Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Where should I mount the lights?
Option 1 - Between the headlights 84 49.70%
Option 2 - on the sides 3 1.78%
Option 3 - on the roll bar 11 6.51%
Option 4 - on the windshield 9 5.33%
Option 5 - on the bull bar 41 24.26%
OPtion 6 - retain existing ones & add D shackles in the front 13 7.69%
Option 7 - none. upgrade existing lights 6 3.55%
Option 8 - Other. Please specify 2 1.18%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2015, 15:41   #136
BHPian

Re: Off-Roading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Hi Himadri did you get these imported or locally procured. If you dont mind sharing the price of these. I got myself a pair of Dually D2 Hyperspot from US.
Here's mine
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146205
Dually D2 hyper-spots are amazing with respect to its size. I too got mine from US, a friend of mine bought it from amazon and handed it over to me when he arrived in India. It costs $301, Rs18000/- approx at the current exchange rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Can you post a picture / night shot of your car showing the depth / range of lights as seen from inside the car. Thanks.
Will do that for you soon and post it here, be prepared to be amazed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you please share where you purchased these and the costs?
Well there are a lot of leds in the market, more of the chinese makes. But if you want an unbreakable, unparalleled brightness, then I guess Rigid Industries or Baja Designs are the top of the list. Rigid is cheaper on Amazon US rather than its own site. Best way to get this is ask a friend to buy it for you and pick it up from him when he lands in India. Otherwise junglee website does sell them but the price would be double the original. On the other hand if you buy them directly from amazon US paying the excise and carrier charges, it comes to around 26k for the same model I have got, again a bit steep.
Old 7th February 2015, 21:09   #137
BHPian

Also look out for 10w setup you'll be amazed and the spot beam. There are lot of indicators to seperate the chaff. But more importantly usage and mounting need to be considered. Yesterday me and Tanveer tested out two 40w bars with 10w*4 cree each and the spots were amazing. Will post beam shots next week when mounted.
Old 7th February 2015, 21:48   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also look out for 10w setup you'll be amazed and the spot beam. There are lot of indicators to seperate the chaff. But more importantly usage and mounting need to be considered. Yesterday me and Tanveer tested out two 40w bars with 10w*4 cree each and the spots were amazing. Will post beam shots next week when mounted.
If you want to compare beams set the camera to manual mode,
I think 1/30 ISO 3200 F6.3 exposure should be good. You can go to 1/20 if it comes out too dark.
I forgot to get the camera, or we could have compared the one oledone 40W with the 2*D2 too!
Old 8th February 2015, 01:15   #139
BHPian

Quote:
But more importantly usage and mounting need to be considered. Yesterday me and Tanveer tested out two 40w bars with 10w*4 cree each and the spots were amazing. Will post beam shots next week when mounted.
The mounting is very critical. Even before ordering my led lights, I was worried about its protection, which is one more reason why I again choose Rigid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you want to compare beams set the camera to manual mode,
I think 1/30 ISO 3200 F6.3 exposure should be good. You can go to 1/20 if it comes out too dark.
I forgot to get the camera, or we could have compared the one oledone 40W with the 2*D2 too!
Your Exif is perfect but other than any professional grade camera, ISO 3200 would produce hell lot of noise. Again F6.3 would offer much better DOF too. The other way round is 1/20, F2.8, ISO 1250, but again a professional grade lens has 2.8 aperture. I did it at 1/17, F2.6, ISO 1250. Results:

Enviornment, as seen by the human eye.
Off-Roading Lights-no-light.jpg

Stock low beam
Off-Roading Lights-stock-low.jpg

Stock High
Off-Roading Lights-stock-high.jpg

Rigid lights only
Off-Roading Lights-rigid.jpg

E-10 Series specifications, Spot and Flood combo
Off-Roading Lights-e10-specs.jpg

The light comes with all attachments, mounts, bolts, wires and Led switch, none required to be bought separately.
Off-Roading Lights-rigid-wire-harness.jpg

For security sake, I bought these. around 15USD, its worth.
Off-Roading Lights-security-kit-rigid.jpg

The best part is one can change the colour of light. For instance during fog, I put this cover on and light becomes yellow.
Off-Roading Lights-amber-cover.jpg

Rest of the time, to avoid unwanted attention and protection even though the front glass is unbreakable.
Off-Roading Lights-black-cover.jpg

There are many Rigid torture test videos on the net which you can go through to understand the quality of the light.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 8th February 2015 at 01:31.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 11:33   #140
BHPian

That's great. With 5740 Lumens it will outshine anything else on regular automobiles; but obviously not street legal.
(It looks more like a stadium floodlight ). I assume you use it for offloading / rally purposes only.
The luxury autos have already started the trend of using multiple high power LEDs in headlights and invariably it will trickle down to mainstream cars. In another 5 years LED lights will become the default choice in automobile headlights. RIP halogens .

Last edited by pamiboy : 8th February 2015 at 11:34.
Old 8th February 2015, 14:57   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
The best part is one can change the colour of light. For instance during fog, I put this cover on and light becomes yellow.
Slightly OT, but the colour of the light has no bearing on fog penetration. For fog, its best to use a low powered light as low to the ground as possible.
If fog scattered blue more than yellow, then the color of the fog would be blue, not white. Fog is white because all visible wavelength lights are scattered equally. Fog particles are much larger than the wavelength of visible spectrum to make a difference.
Old 9th February 2015, 13:57   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Slightly OT, but the colour of the light has no bearing on fog penetration. For fog, its best to use a low powered light as low to the ground as possible.
This is so very true. Infact that is exactly what the Amber cover does, it reduces the glare and brightness of the original led. The amber/yellow colour slightly increases the contrast on objects that are visible. Beyond this as you have rightly mentioned, wrt penetration, yellow or white hardly makes any difference.
Old 9th February 2015, 14:19   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
This is so very true. Infact that is exactly what the Amber cover does, it reduces the glare and brightness of the original led. The amber/yellow colour slightly increases the contrast on objects that are visible. Beyond this as you have rightly mentioned, wrt penetration, yellow or white hardly makes any difference.
Even with amber cover, I find that LEDs are too bright. You cannot just wish away 5000 lumens of a 60W oval.
Often rally folks come to me and want to buy something for fog during desert storm night stages. I tell them, go to a truck shop, buy a simple yellow 200rs pair with H3 bulb and fit it low on the bumper.
The wise ones listen, the unwise ones go ahead and buy something anyway, and then wonder why they lost their night vision in fog.
Some will buy a Hella pencil beam, and then get blinded completely by their own light reflecting back.
That said, low beams of most vehicles are the best. If you can't see enough, well, that's what fog is. If there were lights which allowed you to see in fog, airliners and airports will not be wasting money on CAT-III kinda systems.
Fog is a visiblity killer, and the only thing which can help is a true IR imaging camera. The cheap ones are 4500$/piece.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 15:02   #144
Senior - BHPian

My LED 27W mounted on the rail just behind the front fender. The brackets can be rotated so as to provide illumination from real low angles beneath the front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Off-Roading Lights-camerazoom20150208123406717.jpg  

Last edited by wanderernomad : 9th February 2015 at 15:06.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 15:19   #145
BHPian

Hello people,
I've been scouting for some auxilary lights to put on my Safari.
My main purpose is long range for highway driving at night and during rain and fog too.
I had Hella comet 500 which are now broken.
Meanwhile I mounted Hella 700ff on the roof rack, which do not solve the purpose, I get blinded by the reflection from the hood.

Now my query is, should I put the 700ff on the bull guard and put 3003 on the roof rack ?
OR
Should I but a pair of Neolite 1111 and mount the 700ff and neo's between the headlights ?
My experience with lights on roof isn't great, and I don't want to spend Rs 10000 for pair of Hella 3003 to be disappointed again.
Also where can I find the Neolite 1111 in Delhi ? I'm not able to find them anywhere. I've tried Karol bagh and Kashmiri gate market. I might not have visited all the galis

Thanks guys.
Shashwat Verma (v_safari)
Old 10th March 2015, 16:23   #146
BHPian

I have the 700ff on the Bull Bar and it works really well for me. The illumination starts where my low beam ends. So the combination of Low Beam + Hella and even High Beam + Hella turns out to be very good for highway drives.

Off-Roading Lights-1454624_729803460381447_319054820_n.jpg

Will be replacing the Hella soon with 'Rigid Industries 10" E2-Series LED Light Bar - White Driving'. Hopefully this works out well.
ashishy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 18:09   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Hello people,
I've been scouting for some auxilary lights to put on my Safari.
My main purpose is long range for highway driving at night and during rain and fog too.
I had Hella comet 500 which are now broken.
Meanwhile I mounted Hella 700ff on the roof rack, which do not solve the purpose, I get blinded by the reflection from the hood.

Now my query is, should I put the 700ff on the bull guard and put 3003 on the roof rack ?
OR
Should I but a pair of Neolite 1111 and mount the 700ff and neo's between the headlights ?
My experience with lights on roof isn't great, and I don't want to spend Rs 10000 for pair of Hella 3003 to be disappointed again.
Also where can I find the Neolite 1111 in Delhi ? I'm not able to find them anywhere. I've tried Karol bagh and Kashmiri gate market. I might not have visited all the galis

Thanks guys.
Shashwat Verma (v_safari)
For fog only put lights below 4k temp. Also no matter what you put for fog in north india all lights fail. Best option for fog is to put them as low as possible. Between headlights and factory fogs. One way would be to put a bracket where front bullguard fits and then have a horizontal tube with axis rotation mechanism. That ways you can point at your desired height. Contact tsk1979 he has some 'mean' lights.
Ushuaia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 19:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello people,

(v_safari)
Dear Shashwat,
700FF on bullbar is sufficient, dont put anything on roofrack, it will solve your purpose. as name suggests roofrack is to put your luggage not to blind oncoming traffic and it wont solve your purpose of better illumination as well.
Been there done that !

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 21:18   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
I have the 700ff on the Bull Bar and it works really well for me. The illumination starts where my low beam ends. So the combination of Low Beam + Hella and even High Beam + Hella turns out to be very good for highway drives.

Attachment 1348370

Will be replacing the Hella soon with 'Rigid Industries 10" E2-Series LED Light Bar - White Driving'. Hopefully this works out well.

Thank you so much for this confirmation. I'm gonna save the money to spend somewhere else

Quote:
For fog only put lights below 4k temp. Also no matter what you put for fog in north india all lights fail. Best option for fog is to put them as low as possible. Between headlights and factory fogs. One way would be to put a bracket where front bullguard fits and then have a horizontal tube with axis rotation mechanism. That ways you can point at your desired height. Contact tsk1979 he has some 'mean' lights.
Thank you Ushuaia.
I've ordered 3000K hid. I'll be putting it on the factory fitted fog lamps or the ella work lamps. I'll post the pics as soon as I get the hid.

Last edited by ampere : 14th September 2015 at 22:50. Reason: Back to back post merged
Old 10th March 2015, 22:55   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ushuaia.
I've ordered 3000K hid. I'll be putting it on the factory fitted fog lamps or the ella work lamps. I'll post the pics as soon as I get the hid.
I have rigid dually's d2 hyperspot as well as d2 spot but they are only good in offroad conditions. My recent aquisition 2 oledone 10w cree × 4. Rigids are good but if you want to go a step better go for Baja Designs squadron, sports pro or xl pro. If you stick by rigid then go for d2 driving its great addon. For spot nd throw theres procomp 8". Theres a whole lot but mostly for offroad or dunebashing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks