Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2014, 13:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Doubler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The goal is much better low end grunt to get more power to all 4 wheels. You can do it by changing diff ratios, you can do it by going with 2 transfer cases.

Question:

Can you do it, in India, by swapping out transmissions or altering transmission gears? I am talking about non-ecu motors, of course.
Hi D_D,

It can be done, but you will need the BW to T-18 Adapter Plate.

The Transmission will be Gear Box - BW (Planetary Reduction Box) - T-18

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 16:54   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi LOR,

1) The propeller shaft lengths will change, easier to make your own prop-shafts.

The change in Prop-Shaft length will not affect the vehicle (very obviously) if the prop-shafts are balanced and Front Axle has FWH.

The difference will hardly be noticed off-road.

My guess is the BW Tcase with suitable adapter plate will take up 30-35cms, this can be accommodated in the Rear prop-shaft.

2) The reason for "Doubler" t-case is to maintain OEM final drive, to make the vehicle more drive-able on road.

In the above case the Prop-Shafts will be the weak link, and better so, since they can be easily changed, or the vehicle can be flat-towed.

"Would I recommend this being done"

Yes for purely academic purposes on a spare Transmission.

Then you can "try" it out.

No, because its a Money Pit.

Regards,

Arka
Thanks a lot for the Information Arka.

This helps a lot.

Regards,

L.o.R
Old 7th October 2014, 17:17   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mahindra Transfer Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
Would there be a market for a third party supplier of just two 19 spline gears which you retrofit in the Eaton locker?
Regards
Sutripta
I am sure there is as the Lambda Locker is almost 45K, besides you need to change the diff pumkin power and alter the floor board to run the cable etc.

Eaton, if I understand is about 30K and doesn't require any alterations to the floor board, diff cover, running cables etc...

Personally, I would get it and I know many others who are put off by the price of the Lambda unit plus the associated complexity of installation.
Old 8th October 2014, 20:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If Eaton can alter their 30 spline and make a 19 spline, there will be a large market in India...
How interchangeable are the 19 spline and 30 spline diffs? (Ignoring the spline count of course).

Who are the suppliers for these gears? OE vendors, and other third party vendors?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 8th October 2014, 22:38   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How interchangeable are the 19 spline and 30 spline diffs? (Ignoring the spline count of course).
In Mahindra MM series, for 51" rear track (MM540/MM550) semi floating axles are available in 19 & 30 spline. 30 Spline was made specifically for the Army 550 that came with an EATON LSD.

For 53 inch track, 30 spline is available for Semi floating axles that come on Scorpio & Thar CRDE, for the Full Floating axle that comes in the Bolero & NGCS 550 rear track, only 19 spline axle is available.

Quote:
Who are the suppliers for these gears? OE vendors, and other third party vendors?
It will be much simpler to Alter the Eaton Locker to support 19 spline than get vendors to make 30 spline axles for Bolero.
Old 9th October 2014, 21:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

^^^
The problems of a 19 - 30 spline retrofit can be resolved in a number of ways. But before that one needs a categorical confirmation that the full Eaton autolocker can be fitted without ant problems (except for the # of splines thing) in say the Bolero. Very important (other than just fouling problems) would be the relative positions of the bearing positioning shoulders, the crown wheel carrier face, and the position of the spider gears.

Quote:
It will be much simpler to Alter the Eaton Locker to support 19 spline than get vendors to make 30 spline axles for Bolero.
Not necessarily. Depends on volumes. (Assuming that one wants to avoid juggads. A proper broach (maintaining involute profiles on all cutters) is not going to be cheap!)

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Is Suresh Stephen active anymore?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post1878761

Last edited by Sutripta : 9th October 2014 at 21:30.
Old 15th October 2014, 22:31   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For 53 inch track, 30 spline is available for Semi floating axles that come on Scorpio & Thar CRDE, for the Full Floating axle that comes in the Bolero & NGCS 550 rear track, only 19 spline axle is available.

I may sound noob but NGCS550 and bolero share same rear diff and LSD came in NGCS550 rear diff. it means we can use those LSDs on Bolero 4x4 or i am missing anything?

Shubhendra
Old 16th October 2014, 09:22   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I may sound noob but NGCS550 and bolero share same rear diff and LSD came in NGCS550 rear diff. it means we can use those LSDs on Bolero 4x4 or i am missing anything?
Shubhendraji, your have too high expectations of Mahindra . As you correctly said the Bolero FFRA & NGCS550 FFRA are the same albeit with tubes and axles reversed. Diff Pumkin is left off-set for Bolero and right off-set for NGCS MM550. Since this axle comes with 19 spline as opposed to 30 spline like older army MM550, Mahindra stopped providing LSD in the Army NGCS. There is no LSD for Army NGCS 550, it is available only in the pre-2004 non-NGCS army 550 with 51 inch rear track and SFRA.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 10:52   #84
BHPian

Quote:
^^^
The problems of a 19 - 30 spline retrofit can be resolved in a number of ways. But before that one needs a categorical confirmation that the full Eaton autolocker can be fitted without ant problems (except for the # of splines thing) in say the Bolero. Very important (other than just fouling problems) would be the relative positions of the bearing positioning shoulders, the crown wheel carrier face, and the position of the spider gears.

Not necessarily. Depends on volumes. (Assuming that one wants to avoid juggads. A proper broach (maintaining involute profiles on all cutters) is not going to be cheap!)

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Is Suresh Stephen active anymore?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post1878761
Sorry, I was out of loop for some time.
If we are looking at making a broach, It is expensive and will not justify unless you have high volumes. But these splines are standard and can be made with a standard gear shaper. However proving the process requires a bit of effort. It is not very difficult. If at least about 10 sets are required, it may not work out very costly. 30 spline shafts are a better option.
Suresh
Suresh Stephen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 20:18   #85
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Guess there is no viable market for properly made 19 groove spider gears for the Eaton Autolocker.

So for our OffRoad fanatics here, looks like custom axles are the way to go. Machining splines on an axle is no big deal. One should start by listing all manufacturers (Tier 1 to nnn) of MM axles.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th October 2014, 11:47   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-Topic, but Gowtham Santhakumar from Pollachi, TN has developed a cable operated selectable diff lock for 19 & 30 spline Dana 44. Best to contact him on 9976631118. Price is about 31.5K. He is offering one year warranty.

Please note that I don't know him personally and have not used this product, but just putting it out there since it may benefit off-roaders. Please do your research and check references before proceeding.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 21:45   #87
BANNED

I have a mm550 2004 model ngcs with 4 speed forward one reverse kmt 90 with a single lever transfer case but it has a u shaped pattern from 2h to low range what is it technically named
I want to shift to a 5 speed gear box as I have plonked in a Scorpio di turbo sz 2600 engine please suggest me a gearbox combo preferably a manual shifter .
Old 28th October 2014, 22:14   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hate tar View Post
I have a mm550 2004 model ngcs with 4 speed forward one reverse kmt 90 with a single lever transfer case but it has a u shaped pattern from 2h to low range what is it technically named
I want to shift to a 5 speed gear box as I have plonked in a Scorpio di turbo sz 2600 engine please suggest me a gearbox combo preferably a manual shifter .
the one you have in your jeep is T18 Single lever TC.
NGT 530 + BW Manuel is the best option if you can source. I am using NGT520+T18 its an "OK" combination.

- Sreejesh
Old 31st October 2014, 13:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
the one you have in your jeep is T18 Single lever TC.
NGT 530 + BW Manuel is the best option if you can source. I am using NGT520+T18 its an "OK" combination.

- Sreejesh
Sreejesh Ji,
I will bug you again, do you suggest to install SZ2600 engine on BA10 with BorgWarner manual TC. I have above GB and TC configuration, and i actually dont want to fiddle with existing setup. I only want to change engine from current lazy XD3P to SZ2600.
Suggestions please.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 6th November 2014, 09:46   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Sreejesh Ji,
I will bug you again, do you suggest to install SZ2600 engine on BA10 with BorgWarner manual TC. I have above GB and TC configuration, and i actually dont want to fiddle with existing setup. I only want to change engine from current lazy XD3P to SZ2600.
Suggestions please.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra Ji,

Go ahead with SZ2600 + BA10 + BW TC. In my opinion its enough for Highway drive and expedition trips.

- Sreejesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks