Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Where should I mount the lights?
Option 1 - Between the headlights 84 49.70%
Option 2 - on the sides 3 1.78%
Option 3 - on the roll bar 11 6.51%
Option 4 - on the windshield 9 5.33%
Option 5 - on the bull bar 41 24.26%
OPtion 6 - retain existing ones & add D shackles in the front 13 7.69%
Option 7 - none. upgrade existing lights 6 3.55%
Option 8 - Other. Please specify 2 1.18%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 16:31   #16
BHPian

Hi Tejas,

I am not an expert in this but you may like to consider bit of my advice.

1. Option?

I think you should go for the combination of Option 2 & Option 5[/COLOR]

In this case you be satisfying your as well as legal requirements, I read somewhere that the fog lights should be below the O/E fitted Headlamps and at places it is written that it should be below the lowest level of Windshield. I think it is also advised to have it in even numbers

2. Yellow & Transparent

Since my idea is to go for Option 2& 5 combi you may like go for yellow beam for the option 5 (narrow Beam) & Option 2 Normal (Dispersed)

In option 2 the light will be at same level of your headlamp so it is advisable to go for Normal light so you will get the combined effect.

Again its my personal feeling that yellow ones are better for spot so put them @ centre as Option 5 with an angle with each focusing in the direction of their respective tyre @ 20 mtr distance

3. Which One ?

I think go with Hella, there is no problem with the kind of light which you will get , prbly you can get the same light with some good bulbs, but the problem lies in the studs used in the low quality fog lights, they easily gets misaligned during OTR and requires frequent adjustment.

One pics & video from our last OTR will tell you why I m favoring yellow.

Off-Roading Lights-p3014837.jpg

video to follow..

Cheers!

Alok

Video from last OTR

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th March 2010 at 17:25. Reason: one logical post
Crazy4Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2010, 22:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
True. But i need a spread out beam for the OTR. Also i'm replacing the 55W bulbs with 100W.

And frankly, i wanted this as a trial. If i am not satisfied, then i just loose 900 bucks and not more. My main issue is that they need to withstand abuse and water.
Tejas: you may want to refer to my appended post on 3rd March under the electricals section. May be of some help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...cations-6.html
Old 12th March 2010, 10:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Anybody recommend LED fog lamps be? They should be available in Opera House im sure.

Attachment 304686
Many don't suggest white color lights for fog situation, in fact I had the similar thoughts untill I landed in the following link, but I have really not tested either yellow or white in foggy situation. You must see it yourself which one does work for you (white or yellow).

Fog lights

But a valid point if you use a yellow, don't use white light with yellow filter on top of it as you loose the light before it comes out of the filter itself. Instead you may wanted to try yellow light inside while glass outside. (see the latest turn light indicators using orange color bulbs in while cover).

Last edited by trammway : 12th March 2010 at 10:45.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got time to fit the front lights.

Complete DIY report here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1795714

Old 23rd March 2010, 20:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally got time to fit the front lights.

Complete DIY report here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1795714

@tejas

Buddy the light look good! what is the cost and did you put a relay too??? I too want to go for fog lamps but do not want to spend too much dough at present.
Please advise!!!
Old 24th March 2010, 16:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@tejas

Buddy the light look good! what is the cost and did you put a relay too??? I too want to go for fog lamps but do not want to spend too much dough at present.
Please advise!!!
These are neolights. Cost 900 for a pair. Currently have 50w bulbs. Will change to 100w.

I have still not got wiring done. These lights I fit myself but I don't have enough experience with electricals. Will get it done on Thursday. Will use a Bosch relay.

I will post some night pics soon.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

To be fully functional mount them low. This will light the ground in front of you in the fog for the simple reason that it will create shadows from bumps which make them easier to see plus the lights will be closer to the objects you want to see. If you mount them high then in a real fog or dust situation all you will tend to see is fog and dust, a nice golden-white cloud of nothingness.

This is also a point of "phoney" versus "real" off roading. Real off roaders see lights mounted high and they know right away the owner is a wannabe. They scoff and snigger at these "cowboys". Real men hang 'em low. It's a macho thing. No joke.

By the way, it is a myth that yellow light penetrates fog better than white light. Science says otherwise, both are the same.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 24th March 2010 at 16:50.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2010, 19:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are neolights. Cost 900 for a pair. Currently have 50w bulbs. Will change to 100w.

I have still not got wiring done. These lights I fit myself but I don't have enough experience with electricals. Will get it done on Thursday. Will use a Bosch relay.

I will post some night pics soon.
This is great. I think that I might also go in for these lights with 100w bulbs!!!
Whenever you get the wiring done please do write a short report on the light throw at night and also your experience!!!
Old 24th March 2010, 19:45   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
This is great. I think that I might also go in for these lights with 100w bulbs!!!
Hmm, before upgrading every light to 100w, it will be prudent to do some calculations.

Generally most of us use 100W for the headlights: 100W x 2 = 200W
Extra lights: 100W x 2 = 200W
Tail lights + turn lights, etc: say 50W max
Dashboard indicators, wipers, horn, etc: Say 50W max. (I am guessing!)

So the maximum load could be 500Watts.

That would draw a current of 500W/12V = 41.66 Amps.

The alternator on the CJ340/Classic can generate only 35A I think, although the older brochure says 25A. In other words, so much lights can drain away the battery.
Old 24th March 2010, 20:00   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, before upgrading every light to 100w, it will be prudent to do some calculations.

The alternator on the CJ340/Classic can generate only 35A I think, although the older brochure says 25A. In other words, so much lights can drain away the battery.
You love throwing a spanner in the works!

It's a valid point. Need to rethink. Do you think a new thread should be started to discuss this?

Plus, there will be more load from the music system, cig lighter that will be used as phone charger and to power additional handheld lights.

EDIT: DD, i can't mount the lights any lower. On the bumper i have the tow hook and need to keep space for the winch. And if i go below the bumper, i'm going to break them during the OTR.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th March 2010 at 20:01. Reason: see edit
Old 24th March 2010, 20:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
EDIT: DD, i can't mount the lights any lower. On the bumper i have the tow hook and need to keep space for the winch. And if i go below the bumper, i'm going to break them during the OTR.
No necessarily. Check out my Jeep and Viji's Jeep. Both have winch and extra lights.

Old 24th March 2010, 20:15   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No necessarily. Check out my Jeep and Viji's Jeep. Both have winch and extra lights.
Where you have mounted the clear lights in yours, i have the rhino hooks attached. And my bull bar is different too! It comes out more and i'll have a wire running all the way along it.
Old 24th March 2010, 20:21   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

IF you use them continually. Key word is IF. Its quite rare that you end up doing it for extended periods of time standing at idle. In the event you do, it should not be for longer than a couple of minutes. When the jeep is sprinting at about 60 kmph, it should not be a problem (albeit your battery will be charged slower since the current out is probably more than the current in).

But from a technical perspective, this is true. I am looking for one of those Bosch waterproof alternators which have a much higher rating. Any leads anyone?

I am running 4 such 90/100 kits on my jeep.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:43   #29
Team-BHP Support

Now I am looking for auxiliary lights. Based on viji's recommendation, I am homing in on Hella 500 series. However, I want two narrow beams and two wide beam lights. However, none of the lights mentioned in the following link specify beam width.

Hella India | Aftermarket

How do I choose the lights based on beam width?
Old 8th April 2010, 12:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am looking for auxiliary lights. Based on viji's recommendation, I am homing in on Hella 500 series. However, I want two narrow beams and two wide beam lights. However, none of the lights mentioned in the following link specify beam width.

Hella India | Aftermarket

How do I choose the lights based on beam width?
Sharath, just check with Viji and use the same setup what he is using. it is custom made and serves as even auxiliary head lamps as well as off road lamps. It provides a narrow beam as well as wide beam which is very useful in ghats while taking sharp turns. i have experienced those lights in his vehicle. they are not readily available. Ask Viji for the formula to prepare one.

Don't go for these Hella and all. they will not serve our purpose 100%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks