also CJ340 was in the market from 1988-89 to 1994-95
Chassis numbers for all mahindra Jeeps used to start from model number (CJ340/CL340 etc.)

Most Viewed