Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Where should I mount the lights?
Option 1 - Between the headlights 84 49.70%
Option 2 - on the sides 3 1.78%
Option 3 - on the roll bar 11 6.51%
Option 4 - on the windshield 9 5.33%
Option 5 - on the bull bar 41 24.26%
OPtion 6 - retain existing ones & add D shackles in the front 13 7.69%
Option 7 - none. upgrade existing lights 6 3.55%
Option 8 - Other. Please specify 2 1.18%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:40   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-Roading Lights

After the recent night OTR, the need for extra lights has intensified in my mind.

Questions:

1. What lights? I don't want highly expensive lightforce etc.

2. Fog (yellow cover) or normal (transparent cover) or combination?

3. Recommended power of bulbs?

4. Best relay for the same?

5. Where to mount?

See the attached pics:
Option 1 - betrween the headlights - most preferred
Name:  Picture 3.png
Views: 7882
Size:  314.3 KB

Option 2 - on the side fenders - don't like it
Name:  Picture 4.png
Views: 7820
Size:  312.5 KB

Option 3 - on roll bar. But will interfere with mounting of the hood
Name:  Picture 5.png
Views: 7785
Size:  314.0 KB

Option 4 - on the windshield. next best option but again getting the roof in may be a problem
Name:  Picture 6.png
Views: 7761
Size:  315.6 KB

Option 5 - on the bull bar. But don't want to mount it there due to higher chances of damage
Name:  Picture 7.png
Views: 7771
Size:  314.0 KB

The current fogs have been removed since there is a rhino hook behind the right fog and interferes during towing.

The other pic i have attached is something i liked and wish to copy.

6. How to mount? 99% of the Jeeps i have seen have their fogs vibrating / rattling / pointing towards the moon / etc. What is the best strategy to mount and on what?
Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 7688
Size:  338.1 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd March 2010 at 19:52. Reason: Sorry, cant remove watermarks. Have added the pics inline instead?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Questions:

- Philips Rally bulbs - 90/100 will do the trick. Buy the double filament and keep them on hi-beam when switched on. Cheap @ 125 bucks a piece.

- I have gone Autopal Clear lens. Should be sharp and direct.

- 90/100 is the safest. Check your alternator VA. Put relays.

- Roots relay or Bosch relay.

5. Where to mount?

See the attached pics:
Option 1 - betrween the headlights - most preferred
Option 2 - on the side fenders - don't like it
Option 3 - on roll bar. But will interfere with mounting of the hood
Option 4 - on the windshield. next best option but again getting the roof in may be a problem
Option 5 - on the bull bar. But don't want to mount it there due to higher chances of damage

The current fogs have been removed since there is a rhino hook behind the right fog and interferes during towing.

6. How to mount? 99% of the Jeeps i have seen have their fogs vibrating / rattling / pointing towards the moon / etc. What is the best strategy to mount and on what?

If mounting them on the fender, I would recommend building a cage for them, such that small rocks and the like dont hit and break the glass. You will also have to build a fog housing and bolt that housing on a metal clamp affixed onto the front fender. The housing will be bolted onto the flat clamp on the fender unlike a small wedgy clamp which is what most regular fogs are fitted with.

If mounting onto the roll bar...what issues do you foresee in damage? Trees? Extremely valid point which I did not think about.
Attached Thumbnails
Off-Roading Lights-dsc00003.jpg  

Off-Roading Lights-dsc00004.jpg  

Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

How about two large Hella or Cibie type fog lights at the base of the radiator, right in between the Bull bar and the radiator insect screen?

I dont know if it will hamper the airflow but then thats the best place. Also add two smaller ones on the fenders or at least one on the driver's side. It will give a period look as well as keep your vision good.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Red Liner & Gogi.

One more quesiton to the list:

7. Narrow beam / dispersed / combination (if yes, then which is in the centre, and which out?)

@ V16: i want to keep that space free for a future winch

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 2nd March 2010 at 16:05. Reason: added reply to V16
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
regular ones at any accessories shop (check the beam pattern before buying)
Quote:
normal
Quote:
depends upon availability anything between 40w to 120w (low amperage would also do because the lights would be extra & will help regular headlights)
Quote:
roots (other brands are also available)
5. Where to mount?
Quote:
between the headlights
Quote:
in this position light will reflect from jeeps hood & will not help as desired (my opinion )
Quote:
all Indian/Chinese made lights (low cost) will have same problem so look for better ones with good bracket.
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Tejas, see this video before you decide on the lights. Position can be decided later.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ARB4WD#p/u/0/JSuS1wzYlYo
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tejas, see this video before you decide on the lights. Position can be decided later.

YouTube - ARB4WD's Channel
Nice informative video. Thanks.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:28   #8
BHPian

Oops - I voted for 'on the bull bar' but after seeing your illustration, i think upgrading your headlamps, would be my most preferred option..
Old 10th March 2010, 13:29   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tejas,

Removing the bull bar will give you a lot more flexibility in placement. Personally though, I love the Classic's bull bar.

Here's what Steiger has done on his immaculately maintained '97 Classic:

Off-Roading Lights-dsc01370.jpg

Between the headlamps (option no.1), you'll be hard pressed in finding a solid mounting spot (bonnet is too thin). Either what Steiger has managed, or on top of the bull bar (Option no.5)
Old 10th March 2010, 19:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tejas,

Removing the bull bar will give you a lot more flexibility in placement. Personally though, I love the Classic's bull bar.
Me too! I'm not removing the bull bar.

Quote:
Here's what Steiger has done on his immaculately maintained '97 Classic:

Between the headlamps (option no.1), you'll be hard pressed in finding a solid mounting spot (bonnet is too thin). Either what Steiger has managed, or on top of the bull bar (Option no.5)
I had lights positioned exactly as he did. (See the first pic). However, that interferes with the standard rhino hook that is attached on the classic. The first time my car needed to be towed, the fog light got damaged.

I bought a set of Neolites from Opera House for 900 bucks and one single Volga one for the rear for 130 bucks.

I was earlier considering Rallye or Hella, but i didn't want to spend 7000+ on lights. If they get damaged, i won't feel too bad.

As for the brackets, i have a design in mind. I'll go to my local welder and get brackets made first to see how it can be mounted between the headlamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Off-Roading Lights-img_0268.jpg  

Off-Roading Lights-img_0269.jpg  

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th March 2010 at 19:20. Reason: typo
Old 10th March 2010, 19:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Where did you get these lights from at Opera House? Im going there tomorrow for the very same purpose and to get myself a Hazard switch, the kind that has the blinking lamp built in as part of the switch. Press the red part (soft transparent rubber/silicone) and it comes on. I think Premier Padmini Deluxe (floor shift) cars used to be equipped with that kind of switch.

Anybody recommend LED fog lamps be? They should be available in Opera House im sure.

Off-Roading Lights-led-fogs.jpg

Last edited by V-16 : 10th March 2010 at 19:32. Reason: add
Old 10th March 2010, 19:56   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Got them from the same lane as atlas motors. his shop has all car tail lights displayed. don't remember his name. Even getting a jumper cable specially made for Rs.668.

Also, remember the guy who sold us the magnetic led light? He has 3 more of those horns available....

Those LED fogs won't have that much power...
Old 11th March 2010, 14:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Got them from the same lane as atlas motors. his shop has all car tail lights displayed. don't remember his name. Even getting a jumper cable specially made for Rs.668.

Also, remember the guy who sold us the magnetic led light? He has 3 more of those horns available....

Those LED fogs won't have that much power...
Tejas, The lights youve bought wont give much light!! I have experience with these aux/fog lights. The neolite that you bought will give exactly 1/3 the light a similar hella/cibie would give. Also from my rally experience, I think aux lights need to be spot lights, since you need them on the vehicle route/line and not at the surroundings to save a lets say an animalcoming onto your car[thats not the speeds you do in otr]
Old 11th March 2010, 14:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Tejas, The lights youve bought wont give much light!! I have experience with these aux/fog lights. The neolite that you bought will give exactly 1/3 the light a similar hella/cibie would give. Also from my rally experience, I think aux lights need to be spot lights, since you need them on the vehicle route/line and not at the surroundings to save a lets say an animalcoming onto your car[thats not the speeds you do in otr]
True. But i need a spread out beam for the OTR. Also i'm replacing the 55W bulbs with 100W.

And frankly, i wanted this as a trial. If i am not satisfied, then i just loose 900 bucks and not more. My main issue is that they need to withstand abuse and water.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

Take some fevibond (rubber based adhesive not superglue) and make a layer around the reflector and casing to make it water tight take care of the wiring routing points, to make em water proof.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks