Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 18:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Buhahahaha, so finally our Dear Arka has agreed that he doesn't know something. Let me try and explain, there are two types of deflectors (placed right behind the front grille on which the bonnet stay rod is mounted) parallel flow and cross flow deflectors, parallel flow have both the vertical plates parallel to one another, on projecting them towards the car centre line they never meet, whereas the cross flow are inclined towards each other, on projecting them towards the car centre line they meet at a point, both these along with the radiator shroud determine how the air is directed (Draft), if the deflector (along with shroud) is mounted according to the Radiator design there is very less possibility that air may escape no matter at what speeds, The very reason for using deflector with shrouds is to "direct the air" to its destination aka Radiator. Hope this clarifies
Hi Spike,

Thanks for the info, will help in my A/C conversion.

But these Deflectors are common for Peugeot XDP4.9 Engines (upto 2001 4x4 Addicts MM540).

We normally remove this deflector as the radiator and fan unite under severe off-roading i.e chassis flexing.

The MM540XD/MM550XD do not have these deflectors and the radiator is mounted on the Cross-Member under the Radiator Grille.

Regards,

Arka
Old 4th March 2010, 18:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

@Arka, "The MM540XD/MM550XD do not have these deflectors and the radiator is mounted on the Cross-Member under the Radiator Grille." is it so? that is news to me. I am damn sure that there are these two type of deflectors in Mahindra vehicles(dont specifically remember them), also i have seen these deflectors mounted on Certain classics. Technically there are certain dimensions which need to be maintained otherwise it may lead to problems like:- 1. Fouling of radiator fan with radiator shroud (as you told earlier) leading to radiator fan breakage. 2. Incorrect flow of air to the radiator. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th March 2010 at 18:50. Reason: add info
Old 5th March 2010, 10:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Guys - is there a solution to this? I just ordered my Sanden 507 and Super-King blower for my Gypsy. The guy who is fitting it (Mr. Sripad) was responsible for the Silk-Route Mahindras cooling/heating setups. Sounded very knowledgeable and when I asked him about the over-heating he told me that so far none of his installations had this issue. I am meeting him once my vehicle arrives to check again and to get a visual on the install.

He is NOT replacing the stock radiator/fan. He is installing the condensor ahead of the radiator with it's own fan. Reports on Tbhp say that this is what causes the heating problems.

A bit confused which way to go now...
Old 5th March 2010, 10:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
He is NOT replacing the stock radiator/fan. He is installing the condensor ahead of the radiator with it's own fan. Reports on Tbhp say that this is what causes the heating problems.
Hey Guru,
I agree with you. Most Gypsies that had the condensor in the front developed this over-heating problem. They've rectified it by either placing the condensor under the chassis or by installing a bigger radiator. Why don't you check with this guy if he can install the condensor under the chassis and somehow concealing it in such a way that it doesn't get hit when you are offroading.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 5th March 2010, 11:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hope you have tried the following -

1. A 3 line coppor radiator
2. Faster electric fan
3. Check the coolant circulation system

It is heating at 50+ speeds whithout the AC on ??
Old 5th March 2010, 12:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hope you have tried the following -

1. A 3 line coppor radiator
2. Faster electric fan
3. Check the coolant circulation system

It is heating at 50+ speeds whithout the AC on ??
Without the AC it does not heat, infact the temperature goes down to normal within 5 minutes of shutting off AC or even AC compressor for that matter.
So youll will say the problem is with the fan of the condenser, and this has been changed and is Working with very powerful throw thru the condensor.
3 line copper radiator is ordered, lets hope this solves the problem.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Guru,
I agree with you. Most Gypsies that had the condensor in the front developed this over-heating problem. They've rectified it by either placing the condensor under the chassis or by installing a bigger radiator. Why don't you check with this guy if he can install the condensor under the chassis and somehow concealing it in such a way that it doesn't get hit when you are offroading.
Cheers,
Deepak
Deeapk,
if the AC condensor intsall under the chasis means u can install only horizondal and not vertical as it has to be.In this case providing a protection by concealing will drastically reduce the efficency of the heat exchanger/condensor as it will be barricaded from the natural airflow.I suggest to go for a larger radiator and a smaller condesor with more number of rows cooling coils if avaiable and fit it vertically in the front of the gypsy.

Raj
Old 5th March 2010, 18:57   #38
Team-BHP Support

Starter: underbody fitment is lil tricky, but doable.

a) one needs to clean the condenser regularly to keep it clean
b) risk of foreign particles damaging, it has delicate aluminum fins an pipes which can get damaged with a rogue stone from the road

Efficiency can be taken care by using a high power fan, which can keep it cool.

In scooby's case if the condenser fitment is proper and allows decent air flow to the radiator, things should be fine. I have a feeling its slightly large condenser with restrictive fins or fin direction is restrictive. All guesses since i haven't seen the actual vehicle.

Gypsy comes with one of the smallest radiator one can imagine and that itself is a big issue, so bigger radiator generally helps alot.
Old 5th March 2010, 20:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Gypsy comes with one of the smallest radiator one can imagine and that itself is a big issue, so bigger radiator generally helps alot.
Hey Jaggu,
I am planning to leave the Gypsy for my second service in a couple of weeks. Was planning to get the AC installed while i leave it for service.
For now, i have no AC. If i just run the Gypsy with the head lights on or just the stock blower on, the temperature needle climbs up and stays exactly in the middle (50% mark). But, in the day time, when i do not use the head lights, the temperature needle stays at around 40% mark.
Is this common in a stock Gypsy?
Or is my Gypsy already giving me hints of not getting the AC installed!
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 6th March 2010, 12:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Im getting my Gypsy over to Mumbai from Khandala today. Tommorow a bigger 3 core copper radiator will be installed along with some form of Air deflectors to help the direction of air flow as suggested. Will also change to Mobil 1. Shall report the success in 3 days. will Not give up!! If required will add an oil cooler somewhere too.
Old 6th March 2010, 19:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Im getting my Gypsy over to Mumbai from Khandala today. Tommorow a bigger 3 core copper radiator will be installed along with some form of Air deflectors to help the direction of air flow as suggested. Will also change to Mobil 1. Shall report the success in 3 days. will Not give up!! If required will add an oil cooler somewhere too.
Hi,
I know this is going to sound very very weird, but before making any other changes, can you try out your Gypsy at speed with AC on and the auxiliary fan PHYSICALLY REMOVED, and let us know the results. The vehicle will then overheat in stop -go traffic, and head pressures will shoot up if the AC is run, but that is expected, understood, and thereby correctable.

Also, what is the gap between each of the major components?

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Like your "Will do - will succeed spirit". Wouldn't have suggested this crazy R&Dish thing otherwise!
Old 7th March 2010, 10:26   #42
BHPian

Not sure if this helps, but i think you should check on the water pump before you do anything. I had a similar issue and it went away after changing the water pump.
Old 8th March 2010, 00:57   #43
Team-BHP Support

I checked khans gypsy and the main radiator fan is a clutch type fan and not electric, can any of the new gypsy owners confirm if there has been any changes to this?
Old 8th March 2010, 10:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Tommorow a bigger 3 core copper radiator will be installed along with some form of Air deflectors to help the direction of air flow as suggested. Will also change to Mobil 1. Shall report the success in 3 days. will Not give up!!

Thats perfect, i think the 3line copper radiator will help a lot. Ya the air deflector idea also sounds good.

With Mobil1 the engine will rev smoothly and produce less friction/heat, so that should also help i guess.

Keep it up Bro!!!
Old 8th March 2010, 12:05   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I checked khans gypsy and the main radiator fan is a clutch type fan and not electric, can any of the new gypsy owners confirm if there has been any changes to this?
a friend bought a new gypsy two weeks back. it still has the mechanical fan.

Last edited by saintsinner : 8th March 2010 at 12:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks