Team-BHP - Gypsy '09 Heating problems!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Gypsy '09 Heating problems! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/76537-gypsy-09-heating-problems.html)

I bought a Gypsy mpfi '09 2 months back done 10000kms.
It has a authorised dealer fitted Aircon and PS .
With the AC on the car heats up IF I am driving at 50kmph+, i.e. on the highways/expressways. In slow traffic there is NO Heating Whatsoever!!
Changed the electric fan but still no change. Everything works fine, the radiator fan comes on when the guage shows a lil below half, the aux fan comes on with the AC, both the fans come on with the AC in any condition.
Guage shows 100+ and water goes to resevoir, does not return to radiator after engine has cooled down?
Experts, What could be the reason??

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby05 (Post 1760570)
I bought a Gypsy mpfi '09 2 months back done 10000kms.
It has a authorised dealer fitted Aircon and PS .
With the AC on the car heats up IF I am driving at 50kmph+, i.e. on the highways/expressways. In slow traffic there is NO Heating Whatsoever!!
Changed the electric fan but still no change. Everything works fine, the radiator fan comes on when the guage shows a lil below half, the aux fan comes on with the AC, both the fans come on with the AC in any condition.
Guage shows 100+ and water goes to resevoir, does not return to radiator after engine has cooled down?
Experts, What could be the reason??

Check the water circulation system and the pump, get it completely flushed and see if the problem still persists, as per you discussion its a clear case of more load on the engine.

Pramod

Quote:

Originally Posted by pramodkumar (Post 1760608)
Check the water circulation system and the pump, get it completely flushed and see if the problem still persists, as per you discussion its a clear case of more load on the engine.

Pramod

Yes, it seems like more load! but the system is flushed, the water pump works, does not heat in slow speed or stop start traffic. Only heats the moment i travel more than 50kmph!! very strange. kept the car standing with the engine and ac on for 1 hour and nothing. Why and from where is the strain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby05 (Post 1760694)
Yes, it seems like more load! but the system is flushed, the water pump works, does not heat in slow speed or stop start traffic. Only heats the moment i travel more than 50kmph!! very strange. kept the car standing with the engine and ac on for 1 hour and nothing. Why and from where is the strain?

If the vehicle heats up during bumper to bumper traffic the fan is the culprit. if it heats up during running, then there can be 2 issues.
1. The air flow to the radiater is restricted.
2. The cooling system has a problem.

If it was a carb gypsy i feel running it little rich would have kept the engine cold, this is not a solution but a work around. I feel your cooling system needs attention its either you need a bigger radiator or you need to get the cooling system inspected. Try this, when ever the vehicle heats up keep the engine running and pour cold water on teh radiator and watch is the temprature comes down.

You can also try bypassing the thermostat switch to chek if thats causing the problem.

As far as i can see the problem its an issue with the cooling system and nothing else.

Pramod

Your aux fan is fitted wrongly(direction of rotation).
The aux fan is fitted between the grill and the radiator, and it blows air towards the outside.
So when vehicle is slow, it can effectively draw air from the radiator and blow it outside. At speed, it basically is fighting against the wind.
So what you need to do is that ensure that the fans are fitted in this fashion
1. Radiator fan, between engine and radiator - This fan should blow air on the engine
2. Aux fan, between grill and radiator - This fan should blow air from the outside on the radiator.
Get this done, and everything will be okay

scooby05, will you please post a few pictures of your AC install?

Thanks

Nitin

09 MPFI? I thought they came much later? EDIT: I misread!! thanks Blue Thunder for pointing it out.

Since its a brand new vehicle, the whole story has changed. Check radiator cap and see if coolant circuit is proper, check ac fan if its working properly/turning in the right direction. This should set it right :)

Below mentioned can be ignored!

Anyways first thing is to get the cooling circuit checked thoroughly. Water pump, radiator, radiator cap, thermostat. If they are working properly switch ON the AC and see how its holding.

If its heating up, then first check if the aux fan fitted in front is turning in the right direction ie throwing air from front to the radiator. If this is fine, look at the AC radiator grill installation, if its properly done with good airflow. Also check if the radiator fan shroud is in place.

Also what compressor is the vehicle running?

scooby05 - get the AC Radiator and aux fan moved to under the vehicle. The exact place is between the chasis rails just before the rear Diff.

This will solve the overheating problems in ALL situations. Will take a pic of this setup on my Gypsy and post the pic tomorrow. I had the same setup like yours for many years and there were always issues one way or the other. With the current setup there is no problem.

Although, you will need to get the AC Radiator washed from time to time (maybe once in 2 months) as mud, dirt may clog it. Just take it to a jet wash station and get the vehicle washed from underneath.

Cheers
Ankit

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1760735)
Your aux fan is fitted wrongly(direction of rotation).
The aux fan is fitted between the grill and the radiator, and it blows air towards the outside.
So when vehicle is slow, it can effectively draw air from the radiator and blow it outside. At speed, it basically is fighting against the wind.
So what you need to do is that ensure that the fans are fitted in this fashion
1. Radiator fan, between engine and radiator - This fan should blow air on the engine
2. Aux fan, between grill and radiator - This fan should blow air from the outside on the radiator.
Get this done, and everything will be okay

Dear Friend,
Obviously both the fans are throwing inwards. The aux fan is to cool the heat exchanger by thowing air into/thru it and the electric fan between engine and radiator sucks air thru the radiator shroud. Both working perfect, and come on when the AC is on irrespective of engine temperature and the engine cooling fan comes on once the engine reaches working temperature, without AC on also. Checked the pump and cap etc all seems perfect. Only thing left is the thermostat, but why should that be a problem when the main fan does come on once the engine reaches 80*C. Will have to get an expert to try out the car and diagnose, Is there someone on Tbhp who can help?

Scooby: What size compressor you are running?

Ok, since you have verified that the fans are throwing air as they should, I think problem lies elsewhere. As to why this problem happens only above 50kmph, I am stumped.
Can you do this experiment.
Disconnect the "aux" fan. Then drive above 50 and see what happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 1762097)
Scooby: What size compressor you are running?

Boss, As the car doesnt Heat in slow traffic with AC on, how does the size of compressor matter, though we have a sanden 507 on her fitted by millenium motors, the pune maruti dealers.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1762115)
Ok, since you have verified that the fans are throwing air as they should, I think problem lies elsewhere. As to why this problem happens only above 50kmph, I am stumped.
Can you do this experiment.
Disconnect the "aux" fan. Then drive above 50 and see what happens.

How will this Help? and should i run with AC on without aux fan? I dont think we will get an answer. I am stumped too and thats why this thread.
I will probably change the engine oil, and also the coolant and radiator cap and check this weekend , since my car is in Khandala.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

I agree with TSK1979, there is definately mis-match of fan rotation. I would strongly suggest that if you disconnect the aux electric fan and run your gypsy on highway the problem will be vice versa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amar82 (Post 1762256)
I agree with TSK1979, there is definately mis-match of fan rotation. I would strongly suggest that if you disconnect the aux electric fan and run your gypsy on highway the problem will be vice versa.

I put a piece of cardboard on the grill and it stayed there with the suction of the aux fan! I held a piece near the water pump and the inside fan was throwing it towards the engine. Does this explain that the fans are rotating in the right directions?
My question remains, what could be causing the extra load on engine in higher RPM that causes the heating?

If your car is at slow speed in first gear(high rpm)? Does this problem come?
If so, it means that the cooling system is not adequate.
Reasons could be many
1. some blockage in the radiator
2. Lower capacity of the radiator
3. May need a stronger fan.

Also remove the "Thermostat valve". Its called the winter valve. Removing it will mean more water circulation. I remember in old 800s, removing this valve used to solve overheating in extreme summers with AC. Its also called the "summer valve" in local lingo.