Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 11:54   #46
BHPian

Hi Abheek,
I can provide you with the pics of my electronic fuel pump, but this setup is in a jeep and not a gypsy. I have the fuel pump bolted underneath the body and its aligned to the line out from petrol tank. Basic idea is that the pump should be as close to the petrol tank as possible, like all new cars have there fuel pumps in the petrol tank itself, thumb rule remains the same.

May be i will be able to give u a better explanation along with the pics.

Regards,

Fahad
Old 1st March 2010, 12:26   #47
Team-BHP Support

Ok if you are planning to retain the electronic pump then it should be:

Fuel tank> Filter (close to tank)> Electronic Fuel Pump (close to tank)> Carb or mechanical pump.

The electronic pumps are pusher pumps and needs to be fitted as close as possible to the tank, the filter before it, so that the muck doesn't get in and screw it up.
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak View Post
Hi Abheek,
I can provide you with the pics of my electronic fuel pump, but this setup is in a jeep and not a gypsy. I have the fuel pump bolted underneath the body and its aligned to the line out from petrol tank. Basic idea is that the pump should be as close to the petrol tank as possible, like all new cars have there fuel pumps in the petrol tank itself, thumb rule remains the same.

May be i will be able to give u a better explanation along with the pics.

Regards,

Fahad
It would be great if you can share the pics and the explanation right here on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok if you are planning to retain the electronic pump then it should be:

Fuel tank> Filter (close to tank)> Electronic Fuel Pump (close to tank)> Carb or mechanical pump.

The electronic pumps are pusher pumps and needs to be fitted as close as possible to the tank, the filter before it, so that the muck doesn't get in and screw it up.
Thanks.
Old 6th March 2010, 06:55   #49
BHPian

8-9 kmpl... i am worried.

The Gypsy is back fromm a 400 km drive. The performance was flawless but it returned a measly fuel efficiency of only 8-9 kmpl (mostly on road). Since the mechanic had set the carburetor the last time it returned an average of 10, what could I do now ? Or should I accept this as normal after the engine rebuilt ? What can I do to properly tune the engine to optimal performance ?

Its about 2000kms done after the engine rebuilt.

regards,
Abheek
Old 17th April 2010, 15:40   #50
BHPian

Guys Even i am having problem with my gypsy 99 Aisin Carb. There is a starting problem in my Gypsy needs atleast half hour to start once it is started RPM increses over period of time say 10 -15 min till then even if i try to movemy engine stops, again same process start.Onces the temp reaches half i am able to move my gypsy but the RPM is very high if i try to reduce it to normal RPM i have other problem if i brake engine halts. Shown to many people every1 have Different solution. Very confuse pls help i dont want to go for esteem carb
Old 17th April 2010, 20:54   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post
Guys Even i am having problem with my gypsy 99 Aisin Carb. There is a starting problem in my Gypsy needs atleast half hour to start once it is started RPM increses over period of time say 10 -15 min till then even if i try to movemy engine stops, again same process start.Onces the temp reaches half i am able to move my gypsy but the RPM is very high if i try to reduce it to normal RPM i have other problem if i brake engine halts. Shown to many people every1 have Different solution. Very confuse pls help i dont want to go for esteem carb
Similar thing used to happen in my Gypsy too. I used to give it to MASS and they used to clean the Carb, also changed few parts in it. It used to give a temporary solution but say after 1000-1500 Kms its all the same.

I had shown it to around 5-6 Garages both in Bangalore and Mysore. But no positive result.

Finally i got a second hand Carb so replaced it. I guess the brand is Mikuni.

Tips I have got till now(From Tbhp, Mass, Local Mech):
1. Remove all the bits and pieces of the carb and keep it in Break fluid/Petrol over night.
2. Later Air pressure clean it. (You can use cycle pump to do this).
3. Use STP Fuel Injector & Carburetor Treatment for few months. You just have to mix it with petrol.

Carb Gypsy problem : ocassional Drop in engine power during highway driving-fuelpic_fict.jpg

I bought 6 No's of STP for my gypsy as this is cheaper in US . Looking forward to use it now.

4. Worst case: Replace the carb.

And for your starting problem, I hope you are using choke while starting.

Last edited by krishnathanthri : 17th April 2010 at 21:06.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:36   #52
BHPian

I want to keep Aisin Carb as i have heard its best for 4X4 its powerful .Mikuni carb what you have mention is from may be from esteem its good for straight drive and ok for 4X4. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
I have taken this Gypsy Only and only for 4X4 no city drive.
Old 21st April 2010, 22:04   #53
Team-BHP Support

Yes Asin (or whichever comes original) are much better suited for low end grunt but are really tricky when it comes to keeping them in shape. So if you have access to one in good shape, grab it!
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:46   #54
BHPian

@Triggercool - krishnathanthri has a 410. This had a Mikuni carb as original in the earlier models.
If your Aisin carb is giving you problems, it is better to try and source out other alternatives. If you are looking for power, try out the Weber - they have one for the Samurai (as Gypsy is known in the US) - it comes with all accessories for a direct bolton.
Cheers
GB
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:37   #55
BHPian

Which model of Weber carb. Tired of search thinking of putting esteem carb for time been. Until i find original Carb kit for my Aisin carb.

Last edited by triggercool : 23rd April 2010 at 17:39.
Old 24th April 2010, 09:40   #56
BHPian

The weber model is 32/36 DGEV. You have to ask for the samurai conversion kit along with this. You can google this for more info.

As for the Aisin carb kit, find out from your local MASS or authorised Maruti stockist in your city (In Bangalore it is Essarr).
Old 29th April 2010, 17:10   #57
BHPian

Going for esteem carb. Till i find Kit for my Aisin carb.

Thanks a lot guys
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:58   #58
sat
BHPian

Gypsy fuel pump problem : Drop in engine power during highway driving

Many years ago I had similar problems of power drops on a 1986 gypsy while driving long distance on a highway. I tied a wet cloth (old handkerchief) around the mechanical fuel pump & problem solved. Before the cloth would dry out I would stop & carefully pour a little water over cloth to keep the fuel pump cool.

I later replaced the mechanical fuel pump assembly on the gypsy.

In the mid 80's I used to drive morris minors in Calcutta during my college which had similar problems, similar treatment solved the problem..
Old 6th April 2012, 13:42   #59
BHPian

Re: Carb Gypsy problem : ocassional Drop in engine power during highway driving

Over the last 2 years since I first started this thread, I have changed the mechanical fuel pump ( second hand unit for Rs 800/- ), installed a standby inline electrical fuel pump , replaced the original gypsy carb with a maruti 800 carb (Rs 4000/-) , replaced the tappet cover of the engine and lo.... The gypsy is running butter smooth.

This is for everybody's knowledge.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 31st August 2013, 21:30   #60
BHPian

Re: Carb Gypsy problem : ocassional Drop in engine power during highway driving

Guys can any one help me out with a service manual for MG410W with the F10A engine ? I need it badly... please help...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks