Team-BHP - Amaron Optima Yellow Top: Can they be used for off-roading?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Amaron Optima Yellow Top: Can they be used for off-roading? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/69349-amaron-optima-yellow-top-can-they-used-off-roading.html)

Hi Friends
My MM 550 Winch is Not Working Properly From Our last OTR, When i called Mr.Narayan my Warn Dealer He Told Me Its Not Winch, its the Battery which Giving Problem, He Advised to Change the Battery To A Deep Cycle Battery, Like Optima Yellow Top 75 AH, Now The Search Started Some How I Find a dealer he can Supply Me the So Called Yellow Top But His Quote Oh No Its 22k, Is It Really that Expensive? i don't Know Because he is the only one who gave a Quote, Any BHPians Recently Upgraded to this Kind Of Battery? and is it really Worth Paying That Much of Money For A Battery its almost 3 times the cost of Ordinary Battery Your Suggestions Please.

Viji
Do speak to your mechanic and find out the feasibility of putting in 2 batteries - The cost should be substantially lesser.
I have read somewhere that this is a good option for vehicles with winches.

Cheers
GB

Quote:

Originally Posted by swastikviji (Post 1582067)
Hi Friends
My MM 550 Winch is Not Working Properly From Our last OTR, When i called Mr.Narayan my Warn Dealer He Told Me Its Not Winch, its the Battery which Giving Problem, He Advised to Change the Battery To A Deep Cycle Battery, Like Optima Yellow Top 75 AH, Now The Search Started Some How I Find a dealer he can Supply Me the So Called Yellow Top But His Quote Oh No Its 22k, Is It Really that Expensive? i don't Know Because he is the only one who gave a Quote, Any BHPians Recently Upgraded to this Kind Of Battery? and is it really Worth Paying That Much of Money For A Battery its almost 3 times the cost of Ordinary Battery Your Suggestions Please.

Dear Sir,

Would you pl. provide your mobile number to explain about these batteries and serve you better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooabdservice (Post 1582271)
Dear Sir,

Would you pl. provide your mobile number to explain about these batteries and serve you better.

Hello,

We'd much prefer the conversation / Q & A to continue on the forum itself. Primary reason : It stays archived and will be of help to several others. That's the purpose of our community :).

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by swastikviji (Post 1582067)
Hi Friends

Dear Viji,

I have no clue about "Deep Cycle" battery. But, just for the winch to work "Properly" You don't have to invest such a Huge money. Several Jeeps/Gypsy Runs on normal battery even with Winch. The Best option is to have 2 Batteries. And it will be much cheaper than going for an expensive single battery. Another option is, with the money you are planning to spend on a New battery buy a brand new High capacity Alternator (Safari). There is no modification required except using a little bigger fan belt. Naren (Deserking) has done this work.

Thanks
--Sree--

are yellow tops still sold? I thought they were available once, and then discontinued. I recall someone (l_b_m?) who had one die under warranty, and they couldn't honor the warranty since a replacement could be sourced

You dont have to go in for a yellow top . The best bet is to go in for a higher AH battery and change the alternator to a higher capacity . A normal truck battery will definitely suffice .
Another thing is if you have a proper alternator ,even if the vehicle is stuck you can still run the engine to keep the battery charged and still operate the winch .

Dear Vijai,
Your winch, for the first line of pull with full load will take more than 200 amps and a reasonable combination of battery and alternator will be a single 90AH battery and a high capacity alternator like as sugested by Sreeraj (that of Safari). I think it is about 130 amps capacity. Incidently I use an 80Amp hour battery and a 35 amps and is working fine. only drawback is it takes more time for charging. Giri has a similar winch like yours also uses a similar combination and is working OK. By the way how did Narayanan concluded that it was the battery which was troubling the winch?
Suresh

Dont know if the OLD battery was the cause of the earlier trouble or not...

BUT... NEW one performed very well. Did 2 difficult winching operations for a prolonged period of operation. Viji sir - Please comment your experience from the Chikbellapur OTR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen (Post 1584063)
By the way how did Narayanan concluded that it was the battery which was troubling the winch?
Suresh

Narayan just tells you what to do, and allows no argument.:)

I had the same dilemma and finally got a good deal. Here in chennai also the Yellow top optima is available for Rs.22K. But I never opted one.

Instead look what I did and planning to do

1. Bought a 90amps PowerZone (made by Amaron) battery. I bought this single battery to test it's capabilities. Because this one is the cheapest battery available with a brand name and one year warranty. Also, this brand is not sold in Cities (some restrictions) and only available for village people for tractors and other vehicles. I paid Rs. 3000 fro this battery.

2. Planning to upgrade the Alternator (comes with vaccum pump attached for servo booster) to MICO brand 120amps one. Available with in 6-7K budget brand new.

If my PowerZone gives no problem, I will install my 2nd powerzone under the hood to attain what I need to run smoother winch operations.

So total cost = Powzonex2 (6000) + 7000 + Misc (cable & installation) 2000= 15,000. This is much cheaper compare to Yellow top optima.

-Siva

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 1584473)
BUT... NEW one performed very well.

:Shockked: Don't tell me that he changed the Battery!!!
@ Viji, Yellow Top?

Quote:

Originally Posted by trammway (Post 1584514)
Available with in 6-7K budget brand new.

Siva,

Details please. Which is the brand new alternator in this range? Safari ones are very expensive. Please share the details.

Thanks
--Sree--

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan (Post 1585034)
:Shockked: Don't tell me that he changed the Battery!!!
@ Viji, Yellow Top?

Siva,

Details please. Which is the brand new alternator in this range? Safari ones are very expensive. Please share the details.

Thanks
--Sree--

Sorry, I just spoke to the dealer and now as per the quote

MICO/Bosch 90amps (for scorpio) - Rs.6400 (need to change pully in Jeeps to make it working)

Will get you the price for 120amps and it is currently not in stock.

At what engine rpm ( or alternator pulley rpm) does these alternators generate the rated amps?

Optima batteries were sold in India earlier. To the best of my knowledge they are no longer available and I suspect anyone with one is probably selling an old battery.

Please let me go on further to explain deep cycle.

Deep Cycle batteries are abe to give a huge spurt of current for a few seconds. This is often useful for Audio (hence deep cycle batteries are often recommended for heavy ICE) and sometimes for cold cranking (when the engine is really cold and the starter needs as much juice as possible)

To be best of my knowledge, a winch does not need heavy current for a few seconds, it needs it for much longer than that. You'd better better off with a battery with a heavier current capacity than a deep cycle battery.

And please do not waste your money. In my opinion, an Optima Yellow Top is not needed.