Team-BHP - Gypsy throttle - a technical question
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Gypsy throttle - a technical question (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/65153-gypsy-throttle-technical-question.html)

Need the opinion of the many Gypsy experts we have on Team BHP.

When my Gypsy MG413 W, MPFI, 2004 model, arrived two weeks ago, I discovered a throttle problem. The engine use to race too much and the throttle was stuck.

When taken to a workshop, it was discovered that two screws on the trottle body cover had fallen off and the body cover was broken. It was replaced at a cost of Rs. 1200.

The problem was solved momentarily. However last Sunday on an OTR with NIOC when I drove it off road for the first time, on the return leg, two things happened.

The Speedometer stopped working ( and the odometer ) and the yellow light on the top of the dashboard, I guess throttle body light lit up. It remains permanently lit up.

A mechanic ( not Maruti authorised service centre, but the neighbourhood guy ) says it is because of the speedometer cable, but I dont think so, it is more to do with the trottle body in the MPFI. The vehicle also stalls when going over tough terrain in 1st gear, H or L.

What should I do ?

What are the likely causes of this indicator light lit up permanently ? Any suggestions please ?

Shahid

Shahid
That is the check engine light. It usually comes on when some MPFI sensor malfunctions or senses a problem.
Take it to any MASS they will plug it into their computer and tell you why it is coming on.

Cheers
GB

Sure, will do that.

Shahid

It's Catalytic converter issue if the malfunction lights comes up. Just go to good MASS they will rectify it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertfox (Post 1474733)
The Speedometer stopped working ( and the odometer ) and the yellow light on the top of the dashboard, I guess throttle body light lit up. It remains permanently lit up.

A mechanic ( not Maruti authorised service centre, but the neighbourhood guy ) says it is because of the speedometer cable, but I dont think so, it is more to do with the trottle body in the MPFI. The vehicle also stalls when going over tough terrain in 1st gear, H or L.

What should I do ?

What are the likely causes of this indicator light lit up permanently ? Any suggestions please ?

Shahid

Shahid,
There is a sensor in the instrument panel on the spindle of the speedometer needle. If your speedometer cable breaks then the sensor would not send a signal to the ECM leading to a check engine light.

Regarding the throttle body, what part did you change?
The front part which houses the butterfly and the sensors?
If so, did you get the throttle position sensor synchronised with the TechII connected?

maybe these 2 images could help in diagnostics. (courtesy amitpujnani from this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...king-mpfi.html)

Name:  sensorcodesmg413wk9.png
Views: 19514
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  gypsykingpl7.png
Views: 10933
Size:  50.2 KB

And to get to this diagnostic mode all you have to do is insert a fuse in the "DIAG" slot in the fuse box just below the dash on the right hand side
and switch on the ignition and read the number of times the check engine light blinks.
A 1-2 code or 12 means all is good.
For the rest look up the excellent chart posted by Khan_sultan.

Cheers

I will take it to a Maruti Approved Service Centre tomorrow.

The Speedo cable is nt available in Gurgaon, and is removed currently. This could be a possible cause of the Engine diagnose light lit up.

The MPFI also needs proper tuning. The vehicles idling speed is not in tune right now.

Its been raining non stop since last night, a welcome change in Gurgaon, but most of the roads are flooded. Very little work got done here today.

need to get this fixed fast for there is an NIOC OTR on Saturday, Sep 12!

Went to a MASS right opposite my house. Tuning and cleaning done, all setting and diagnostics done, problem is solved, except that the with the new speedometer cable the speedometer needle is jerking constantly, which is very irritating while driving.

Iam little confused about the tuning part.
what all did they do to tune the mpfi engine?

Its better to check and tighten all bolts and nuts after each offroad trips.:)

They tuned and fixed the engine timing, cleaned the fuel injector and plugs. But I am not 100 % satisfied. The vehicle still stalls in 1st gear when tackling an obstacle off road like a rock or some bad terrain where the progress is slow.

As for me my position is not fully set on the Gypsy yet, specially the ackward throttle pedal position.

Need some other repairs too. The speedometer cable replaced ( non GP, as GP is not available in Gurgaon, the home of Maruti Suzuki!) is not functioning properly. The Speedo needle is flickering all the time.

Ordered an original cable today. Also an original instrument panel for Rs. 1300 odd.

Need to get the driver seat repaired, its a very funny feeling when the seat cusion and back that are loose, keep shifting their position. I was more comfortable in the Cj3B to be honest.

Any updates?
Have u fixed the new instrument panel?

No still not done, the Maruti Original spares dealer is yet to get a Maruti GP speedometer cable and instrument panel for me. Otherwise the Gypsy is doing perfect, the throttle problem is solved.

I have also found the correct offroad tyres to go on these 15 x 7.5 inch alloy rims, the best possible is YOKOHAMA Geolander AT/S 235/75 R15 at Rs. 5250 each. ( Tubeless ).

The local dealer here has even offered a price to take back the Hankook Dynamic 255/70/ R 15 tyres currently on it.

First time ever I have to shell out money to buy offroad tyres, I had got used to the concept of free tyres and many sets from Toyo earlier and Dunlop later in the UAE!

As for the seat, the slider needs changing, a 2nd hand one is available for Rs. 400 in Mayapuri. Couldn't buy it because all shops in Mayapuri were shut on Oct 2.