Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 07:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Sutripta, Ravi, welding is one of the operations involved while making a chassis, the members are cut to various lengths, blanked, pierced, bent to various shapes and then finally welded according to the requirements,

Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The main rail is built up?

Sutripta
As much as knowledge goes, even box chassis, the rails are C-Channels which are welded to form the box. I have not seen extruded box sections as the starting point of chassis. Correct me if I'm wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Which all type welding are used for chassis construction?
For Chassis construction, its mainly MIG Welding
Old 10th March 2010, 11:02   #92
Senior - BHPian

The front and real side rails are generally cold rolled, and the remaining members are mostly steel pressings.

Spike
Old 10th March 2010, 11:48   #93
BHPian

Quote:
The front and real side rails are generally cold rolled, and the remaining members are mostly steel pressings.

Spike
Ready for another class...
What are these various techniques

May be an eBook can be shared perhaps?
Old 10th March 2010, 12:16   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Ready for another class...
What are these various techniques

May be an eBook can be shared perhaps?
Cold rolling is preferred as the grain structure (material properties) obtained through this process are far more superior to the other processes, you can google if you need more info on this, the book you are talking about cannot be uploaded here due to obvious reasons.

Spike
Old 10th March 2010, 12:23   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cold rolling is preferred as the grain structure (material properties) obtained through this process are far more superior to the other processes, you can google if you need more info on this, the book you are talking about cannot be uploaded here due to obvious reasons.

Spike
Are talking about the Fe-C Diagram. Anyways can we get e-tutorials? Selected access only
Old 10th March 2010, 12:28   #96
Senior - BHPian

Material science

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Are talking about the Fe-C Diagram. Anyways can we get e-tutorials? Selected access only
the Fe-C diagram (which tells about the grain structure with the % C like pearlite, martensite etc etc), also the TTT diagram is pretty important when you are referring to Hot forging/rolling processes, for your queries i will try and answer questions with my limited knowledge.

Spike
Old 10th March 2010, 13:01   #97
BHPian

Quote:

Spike
Thanks Spike. Now I know those terms a little (Google).

Cold Rolling: Steel/ metal sheets are passed between rollers to give them a specific shape & thickness

Steel Pressings: Simple than expected. Here steel / metal sheets are pressed down between different molds to give it a specific shape.
E.g Fenders, body panels etc.

I think others interested must take a look at below Wiki link regarding basics of Ladder frame

Rectangular Box Rails: A piece of steel is bent into four sides and then welded where both ends meet.

Also visit below links:
Different Car chassis: (See what are the types of chassis used by diff. manufacturers)
Carbon fiber/ aluminum chassis: (See which famous sport car uses GLUE to join its different Chassis sections together)

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 10th March 2010 at 13:14.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:30   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Spike. Now I know those terms a little (Google).

Cold Rolling: Steel/ metal sheets are passed between rollers to give them a specific shape & thickness

Steel Pressings: Simple than expected. Here steel / metal sheets are pressed down between different molds to give it a specific shape.
E.g Fenders, body panels etc.

I think others interested must take a look at below Wiki link regarding basics of Ladder frame

Rectangular Box Rails: A piece of steel is bent into four sides and then welded where both ends meet.

Also visit below links:
Different Car chassis: (See what are the types of chassis used by diff. manufacturers)
Carbon fiber/ aluminum chassis: (See which famous sport car uses GLUE to join its different Chassis sections together)
The selection of steel used for chassis manufacture is not so simple as different grain structure and % of carbon can lead to various hardness levels apart from affecting malleability and britlleness.
here is the Fe-C dIAGRAM
Name:  15420046E542B14.gif
Views: 9536
Size:  11.1 KB

The Time Temperature Transformation Diagram and its explanation Examples of Iron-Iron Carbide TransformationsName:  icnew2.gif
Views: 4804
Size:  23.2 KBName:  ballentine1.gif
Views: 4872
Size:  22.7 KB

Last edited by MileCruncher : 10th March 2010 at 13:45.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

@Mile cruncher very refreshing to see these diagrams, reminds me of my engineering days. It is nice that you shared this with the forum members.

Spike
Old 10th March 2010, 13:44   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Mile cruncher very refreshing to see these diagrams, reminds me of my engineering days. It is nice that you shared this with the forum members.

Spike
Reminded me also of my engineering days! and also reminded how much I had to struggle to clear my Material Science module in 4th semester.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:18   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The main rail is built up?

Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
As much as knowledge goes, even box chassis, the rails are C-Channels which are welded to form the box. I have not seen extruded box sections as the starting point of chassis. Correct me if I'm wrong

For Chassis construction, its mainly MIG Welding
Teach me not to shoot from the hip! Actually the question was rhetorical, and should have read "You mean the Thar main rail is built up of little bits and pieces?"

What I'd like is a yes or no (like in American courtroom dramas) to " Does the Thar chassis main rail have a single piece of steel, however formed, running between the outermost hardpoints? Other reinforcements can be added to this main piece by any means deemed feasible, but is immaterial for this question." (Hope I've managed to express myself properly this time.)

Guess all will be revealed when (if) the Thar is launched. I suppose its price can't be fixed till other manufacturers have played their hands re: BS IV

Production engineers:- Can you extrude steel in the crosssections necessary for a SUV chassis?

OT: Does anyone have details of Audi's jointing methods for their extruded Al technology?

@Milecruncher: more participation please!

Sutripta
Old 17th March 2010, 19:36   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Teach me not to shoot from the hip! Actually the question was rhetorical, and should have read "You mean the Thar main rail is built up of little bits and pieces?"

What I'd like is a yes or no (like in American courtroom dramas) to " Does the Thar chassis main rail have a single piece of steel, however formed, running between the outermost hardpoints? Other reinforcements can be added to this main piece by any means deemed feasible, but is immaterial for this question." (Hope I've managed to express myself properly this time.)

Guess all will be revealed when (if) the Thar is launched. I suppose its price can't be fixed till other manufacturers have played their hands re: BS IV
I am not sue if it is the right answer, but If you have seen Bolero Storm's Chassis closely, then its done. Its the same as Thar (diff. Wheelbase of course) There also you will notice the CinC Front (Till the bonnet area) & rest of it is normal Bolero Chassis..(Exactly same as Thar).

But your highlighted question is not yet answered. :(

BTW. HOW Can we make a BOXED Chassis Rust proof? I have seen in some video that company literally dips the whole chassis (with some static charge) under the tank filled with special anti rust paint for galvanizing.
How to do the effective anti rust treatment for , say a used vehicle's boxed chassis frame??

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 17th March 2010 at 19:38.
Old 17th March 2010, 19:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW. HOW Can we make a BOXED Chassis Rust proof? I have seen in some video that company literally dips the whole chassis (with some static charge) under the tank filled with special anti rust paint for galvanizing.
How to do the effective anti rust treatment for , say a used vehicle's boxed chassis frame??

Strip the used vehicle to the chassis, Sandblast it and do electrostatic painting.

You could also dip the chassis in a tank provided you find the person to do it for you with such large tank facilities!!
Old 17th March 2010, 19:50   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Strip the used vehicle to the chassis, Sandblast it and do electrostatic painting.
Thanks for answer, But above method is suitable for C-section chassis. I think it will be still hard for rust proofing Boxed chassis. from Inside as well. No tension for water fording etc...
Old 17th March 2010, 20:26   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You could also dip the chassis in a tank provided you find the person to do it for you with such large tank facilities!!
This process is called as Powder coating.

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks