Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:01   #31
BHPian

Couple of questions:
I am planning to fit in a second battery to run some equipment without drying out the main battery. I have a Amaron 45AH main battery and have bought a 35AH Amaron for use as a secondary battery.

What is the right way to connect the 2nd battery? My mech tells me we will have to connect the 2nd battery to the alternator in parallel via some kind of diode. Is this the right way?

I dont have any jazzy lights installed on my gypsy and 99% of the use being in the daytime, i dont run the main lights or any other electricals either. Given this, Can the stock Gypsy MPFI alternator provide enough juice to charge both the main battery and the secondary 55AH type battery? Or should I upgrade the alternator? Suggestions for alternator upgrade?

Instead of the 35AH Amaron, would it make sense to go for one of those deep-cycle type batteries? Suggestions on make/brand to go for?

There is place on the left side under the bonnet of the gypsy for the second battery. Space is just about enough for another 45AH type battery.

PS: While window shopping yesterday i saw Optima Yellow Top type being sold at the Amaron dealer (the one next to Darshan Auto on FC Road). Retail for around 13k. Are these old/refurbished batteries?

Last edited by COUGAR : 3rd August 2010 at 09:03.
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:20   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Couple of questions:
I am planning to fit in a second battery to run some equipment without drying out the main battery. I have a Amaron 45AH main battery and have bought a 35AH Amaron for use as a secondary battery.

What is the right way to connect the 2nd battery? My mech tells me we will have to connect the 2nd battery to the alternator in parallel via some kind of diode. Is this the right way?

I dont have any jazzy lights installed on my gypsy and 99% of the use being in the daytime, i dont run the main lights or any other electricals either. Given this, Can the stock Gypsy MPFI alternator provide enough juice to charge both the main battery and the secondary 55AH type battery? Or should I upgrade the alternator? Suggestions for alternator upgrade?

Instead of the 35AH Amaron, would it make sense to go for one of those deep-cycle type batteries? Suggestions on make/brand to go for?

There is place on the left side under the bonnet of the gypsy for the second battery. Space is just about enough for another 45AH type battery.

PS: While window shopping yesterday i saw Optima Yellow Top type being sold at the Amaron dealer (the one next to Darshan Auto on FC Road). Retail for around 13k. Are these old/refurbished batteries?
Hello , the unit you require for this purpose is called as Split charger( or something like that )
The setup is like this
1) alternator, ( if you are not running a winch then the standard one ( that came with your car is OK )
2) split charge unit
3) Battery No. 1 ( primary) dedicated for starter & standard wiring functions ( standard equipment with the car )
4) Battery No. 2 ( secondary) for all other acc./loads

In short the alternator charges the primary battery first & then the secondary thus eleminating your chances of getting stuck without a charged battery.

Optimas are deep cycle batteries are heavier But also provide sustained service .
Yours Sudarshan
P.S. I have purchased a optima yello top from the same dealer ( 5 years back & running well ), just ask him about a Valid Receipt & warranty. ( didnt provide a warranty to me )

Last edited by Sudarshan : 3rd August 2010 at 09:25.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Hello , the unit you require for this purpose is called as Split charger( or something like that )
Now where do i get this split charger?

what about the mech's idea of using an additional diode similar to the kind that is already present apparently between the battery and the alternator?
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:21   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Now where do i get this split charger?

what about the mech's idea of using an additional diode similar to the kind that is already present apparently between the battery and the alternator?
I will try & find this 'split charge/ battery isoletor ' & tell you. I think it is not made here in India , needs to be imported.

Many people who have installed winches have dual battery setup. One for engine start & vehicle and another for the winch only . In this setup an alternator suggested is 100 + Amps & this isoletor is used alongwith. Starter is connected to battery 1 & winch to battery 2.

I dont know what your ' mech ' is up to . Couldnt get clear idea .

I am not an engineer but can tell on 'experiance' bassis .

Yours Sudarshan
Old 7th December 2010, 09:35   #35
BANNED

Up date from my side

Update , dec 2010

My optima yellow top died ,( may her soul rest in scrap )

Now I am in search for a new one . does anyone have 'Current source '?

My experiance of use

1) It lasted for five + years ( 12000 / 5 years = 2400 INR per year )( it could have been 1200 INR per year for any normal amron/exide ,but no winch )
2) modrate loading normal starting , medium use for winch ( not heavy ,but specially at the last stages of its life )
3) Didnt insist on warrenty documents ( though I had a kind of receipt/delivery note ) ,now I think should have had insisted ( but will in future).
4) The claim of its double life ,than the normal battery is ' not true ' in my case as every other battery I used lasted for 4 years with 'my' vehicles & use pattern .The only difference is I didnt use any winching with the other batteries (exide & amron )
5) I experianced very good cranking power (speed ) & fast charging ,compared to other battery on the same vehicle (factors for consideration are load, alternator & starter )

my conclusion , any other normal battery dosent work good with winch .
I will again bet on Optima but more cautiosly ( their claims of life warrenty etc .)
I think I will need an upgraded alternetor ( minimum of 90 amps,the current one is 40 amps ) to ease load of 10,000 pound winch ( 400+ amps )

Trying to study more on winch loads & battery type.

Will share more if I find some more material

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 7th December 2010 at 09:39.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:59   #36
Team-BHP Support

Farm equipment battery, that is the best choice for 4x4's. Amaraon has a line up Amara Raja - Automotive - Harvest
Old 7th December 2010, 12:44   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Farm equipment battery, that is the best choice for 4x4's. Amaraon has a line up Amara Raja - Automotive - Harvest
there are so many regular brands available in 75 to 90 amp/hr range which go into tractors to 407's to 207's & all jeeps .

I think any battery ( above mentioned class )which is firmly mounted in the bracket ( not allowed to shake or bump ) will do most of the 4x4 needs ( except extreme )

But I require a battery which can handle a winch operation & that means a minimum requirement of 600 Amps of CCA ( cold cranking amps )

No normal battery does this job . it either dosent work ( pull ) or dosent last much after few operations .

So the only choice is a 'deep cycle & starter ' battery
having a 600+ CCA .

to my knowledge the Optima yellow top D31 ( which I had ) was/is the only option ( here in India )

In conclusion I am looking for Optima ( which is not currently available ) OR any other alternative .

Sudarshan
Old 7th December 2010, 13:03   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
there are so many regular brands available in 75 to 90 amp/hr range which go into tractors to 407's to 207's & all jeeps .
===========
In conclusion I am looking for Optima ( which is not currently available ) OR any other alternative .

Sudarshan
Just a doubt. I have seen some guys use regular battery, even puny gypsy batteries powering the winch with engine running. Does that mean that winch is not putting out the best output that it can?

Did you check with Amaron for Optima? Site still shows the product.
Old 7th December 2010, 21:27   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just a doubt. I have seen some guys use regular battery, even puny gypsy batteries powering the winch with engine running. Does that mean that winch is not putting out the best output that it can?

Did you check with Amaron for Optima? Site still shows the product.
I have used a normal Jeep battery once, ( exide E 88 ) to run this winch I had . The results were not good ,it got heavyly discharged .In comparison the yellow top Optima takes less time to recover & even starts the vehicle after a modrate winching effort .

also , people are sugesting not to use normal batteries ( because they dont stand/last long/perform ) So I have not tried a normal battery again . In adddition I dont find a normmal battery having 600 CCA ratings .

frankly I kept away from using a normal battery due to the risk of loosing a battery ( which I cant afford for trials sake )

Now I have a vehicle that has a weight of 2.2 tons ( 60 liters of diesel in tank + all my tools,Jacks, rope slings & gear + a stepney + all my touring gear ) & a 10,000 pound capacity winch ,which requires a battery of atleast 600 CCA of current ( as per manufacturer ,Warn )

So now I really dont seem to have more choice ,either Optima or something equal

BTW I am checking on various levels about Optima

Lastly everything depends on how much current the winch takes on full load or it is specified by the winch maker. I think this is the final test .It will be safer to go by the manufacturers recomendations .

I really cant comment on other makes of winches/models as I dont have first hand experiance of running them on 'normal batteries' , but it looks unlikely for a normal battery to operate any winch properly without adverse effects .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 7th December 2010 at 21:43.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:52   #40
BHPian

Re: Amaron Optima Yellow Top: Can they be used for off-roading?

Hi,

Has anyone heard of dual output alternator? I believe the dual output helps in charging two batteries at same time. Maybe one of the batteries could be connected to run the winch and yet save on the juices of other to power the self starter and other applications? Folks do share whether such a dual output alternator is indeed available. Saves on the yellow or whatever top.

Warm Regards
Grace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2010, 06:42   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Hi,

Has anyone heard of dual output alternator? I believe the dual output helps in charging two batteries at same time. Maybe one of the batteries could be connected to run the winch and yet save on the juices of other to power the self starter and other applications? Folks do share whether such a dual output alternator is indeed available. Saves on the yellow or whatever top.

Warm Regards
The Question here is not about battery charging ,its about a battery being suitable to a particular type of winch ( warn M 10000) ,which requires a specific minimum ammount of cold cranking amps & the battery lasting normally with this operation.Please refer posts # 32,35,37,39 from above .( for further clarification )

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 13th December 2010 at 06:45.
Old 13th November 2019, 19:23   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi Friends
My MM 550 Winch is Not Working Properly From Our last OTR, When i called Mr.Narayan my Warn Dealer He Told Me Its Not Winch, its the Battery which Giving Problem, He Advised to Change the Battery To A Deep Cycle Battery, Like Optima Yellow Top 75 AH, Now The Search Started Some How I Find a dealer he can Supply Me the So Called Yellow Top But His Quote Oh No Its 22k, Is It Really that Expensive? i don't Know Because he is the only one who gave a Quote, Any BHPians Recently Upgraded to this Kind Of Battery? and is it really Worth Paying That Much of Money For A Battery its almost 3 times the cost of Ordinary Battery Your Suggestions Please.

Sir, yes its must for offroading. every RFC vehicle today runs on Optima. you can buy it here https://www.swastikfabs.in/index.php...tegory&path=82
Old 13th November 2019, 19:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Sir, yes its must for offroading. every RFC vehicle today runs on Optima. you can buy it here https://www.swastikfabs.in/index.php...tegory&path=82
The guy you quoted is the guy who owns the shop on the link you pasted.
Old 13th November 2019, 19:39   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The guy you quoted is the guy who owns the shop on the link you pasted.
He would obviously know, he is just kidding. star_aqua is former Bosch man turned agriculturist and part of BODA.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 19:41   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He would obviously know, he is just kidding. star_aqua is former Bosch man turned agriculturist and part of BODA.
I know this fellow very well indeed. Been asleep like father time all this while looks like.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed