Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2015, 18:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Maintenance & care for your Jeep / Gypsy's Soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
...The fabric-like canvas (Jeeps) tops feel nice and look great, while the vinyl tops (gypsy) are more economical and easier to maintain. Fabric tops have a tight weave, but they breathe.
Unlike vinyl tops, a canvas top is not waterproof, it is only water resistant.

...To make the canvas top waterproof, it must be treated.
I'm sorry to resurrect a 6 year old thread but I can't find the answer anywhere else. I hope you can help.

I have a Thar and the soft top leaks from several places, most of which are joints of the velcro fasteners and a couple of very small holes elsewhere on the canopy. You mentioned here that the canvas tops need to be treated to make them waterproof. What treatment is this?

I found these two products on Amazon, Rust-Oleam LeakSeal and Rust-Oleam NeverWet. Do these products work, would they be useful on a canvas soft-top?
Old 1st September 2015, 18:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't used these. I used to have a rubbing wax that i had bought from Germany also which i used to diligently rub across the canvas and it worked well throughout the wet season. Needs to be repeated every year. More effort but better than the sprays.

It even works well on clothes to make them water resistant.
Old 1st September 2015, 19:46   #18
BHPian

Thanks, I'll look that up. Would you by any chance have a name?
Old 26th May 2016, 15:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I haven't used these. I used to have a rubbing wax that i had bought from Germany also which i used to diligently rub across the canvas and it worked well throughout the wet season. Needs to be repeated every year. More effort but better than the sprays.

It even works well on clothes to make them water resistant.

Hello Tejas,

Can you kindly tell me where to source this rubbing wax (preferably online) and any special precautions. My seams on the canvas top started leaking in the heavy monsoon. Need a DIY Fix. Not able to get the Seam Seals as someone had advised. Is is the same seam seal paste used to seal body works?

Thank you in advance
Old 30th May 2016, 11:57   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Hello Tejas,

Can you kindly tell me where to source this rubbing wax (preferably online) and any special precautions. My seams on the canvas top started leaking in the heavy monsoon. Need a DIY Fix. Not able to get the Seam Seals as someone had advised. Is is the same seam seal paste used to seal body works?

Thank you in advance
I bought it at a local store.

I'll click a pic and post it here once i get home.
Old 30th August 2018, 13:46   #21
BHPian

hi i need to source the soft top back cover ..the back door area - urgently for my thar in bangalore? any help pls
Old 30th August 2018, 15:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
hi i need to source the soft top back cover ..the back door area - urgently for my thar in bangalore? any help pls
Please have a look at the below website. They sell soft top canvas. I came to know about this company via Facebook

https://armoro.com/
SubramoniamAB is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 20:51   #23
BHPian

Hello All,

Trying to revive this thread. I have a Mahindra Thar and i was wondering if there is any polish or shampoo or wax to revive the soft top?

I know this thread has not seen daylight since past two years now, but still trying my luck.
Old 4th December 2021, 16:11   #24
BHPian

The soft top on the roof of my Mahindra Thar got a long tear. I called up the Mahindra service centre and they said they don't do repair for the soft top. Wondering if anyone here can help and suggest where can I get the tear mended/stitched/repaired and what is the best way to get this fixed. I am based in Bangalore.
thanks and regards,
Old 7th February 2023, 03:48   #25
BHPian

Wow just randomly stumbled upon this... Well some one recommended Forever black top so i got 4 bottles of it and i must say was very impressed with the outcome. if you have someone coming from the USA they are worth a try. Locally some one recommended to Buy Camel water bases canvas colour.. Me personally since i was in the US at the time i just bought Forever blacktop and im glad i did.. After which i let it dry washed the top and used chemical guys Convertable top cleaner and restorer.. Now the hydrophobic properties on the top are amazing.. water just glides off the top..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Hello All,

Trying to revive this thread. I have a Mahindra Thar and i was wondering if there is any polish or shampoo or wax to revive the soft top?

I know this thread has not seen daylight since past two years now, but still trying my luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Maintenance & care for your Jeep / Gypsy's Soft top-img20221229140810.jpg  

Zooster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks