Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2011, 12:44   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Offroaders - Choose your 4x4 battery carefully

That means we are better off with Tractor batteries than car batteries in the Jeep. Especially if we have the Winch. I have 90AH Amaron Havester, the seller had no worries while installing it on the Jeep.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:48   #47
Team-BHP Support

Yes i did not have this google info when Santhosh and I spoke, or could have used it to throw it back on those battery experts Anyways i have kind of made up my mind, am gonna go for thick plate, robust tractor battery. Only thing i need to check are the prices.

Atleast now i have a reference point for price. Thanks a ton Santhosh, should be getting back to you shortly.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Oh my, what nice explanation online...

Tractor battery all the way!!! To hell with warranty. Jaggu in case bangy prices are cheaper please let me know, We will try to undersell with my guy...

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th January 2011 at 14:01.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:14   #49
Team-BHP Support

OT: Will do after i check But are you also planning to change?
Old 11th January 2011, 19:27   #50
BANNED

Check this info , this is from a reliable source ( I am yet to go & check at dealer level ) .I have talked to certain people the info is encouraging yet not to my satisfaction as it was a telefonic conversation , I am going to get it checked before I finalise .( will disclose full details afterwards )

But you guys can always have a parallel enquiry

Company : Amron

1) Battery type 85 D 26 R ( suitable for winch )

2) battery type 95 D 26 R ( suitable for winch ) ( Go series ) according to CCA I heard .

Please dont think tractor batteries are superior or sturdier till you get some conclusive facts. Also they may be cheap because of Tax exemptions .

Again I am yet to check the fact about the 2nd battery

havent checked about prices as it is going to cost what it is going to cost , I am more concerned about the performance ( winch )

Sudarshan

edit 26 R relates to + ve terminal position . compare with your old battery .

Last edited by Sudarshan : 11th January 2011 at 19:29.
Old 12th January 2011, 00:48   #51
Team-BHP Support

Terminal position should not be a big issue with jeeps since we generally have loooooong terminal cables which can swap sides without much effort.

Harvest is not very cheap compared to regular battery, so dont bother about price difference. On the other hand Powerzone brand from Amar Raja is supposed to be cheaper.

Last but not least in my CJ3B no winch + its useless since it can only do self recovery with its light weight
Old 12th January 2011, 02:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

I bet powerzone is the cheapest battery option from a larger brand, otherwise there are plentiful local made batteries which would go for lighter pockets. Some of them are still doing good for few commercial drivers.

@Jaggu, if you don't have recovery gear you may also thinking of adding few lights for night drive ;-)
Old 12th January 2011, 07:26   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Last but not least in my CJ3B no winch + its useless since it can only do self recovery with its light weight
There are two types of offroad battery users
1) Winchwala's , they really have a difficult choice

2) non winch but normal operation ( where a normal 40/50 amp alternator is sufficiant to take your 400 watt light load ) you have so many choices .

But investment in Battery is really worth & paying ( specially after a chilled night camping when you need to start from cold with heater etc , in the middle of nowhere )

This is little OT or you may already know this , but let me put my experiance regarding battery life .( with my 540 & Landy )

1) old Hard rubber built batteries ,Exide( till 1995 ) 70 amp/hr , Life 2 years . water level check ,every week

2) plastic casing batteries Exide E 88 (vehicles) / E 88T (agri/tractor) Life, 4 years straight , water check 3 weeks

above were some 15 inch long 13+ plate something ( as they called ) Batteries

3) Exide EF 70 Z model ( length under 13" ) a 75 amp/hr battery , ( also used in Lcv's . Life 4 years straight . Thease came around year 1999-2000

4) Optima yellow top Deep cycle & starter , no water check ,Used to winch. Life 6 years ( price was 2.5 times more ) .Its a hell of a battery .Power of a Truck battery packed in Jeep size battery .

Above 1,2,3 types were normal but good reliability in their life time .

Now will be going for the amron 90 D .I may use a twin Battery setup .

You are right about the terminal issue , thease things bother to mostly new vehicles not ours ( I can even place the battery on bumper also, in my Landy )

Sudarshan
Old 12th January 2011, 08:01   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Not true, I have dragged out Marshall and MM540 with my winch. Just needs good anchoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
1) Winchwala's , they really have a difficult choice
I have once run my winch for 5 minutes with the engine off. It started with first crank after that. Amaron Harvest 90AH Jai Ho!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...inch-test.html (A Winch Test)

Last edited by Samurai : 12th January 2011 at 08:05.
Old 12th January 2011, 09:34   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I have once run my winch for 5 minutes with the engine off. It started with first crank after that. Amaron Harvest 90AH Jai Ho!
I trust you on that ,can you send the exact model no. of that Battery ?

I am in Need of one , Currently using a exide mhd 800 for starting only ( not winch )

Also have you tried it when it was new ? was it used singly ( no other battery connected ) how much was the pulling efort/load ( asking because couldnt open pics in your link )

Normally a 8000 pound pulling effort will require a current not more than 400 amps ( this depends on gearing also,it may take less even ) that is nearly 100 amps more than a Jeep or equivalent starter ( old types 2.5 to 3 litre engines )

The amron tech Guy told me that the 95 D model ( Mentioned earlier ) Is suitable for winching . ( 600 + amps CCA)

Anyways Battery may take the load but the Q is what will be the total life then ?

Sudarshan
Can you send tech specifications of your winch ( I will send you mine & more )
Old 12th January 2011, 09:41   #56
Team-BHP Support

It is a Ramsey Rep 8000, and the battery is Amaron Harvest 90AH.

Why can't you see the images?
Old 12th January 2011, 10:18   #57
BANNED

Quote:

Why can't you see the images?
Thanks got it know ( must be few locks on my note book )

Anyways I saw them (in your post no 1) so my observations

1) line over pully not a single line pull ,means half the load ( but double the pulling time )

2) the marshal was stuck ( first pics ) but was on incline it eased the pulling

3) the marshal was climbing but was rollig on wheels

IMHO , all & all you had a load of around 3500 (max) pounds & that was particularly when it was climbing .

seems to me that the motor has not taken more than 300 amps load & thats equal to the starter load

I assume this is just a border case , but are you prepared to go for some hard effort on the battery ( that is single line pull with more load ) ?

Please have a look at the 15th Aug Lonavla OTR pics of the landy winching ravi's Jeep & lateron itself , last one was really a strain .

Sudarshan
Old 12th January 2011, 10:44   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not true, I have dragged out Marshall and MM540 with my winch. Just needs good anchoring.
Your diesel CJ requires Anchoring, then my Petrol CJ needs very good anchoring. That is why i said its kinda pointless. On the other hand in a heavy MM most of then time you just pull without worry about anchoring and stuff.

Just a comparison statement
Old 12th January 2011, 12:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Very OT - Jaggu, how much does a CJ3B and CJ340 weigh? I dont think the 2200CC Petrol jeep is a featherlight category one.
Old 12th January 2011, 15:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Same here Ramsey REP8000 and battery is PowerZone 90amps and tryed little more than 9minutes in the last OTR to pull Dr.Jones Prowler out from a canal in almost 90degree angle (first without snatch block for 5minutes and with snatch block for 3-4minutes). Surprisingly I did start my engine with first crank no major loss. Ofcourse yes whenever I did winching my enging was kept running and my alternator is the same 65amps or 80amps(not remembering now).

I think it is not possible to do winching for recovering another vehicle without a anchor most of the time.

Most Viewed