Team-BHP - Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/68612-hard-tops-offroaders-jeeps-gypsys-more.html)

Jeep tops are an important component for any vehicle with off road intentions. A person may want to fabricate/buy a hard top for his jeep for a number of reasons such as security and comfort. The trade off is weight and the potential for upsetting the handling and stability of the vehicle.

Here are a couple of samples. The first is Redmm340's Scorpio powered bomb, aluminum top if I recall. The second is just a rear door add on to an Invader. I have seen this rear door approach on several mm540's.

What I am hoping to elicit are posts by members who have fabricated or bought hard tops for their jeeps. I would like to know how they did it, the considerations, the cost, and just about anything else of interest.

I wanted to change the fiber hard top of my old gypsy and have done some market search in 2007. That time Aluminum cabins(3/4 cabins) for Gypsy costs 30k max including installation & painting. This included a full rear windscreen.

This is my favorite Gyspy hard top( see video)

YouTube - GYPSY MARUTI SUZUKI OFF ROAD INDIA KERALA JEEP 2009

DD that rear door on invader. :deadhorse

DD,
Check out the clasified section of team bhp. There was a 2wd Invader for sale with hard top. I feel the job done on it is good. You can follow that option. Ask mahindra if they offer some custom design for invaders. Write in to Mahindra customisation for better clarity.

Get in touch with 4x4 addict, he is getting his custom hard top done on his MM540. He too can give good info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1563911)
DD,
Check out the clasified section of team bhp. There was a 2wd Invader for sale with hard top. I feel the job done on it is good. You can follow that option.

I think you are referring to the advert that I have posted. Unfortunately I am unable to find the pic. Will have them here soon.

Apologies for the back to back post. Here they are.

If my plan is going to workout properly, i may go for a Hard top conversion by December. My ref point is RedMM340's 550. I think it's executed nicely. Only doubt is, what is the best way to paint Aluminum. There was an excellent hard top for MM5XX manufactured by Roplas. But it's not available anymore. There was a Jeep belonged to Akeel which had this top, the thread is somewhere in this forum.

Thanks
--Sree--

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan (Post 1563976)
If my plan is going to workout properly, i may go for a Hard top conversion by December. My ref point is RedMM340's 550. I think it's executed nicely. Only doubt is, what is the best way to paint Aluminum. There was an excellent hard top for MM5XX manufactured by Roplas. But it's not available anymore. There was a Jeep belonged to Akeel which had this top, the thread is somewhere in this forum.

Thanks
--Sree--

Sree, I think jeeps look best with the soft hoods. In Coonoor even when its freezing my you know what off never did I think once to get a hard top done.

The overall ride quality is affected too. The Invader has an aluminum body and the black is not paint, its a kind of sticker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejay (Post 1563988)
Sree, I think jeeps look best with the soft hoods. In Coonoor even when its freezing my you know what off never did I think once to get a hard top done.

Many of us have gone beyond caring for looks. We want to make our Jeeps family friendly, and secure. Looks are secondary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1564011)
Many of us have gone beyond caring for looks. We want to make our Jeeps family friendly, and secure. Looks are secondary.

that suddenly reminds me of the snake incident. yes, safety is very important when in deep woods.

Jeep wrangler in US comes with hard tops, I think made of fiber. no such possibilities in india?

In India, gypsy comes with a hard top (optional) made of fiber from the manufacturer.

Quote:

Many of us have gone beyond caring for looks.

Something about that is funny.:D
I still have some time left to roam around topless.

There is no denying the fact that hard tops make more sense and are very practical.

Jeeps obviously look cool with soft tops, especially the ones with the scissor bars where the sides and back are open. But the reality for most of us who live in the metros is a different story. I don't care whether my jeep looks cool or not, I want the cabin air-conditioned and the dust and grime out of the interiors.

The hard top work on my MM540 is going on. I have lopped off about 3 inches from the windshield frame and the B-pillar to give it a lower wranger look. I am using the third row glass from the qualis for the sides and rear glass from the Scorpio for the rear hatch door. The tire carrier will be a separate swing out unit. To keep the weight managable, I have gone for a steel frame and aluminum body. It is more complicated than a steel hard top as the aluminum has to be riveted together onto the steel subframe. It is much easier/cost effective to do it in sheet metal.

Kurien has promised to have the jeep ready by this month end and i can post some pics after the work is complete.

Quote:

+1 to that. Adding to this, for time being, My jeep is the only vehicle i have for my family needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 1564026)
that suddenly reminds me of the snake incident. yes, safety is very important when in deep woods.

Jeep wrangler in US comes with hard tops, I think made of fiber. no such possibilities in india?

Roplas used to make some excellent FRP tops Vivek (Not the soapbox ones which you see in Govt Jeeps). But that company is locked out now :deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1565135)
Jeeps obviously look cool with soft tops, especially the ones with the scissor bars where the sides and back are open. But the reality for most of us who live in the metros is a different story. I don't care whether my jeep looks cool or not, I want the cabin air-conditioned and the dust and grime out of the interiors.

The hard top work on my MM540 is going on. I have lopped off about 3 inches from the windshield frame and the B-pillar to give it a lower wranger look. I am using the third row glass from the qualis for the sides and rear glass from the Scorpio for the rear hatch door. The tire carrier will be a separate swing out unit. To keep the weight managable, I have gone for a steel frame and aluminum body. It is more complicated than a steel hard top as the aluminum has to be riveted together onto the steel subframe. It is much easier/cost effective to do it in sheet metal.

Kurien has promised to have the jeep ready by this month end and i can post some pics after the work is complete.

Eagerly waiting for the results Tini, as you suggested, steel can be the cheapest way. I thought about getting a scrap body of Armada and use the top and rear door (and somehow adjust the length of top to aligh with Jeeps's length). Separate spare mount is an excellent idea. I have one doubt regarding lowering the height, i am sure it will look nice. But don't you think that head room for rear passengers will reduce a lot? Please clarify.

Thanks
--Sree--

Hi,

What about a Wrangler hard top... Is it possitble to install with some slight modification on a 540 tub? I think the tub width is same to a 540 but what about the length ???

Look here this is also of RedMM340. Nice job i would say http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...y-use-car.html

Thanks
--Sree--